Audio & Video Software

General discussion

Converting TIFF files to jpeg

by BobSchwob / August 10, 2005 7:34 AM PDT

Greetings,

A friend scanned 2'' x 2'' slides for me, resulting in tiff files - up to 500kb in size. I cannot figure out how to convert these files to jpeg files, other than deleting the entire 500+ slides and starting over. Any suggestions??
Thanks, bobs.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Converting TIFF files to jpeg
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Converting TIFF files to jpeg
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IrfanView
by ChuckT / August 10, 2005 7:52 AM PDT

One of many free ways is IrfanView.

You open your TIFF, then you save it as JPG.
You can still keep the same filename - it will just have a different extension.

Collapse -
IrfanView
by BobSchwob / August 11, 2005 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: IrfanView

Chuck,

Worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip!

bobs.

Collapse -
converting TIFF photos to jpeg
by chazwink / January 4, 2009 10:50 PM PST

Bear with me I am not a computer expert yet.
How do I conveert a TIFF to a jpeg. I read in a previous posting to open the photo and then save it as a jpeg. How exactly do I do this.
Can I just open it from where it is filed or do I need to move it to my desk top?

Collapse -
Thanks
by uno_Harold / April 14, 2010 11:03 PM PDT

Thanks for your help buddy. It was a quick fix.

Collapse -
Converting 500 Tiff Files to JPEG
by taboma. / August 10, 2005 2:56 PM PDT

Bob, By any chance do you have Adobe Photoshop? If you do there is a function for batch converting using ACTIONS next to the history. Once you have recorded the conversion of one file using record actions in Photoshop. Kind of a nice thing where you can convert all 500 files to a JPEG format automatically while watching the Boston Red Sox.
Trying to find a post that I sent before explaining the procedure. Will send it to you later. You can also find Actions with the Photoshop Help Menu.
Now where the heck did I put that post!!!
CRS obviously.

Collapse -
well, if you haven't checked it out already
by ChuckT / August 10, 2005 3:59 PM PDT
IrfanView's conversion capability can also be batched.

You can either used the window selections to point to a group of TIFF files and set the conversion to make JPG files in the same or different directory,
OR
You can even use IrfanView's command-line ability to do the same thing.
A command line like:
i_view32.exe c:\tifdir\*.tif /convert=c:\jpgdir\*.jpg
will convert all the TIF files in the first directory and place the result into the second directory, all without ever opening the GUI of IrfanView.

I just tried this command and converted 265 files in LESS THAN 1 SECOND!
It was so quick that, at first, I thought that it didn't work. That is, until I looked in the jpgdir and saw all 265 pictures already in there. Wow!

IrfanView's command line capability can do more than just conversions too.
You can set the command line to do things like:
/resize
/crop
/rotate
/dpi to change the dpi info in the picture
/invert the images (such as to make negatives into positives
/contrast to change the contrast a set amount
/sharpen to apply set sharpening filters
... and many more things.

All for free. Way to go ... IrfanView!!
Collapse -
Checked it out already
by taboma. / August 11, 2005 4:22 PM PDT

Chuck, Good for you. Good info.

Collapse -
Batched conversions as well?
by taboma. / August 11, 2005 5:18 PM PDT

Can other 500 file conversions be set up with Infranview in one second as well as generating auto levels, curves, image size and dpi as well as brightness & contrast, or well as converting from jpeg to encapsolated postscript files as Photoshop does?

There are many more actions that can be set up in Photoshop. If Infranview really can do that, than why do so many professionals rely on Adobe Photoshop using PC and Macintosh?
Let everyone understand that Infranview is only available for the PC. AND IS FREE as you have stated before many times. Not available for the Mac.

Most graphic designers use the Mac and not PC in the first place. I do happen to use both Mac and the PC with a few graphic applications. The only difference that I see is using the command key with a Mac and using the control key with a PC.
Infranview may be good enough for some amatures to use. Yet cannot compare to Adobe Photoshop in any way.
Want Infranview? Get it FREE on your PC. Good luck.

Want to do thousands of other photo imaging techniques used by the pros? Get Adobe Photoshop for the PC or the Mac. Not cheap. Just the best. Period.

Kevin

Collapse -
I wasn't comparing Photoshop and IrfanView
by ChuckT / August 12, 2005 4:18 AM PDT
taboma if you have some issues with me please don't air them in these forums. You know how to email me.

I wasn't comparing Photoshop and IrfanView, I was only giving a free solution to Bob's issue, of which Bob has already tried, he replied ''Worked like a charm.''

