Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

converting the itune to MP3

by Bedouin1 / December 7, 2012 6:49 PM PST

I downloaded my first album from itunes (I do not have an Apple computer or iphone etc) and that is fine, except that I do not listen to music on my computer. The point was to transfer it to my MP3 player. How do I convert it to MP3?
Thank you

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: converting the itune to MP3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: converting the itune to MP3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: convert
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 6:59 PM PST

Assuming it's in .aac format (easy to check by looking at the file extension) should help you find a converter program.
But if your player supports aac it's not even necessary. Did you look at the specs?

Collapse -
re - converter programmes
by Bedouin1 / December 7, 2012 9:24 PM PST
In reply to: Re: convert

Thank you. Player does not support aac. I saw possibilities in google but can I be sure they are safe?
For example:

Collapse -
Why not get iTunes to do it for you?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 10:07 PM PST

Open iTunes and go to Preferences.
On the General Tab, click on Import Settings.
From the dropdown menu, choose Import Using MP3 Encoder
Click OK & OK

Still in iTunes, select the track(s) that you want to convert to MP3
Now right click the selected tracks and choose "Create MP3 Version"

On completion of the conversion you will have the originals, still intact, and an MP3 copy. Drag the MP3 copies onto the desktop and put them on your MP3 player as normal.

Collapse -
(NT) That's much better!
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 10:13 PM PST
Collapse -
No, not really
by Bedouin1 / December 7, 2012 11:02 PM PST
In reply to: That's much better!

not really ...

Collapse -
by Bedouin1 / December 7, 2012 11:00 PM PST

I think import seeting are for before downloading.
I think the option to 'right click the selected tracks and choose "Create MP3 Version" ' is not available on latest iTunes 11...

Collapse -
by Bedouin1 / December 8, 2012 2:30 AM PST

Hello P
I owe you an apology! YOU ARE 100% CORRECT and I did it your way. (I think my mistake was "click OK & OK again) anyway I did it, and THANK YOU.

Now that I have your configence, please may I ask whether there is a way to download DIRECTLY into MP3 - to avoid converting afterwards (and perhaps the quality will be better?) Shall I put this request as a new question?

Collapse -
Tracks downloaded from the iTunes Music store
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 8, 2012 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: Apology

are in AAC which is a higher quality than MP3
Better to download from the store in AAC, convert, and after you have put the tracks on your MP3 player, delete the MP3 from iTunes.
Always better to keep the higher quality one for conversion later.

Not sure if that import setting will do anything with the downloads from the store but, just to be safe, switch back to AAC in the preferences, once you have converted the tracks, before downloading again

Collapse -
Re: converter
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 10:12 PM PST

Most are safe (no malware, won't harm your computer, no scam) and quite a lot will be free. I don't have any personal experience with any of them, since I never bought something in the iTunes shop, so don't have any .aac file around.

If it doubt, you can try to find them on a trusted download site (like our, tucows, brothersoft etc) and see if there are reviews there.

This is a search on our site:|platform%3DWindows&filterName=licenseName%3DFree|platform%3DWindows
It gives much more programs than applicable, but the top one, for example, looks good to me.

Collapse -
by Bedouin1 / December 7, 2012 11:05 PM PST
In reply to: Re: converter
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.