I am sure that Photoshop is more capable, I would expect that, else why would people buy it? And I do know that Photoshop is used by professionals and amateurs. For professionals I would imagine that they would demand professional tools, simple conversions do not require professional tools.

If I am aware of a tool that is free and is fast I let people know about it. It was not an attack on Photoshop.

Can IrfanView do all the actions that you mentioned (''auto levels, curves, image size and dpi as well as brightness & contrast, or well as converting from jpeg to encapsolated postscript files '')? No, some, but not all. But Bob was not asking for a way to do any of that.

You had insinuated that the conversion with Photoshop may take some time (''convert all 500 files to a JPEG format automatically while watching the Boston Red Sox'') and I added to my suggestion that the IrfanView method time involved would be very short, maybe as short as a second. In fact, it takes longer to type the command line than the conversion will take for hundreds of conversions. Perhaps Photoshop is as quick, but you only insinuated that going off to do something else while the conversion takes place might be more enjoyable.

Bob never said what OS he needed the conversion to take place on. I assumed that it was on Windows, I would usually assume the most common platform unless the requester mentions otherwise. I evidently assumed correctly since Bob was able to use IrfanView to perform his conversion. If anybody needed it for Mac they would have quickly discovered that by going to the website. I don't feel it is necessary to stress the fact. I do often mention that IrfanView is for Windows only, but I don't always.

If Bob had mentioned he needed a conversion tool for a Mac I would have suggested XnView which is another FREE graphics viewer/conversion/+++ tool that has versions for Mac, Windows, Unix (many flavors), Amiga, Atari, and maybe a few more. XnView is very good, and it actually has many times more graphic file format reading and writing capabilities than IrfanView.

I, for now, do like IrfanView better on the Windows platform, though that may change.

As I said, taboma if you have some issues with me please don't air them in these forums. You know how to email me.
Collapse -
Irfanview
by glennlomba / August 12, 2005 1:22 PM PDT

I have many graphics programs, Adobe quark photoshop versions to numerous to list. I have had macs and currently run all pc based. I own a small printing company and have the pleasure, and or grief of learning and using most of the software discussed here. This forum is a real eye opener for anyone in the business. Macintosh has all but priced and or modified themselves out of the small markets and i really don't see much of them anymore.The person who offered Irfanview as a choice, I feel was a very good response. I have used it for quite sometime and allthough it doesn't have all the whistles and bells of photoshop, or for that matter most highend programs, It would be like taking a sledge hammer to kill an ant. Why on earth would you want that much program to simply convert a file is beyond me. If it weren't for the intigration, albiet not that great itself, I wouldn't use it at all. I have used Irfanview on numerous occasion for the shear simplicity. It is very easy to use,and will batch most everything you would need to on any given day. In a nutshell its EASY. My vote Good Choice. Anyone whos ever opened the help file in adobe "anything" knows your in store for an eye opener. Good programs don't get me wrong, I just wouldn't recommend them to the first time buyer thats all. By the way started out setting type with a Compugraphic COMP IV The Compugraphic 7500 Editwriter, now theres old and a whole new chapter.

Collapse -
Comparing
by taboma. / August 12, 2005 1:56 PM PDT

Chuck, Your information is always right-on!
I have no issues with you at all. And, yes, I do know how to contact you from our previous emails.

Your posts always have good information. And as I have told you before, GOOD INFO!
Have you ever thought about trying out a Mac for your Graphic needs? I am sure that there are retailers in your area that would be delighted to have you work with a Mac and show you the capabilities. OSX is a very stable system and the software from Adobe is outstanding for graphics.
Adobe is also for the PC user as well (tried to imply that info on the last post.) Adobe will also let you download a trial version of all their software. You can try out the full version to your hearts content. The only thing you cannot do is to save your files. Go to adobe.com.
Thanks,

-Kevin

Collapse -
Working with formats
by rub / August 14, 2005 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Comparing

One of your respondents suggested burn to disc first and then compress with PSP9 ( or 8 or 7, whatever you can get a discount on ). Depends on your schedule and your preferences. I'm scanning old pix ( Epson 3170, tiff format ) and reducing individually, dependng on content. PSP 8 offers variable compression showing file size and results. You can vary the compression to get the quality you're satisfied with. Some content does not compress well without leaving obvious jpeg artifacts. Some can compress by 20 or 30 , and aren't good enough to sweat the artifacts. I would suggest that you try this first until you get a feeling for what the process is accomplishing. But if you have a tight schedule for storing the results, the CD/DVD routine is a good one, in uncompressed format. IMPORTANT. If you have a compressed pic which you perform subsequent operations on, like changing contast, brightness, color balance etc, every additional save in jpeg degrades the pic so you need a master, unchanged, which is good enough to permit further work at acceptable quality, a somewhat better than minimum acceptable master. A tiff or bmp CD will accomplish this if you want to be safe, but they do chew up a lot of memory

Collapse -
Photoshop ain't for everyone
by bucca / August 12, 2005 8:26 AM PDT

taboma, you are out of order. I've been a graphic designer for 30 years but have no illusions about the complexities of Photoshop for a "newbie".
The original question was how to transfer tiff files to jpg. How in heaven's name that gave you a platform to push Photoshop as the answer is beyond my comprehension. And others it seems.
The first two answers provided were perfect for someone who is obviously new to the game... the humble right click!
But humility, it seems, is not something you know much about.

Collapse -
Photoshop
by taboma. / August 12, 2005 2:06 PM PDT

Read my reply to Chuck. He supplied you with the right info that you needed.
Wish I had stock in Adobe. Seems InDesign is on a wave right now.

Collapse -
Irfan View
by TheGermanGirl / April 15, 2010 8:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Photoshop

I'd go for IrfanView as well. You can download it for free, it doesn't take much space on your pc and works well. You can do a lot with it. What you miss in comparison to Photoshop, you can find with Gimp. This is free as well and has nearly the same features as Photoshop. Thus I can only recommend it. Both of the above mentioned are able to save your pictures in different formats to be chosen in the process of saving.

Collapse -
Irfan Viewer
by nikijj / October 19, 2005 12:57 AM PDT

I downloaded this product after reading all the discussions. Purpose specifically was to have a multipage fax viewer. My system wont let it load. I have XP Professional, and Office Prof 2003, Norton Anti-Virus and MS Spyware. IBM ThinkPad laptop and networked to my other office. I clicked the "allow" notice I got but it wont open from my desktop. I get msg saying a report will be made to Microsoft. Thank You. Advice from anyone is welcome.
niki

Collapse -
Re: wont let it load
by ChuckT / January 5, 2009 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: Irfan Viewer

There has got to be something seriously wrong with your computer, or whatever file you are getting. There is nothing in the IrfanView installer that is harmful or problematic that should be an installation issue. Where are you getting the install file from? Click here for the direct site IrfanView install file.

In fact, if you really want IrfanView can be just a file that you run, with no installation, by simply running the "i_view32.exe" file. There are features that will not work (like the many other formats that can be read and/or saved to), but the IV tool itself will just work fine and dandy.

Collapse -
Multi-page faxes
by ChuckT / January 6, 2009 4:54 AM PST

I have used IrfanView to view, and create, multi-page faxes, actually they are multi-page TIFF files. So I know it works for that purpose.

Your problem, though, is that your computer is having a problem will installing IrfanView. I don't think that is a problem with IrfanView, because I just don't see the problems, as you've described. I have never had a problem with installing it, on any of many different Windows platforms, all the way from Win3 and up to Vista, including servers.

You might give us the info that the reported error says, and maybe someone here can figure out what it is telling you.

Collapse -
BTW, you are stealing the thread
by ChuckT / January 6, 2009 5:00 AM PST
nikijj, you really should start your own thread to continue this problem. This message thread was not started by you, and people who come to read this would be more interested in reading about converting TIFF files, not installation issues.
Collapse -
Automate photoshop
by santhosh / August 11, 2005 9:35 PM PDT
Collapse -
Automate
by taboma. / August 12, 2005 2:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Automate photoshop

Great links Santhosh, where did you ever get those links?
Nice info. I am still trying to find my file on macros and actions. May have deleated the file by mistake.
Good leads. Will check them out.
Thanks!!!

Collapse -
by mooseantlers / August 11, 2005 10:53 PM PDT

I use Paint Shop Pro's 'batch process' function.

For what it's worth, first thing i'd do is burn the TIFF's to a disc. At least they won't be compressed. Then use the batch process routine, create a different folder [or sub-folder] to output the new format to. Using PSP9, all you do is browse to the folder where your TIFF's are at, click 'select all'. Then, using the drop down menu, select what format you'd like to convert the pics to. Then select a folder you want them to go to [you can create one if you want]. If necessary, you can click on 'options' and select how much compresion you want to use].

Good luck!

Collapse -
by taboma. / August 12, 2005 2:46 PM PDT

More good solutions! Since you know about Tiff and Jpeg differences, please explain the differences between them. Why use one over the other? If you know anything about RAW files, please explain that also. I for one, have no idea what a raw file is used for.
On my options for saving in Photoshop; Jpeg compression I know about somewhat. Tiff I use for certain application conversions. Raw? Don't have a clue. Recently I asked some of my coworkers if any of them knew anything about RAW FILES? No one has worked with raw files.
Seems to be of interest with the Digital Camera Forum also.
Would be interesting to know about Raw Files and how to use them.
Thanks mooseantlers. I went to one of your other posts about sending files over the internet right now and that post was right-on. Nice post to Communications and Messaging. I will check out that Forum.
Keep your posts coming to the Graphics Forum also. Good stuff!

-Kevin

Collapse -
Converting TIFF files to jpeg [RAW file questions]
by mooseantlers / August 18, 2005 10:24 PM PDT

This is what I know about RAW files [so far].

When a digital camera records a photo, it captures the data at the image sensor. When you set your camera to a setting such as 'scenic', 'action' or whatever, the camera's electronics 'processes' this information internally - shutter speed, white balance, sharpness, etc. What will happen is that the photo is compressed [jpeg].
When I first got my Digital Rebel, I tried doing searches for RAW & what it stood for [jpeg is an acronym, etc]. Turned out that I was reading too much into this. Simply put, RAW format is the RAW data captured by the image sensor without any prcoessing done to the individual photo.
As a non-profession 'picture taker' , there are good and bad sides to using RAW [the 'bad' doesn't mean BAD . . read on].
Not ALL 'photo software' can handle the RAW format; therefore, if you decide to use it, make sure that your software can handle it [again, not pushing any one product, but Paint Shop Pro 9 - and the newer version PSP X can]. Just make sure that you have time on your hands when you do download your photo's as each photo must be 'processed' - but now it's done on your computer.
As an example, when I use my Canon [set to RAW], and PSP 9, when I download my pics [via 'batch process'],as each photo comes on the screen, I can adjust: the rotation, the exposure setting [+/- 2 stops], the sharpness and the 'white balance' for 'as shot', cloudy, sunny, shade, flourescent, flash. .
Additionally, since the camera is now capturing all this data, it can be painfully s-l-o-w as it saves it to your memory card - the files are LARGE! Be prepared to have a large capacity memory card. As for taking 'action shots', at least with my camera [and my limited knowledge], forget it! It takes too long to write the photo to the memory card.
Here's my 2 cents worth: Take shot with the camera set to the RAW; then take a 2nd shot using one of your camera's 'presets'. Given the versatility of today's photo software, you may probably be able to achieve pretty much the same results when using the 'preset' as you did when you used the RAW setting. The end result is in what you see 'on-screen' and in the printed copy. If you can, add text to a copy of the photo [add RAW or 'preset . . which ever you desire - just so you know which is which] & print it out [whether at home, your local Wal-Mart or whatever]. Do you, or others, actually see a difference? I've done this & truthfully, I, nor others who viewed the 2 photos couldn't!.
Do keep in mind that, if you go to [say, Wal-Mart], I don't beleive their system can handle RAW files. You'd need to save the photo in . . a TIFF format[?].
As for differences between TIFF and JPEG. TIFF is an uncompressed format whereas JPEG is. You can shoot with JPEG & batch process your photo's from your camera into TIFF if you like. That way you can edit & save without 'fear' of any quality loss. Obvious since the photo was taken using JPEG, there is already some compression involved [and maybe some minor quality loss] that you can never get back. But it helps [me anyway] in loosing anything more of it.
Believe me, being an absent-minded boob, i've made my fair share of hoo-rah mistakes. That's why i've learned to treat my 'original images' from digital just as one would negatives from a film camera. I burn the originals to disc & THEN play around with them. More than once, i've overwritten the originals & now they're gone forever!!!!
Good luck, take lots of pics & experiment!

Collapse -
raw files: very important information
by edersch / August 22, 2005 9:54 AM PDT

Pixel Perfect : The digital studio demystified
Digital photography's raw deal
By Lori Grunin
Senior editor, CNET Reviews
June 3, 2005

I've been toddling along, discussing methods for organizing and otherwise herding the various media types--both digital and analog--that bedevil us. And whaddaya know: one of those devilish little buggers has found itself in the center of a storm of controversy. OK, maybe not a storm, but certainly a noisy cocktail party. Who ever thought that people would get worked up over a file format? Raw files have certainly become a critical staple of digital photography, but I suspect the more far-reaching issue is user frustration over the endless hassle of keeping up with the rapid changes in archiving technologies. But I'll get to that later. First, the boring facts.

Our story begins in the gruesome innards of the OS file system. An image file bit stream, the actual binary encoding, is generally composed of several parts. The two key parts that concern us are the raster data, the pixel coordinates and color values that define a picture; and the metadata, which can be as simple as a version number for the format or as complex as a history list of transformations plus the settings of the camera when you shot the picture or essential parameters for decompressing a compressed bit stream. A third component of the file is the header, which provides the info necessary for the file system to recognize the appropriate applications for opening the file. For formats with complex metadata, correctly rendering the image for the screen, a printer, or other output device requires complex software that understands how to read and apply the metadata.

Raw files have very complex metadata, because the raster data in them is so...well, raw. It's the image straight off the sensor, without any noise reduction, sharpening, color-space transformations, gamma correction, and so on. You likely wouldn't recognize the raster as even remotely resembling the photograph you shot. But its utter formlessness is why we like it so much: instead of applying all these transformations in the camera, with its relatively underpowered hardware and constrained algorithms, you can use a powerful computer with sophisticated algorithms to work interactively and nondestructively.

Because the raw data and the types of voodoo the camera manufacturer performs on it reveals important information about the inner workings of the camera (which used to be called trade secrets but now travel with lawyers as intellectual property), raw-file formats have traditionally been proprietary. As a result, you generally had to use whatever utility the vendor supplied, no matter how agonizingly slow or obtuse, to work with your images. More recently, manufacturers have begun to supply software developers with an API (application programming interface) that allows them to use the camera manufacturers' algorithms without ever seeing what's going on in the raw black box but providing the user with a standard interface for working with all the different formats. Of course, proprietary is relative: many third-party developers happily reverse engineer the file formats and build their own tools.

DNG, ****, Adobe calling
As with proprietary hardware, people worry that one day their software and the associated files will become inaccessible. It's not a critical worry when you're talking about a paper you wrote in college 20 years ago, but when it's photographs--either your memories or your livelihood--you get a bit more emotional. As a potential solution, Adobe introduced the Digital Negative (DNG) format, a raw enhancement that separates the metadata into two types: common and proprietary. Thus, software that supports the DNG specification can open and render any manufacturer's raw file, but the manufacturer can pass through any custom info it wants for use by its own raw-processing utility. And because DNG is an extension of the latest version of the TIFF format--one of the longest-lived, most documented bitmap formats around--it theoretically shouldn't take much effort to implement. TIFF was the obvious choice for one other reason: it's the only standard file format with support for color depths beyond 24-bit, which is essential for raw and high dynamic range imaging. Adobe topped off the attraction by guaranteeing that there would always be software available to read DNG files.

Microsoft's plans for supporting raw files within Windows conveniently dovetails with Adobe's DNG strategy. The next generation of Windows' imaging engine, code-named Avalon, is designed to work with a file format that looks eerily similar to DNG; instead of ignoring the proprietary metadata, however, Avalon will check the registry and see if there's a format-specific application on your system (which Microsoft confusingly refers to as a codec). If not, it will try to download one from the appropriate Web site. Unfortunately, though, the next version of Windows, dubbed Longhorn, isn't due until next year--and it's essential, because the current version of Windows doesn't natively support the necessary 32-bit color depth. Microsoft also has a tendency to drop proposed features en masse as it tries to get a new Windows off the ground, though I don't think Avalon will be one of the casualties. As an interim solution, Microsoft will be providing an update, the Microsoft Raw Image Thumbnailer and Viewer for Windows XP, which will allow users to view Nikon and Canon image files as thumbnails in Explorer, as well as preview and print the full images. (I haven't yet researched Apple's OS plans, but I can't help but believe that a closed system deserves proprietary file formats.)

Canon and Nikon rub photographers raw
So everything was going swimmingly until March 2005, when the bits hit the fan. Canon released the new version of its raw software, without legacy support for the D30 dSLR's files. Then, rumors circulated--which Nikon substantiated--that the NEF raw files produced by the D2X dSLR had encrypted white-balance information. Suddenly, the photographic community felt threatened: what if all manufacturers dropped support for older versions of their raw formats? What if we have to give up our favorite third-party raw-processing apps, such as Bibble, Qimage, and Capture One, because they don't license the software developer's kits and can't read that encrypted information?

On the Web, outrage forms communities. This particular outrage resulted in a grassroots movement with an elegantly designed Web site, OpenRAW, devoted to promoting the cause of requiring that manufacturers publicly document their raw formats.

Excuse me a moment while I implode.

Why? First, because the whole brouhaha distracts from a far more important issue that affects a far greater number of people: it doesn't matter if you can't read the file, because by the time the format becomes obsolete, you will probably have lost the ability to read the media on which it's written. Where's an OpenMedia site? As I migrate from platform to platform--Bernoulli, Jaz, Zip, CD-R, DVD-R, DVD+R--I can almost feel myself unwittingly shedding files like a trail of breadcrumbs. I suppose the good news is that I transfer archives so frequently that I never get to find out how long any particular media will really last.

Second, I find many of the arguments specious. The most commonly voiced of these is the property rights argument: "I own the photograph, and I should be able to do whatever I want with it. I can't do that if I can't use the software I want." Now, I'm no lawyer, but from what I know about technology and what I've gleaned about copyright law as a writer and an editor, they've just shot themselves in the ***. According to the U.S. Copyright Office, "Works that have not been fixed in a tangible form of expression..." are not copyrightable. Though you've seen the picture in your head and saved the photo to a flash card, a raw file is not fixed--ironically, that's the reason we love it--until you've opened it and the software has applied all parameters specified by the metadata.

A lot of people also complain about how difficult proprietary raw files make their work flow. I agree that there are tons of inconveniences with having to use several different applications to work with an image file and that distributing the photos requires converting them to another format first. But I think--OK, I hope--that OS support as outlined above will alleviate most of the problems. As for the rest, well, we're in good company: every day, presenters worldwide struggle with the hideous pain of getting content from a PDF file into a PowerPoint presentation. I haven't heard any demands for an OpenPDF or an OpenPowerPoint format. (Surprisingly, I haven't heard of any third-party tools either. Have you? I'd love to know--drop me a line.)

The fact that Nikon charges customers who drop $5,000 on a digital camera another $100 for the raw-conversion software--that's just disgusting. Maybe it's illegal, too, through some byzantine interpretation of the antitrust laws (as an offense known as tying, something I have studied).

I, too, have gazillions of raw files. And all of the above explains why I recommend that, when you archive digital photos, convert them to TIFF. Keep the raw, but count on TIFF. Now if I could just figure out what media to use for archiving...

Collapse -
Canon lost my business
by mrobzo / September 1, 2005 12:22 AM PDT

I don't care what Loris' stupid arguments are. To me, it's stealiing. Why did you have to reprint that garbage!

Collapse -
Converting files to any format...the easy way
by dand3 / August 12, 2005 9:59 PM PDT

I have been using a very powerful...and very reasonably priced program for years now. It is extremely easy to use, and quite reasonable...considering what it does. The program is quicktime pro from apple...available for both windows and macintosh. Try it, and you'll never look back. I'd be lost without it...and I process 2000 digital images in a year. The conversion to any format desired, is intuitive and easy. I have lots of other software to do this job, but quicktime pro is the best. The images created are also self opening when attached to email, and you do not need the pro version of quicktime to view any images.

Collapse -
Converting files
by taboma. / August 13, 2005 12:44 PM PDT

Can you tell us and demonstrate to us how to convert the files? Do not leave us hanging.

Kevin

Collapse -
TO ALL, have you noticed that
by ChuckT / August 14, 2005 8:56 AM PDT

TO ALL:
Talk all you want, push, prod, argue, debate all you want about all the various methods and tools that you prefer, or can't live without,
BUT!
have you noticed that the originator of this thread, BobSchwob has already resolved his issue way back on 08/11/05 2:34 PM.

Let's move on.

Collapse -
Noticed that also.
by taboma. / August 15, 2005 8:04 AM PDT

Yes. BUT?the Paint Pro info was a nice addition to this discussion. Useful information for all. One other way to convert, as well as Quicktime from Dan3. Who knew that?

I am still looking forward to the answer from Dan3 and using Apple Quicktime as another way of converting files. I, for one, have never used that approach. I also have Apple Quicktime Pro. Maybe others are looking for that information also.
Kind of neat to have three different ways to convert TIFF files to JPEG. Perhaps, there are more?
Please note, this forum is for MAC and PC, both.

Bob Proffitt, our moderator, is the only one that can end a thread and move it.

Dan3, need your info using Quicktime.

Kevin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.