Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Converting Powerpoint to Excel

by Kentley / November 19, 2005 6:53 AM PST

I have tried copying and using "paste special-text" a total of 10 PT slides(one file) into an xls spreadsheet. Unfortunately, several lines in pt come out as one cell in excel and I need to make each line its own separate cell. Also, whenever there is a carriage return in a pt slide it appears to translate as starting a new cell. I can use a time consuming method of going into the excel spreadsheet, adding blank rows and retyping the lines of text/data, but that will take a very long time(the xls spreadsheet already has 1250 rows and 10 wide columns. Any advice or a handy macro? I am using Powerpoint and Excel 2000 and have a Dell Dimension 2350 with XP SP2.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Converting Powerpoint to Excel
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Converting Powerpoint to Excel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Papa Echo / November 19, 2005 11:36 AM PST

Before you paste, select all cells of the Excel worksheet (click at top left corner, "cell" 0,0,), then Format> Cells>Alignment tab> Merge cells. You now have a "celless", actually a "one-cell" worksheet. Now paste as usual. You may be able to set page breaks and margins at Page setup and review and adjust at View>Page break view. (I have not done this before, and hope that it works for you, or gives you an idea.)

Collapse -
Excel sheet
by bfletcher39 / August 10, 2012 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Try...

Ok i am not real good with powerpoint or excel but just sen a excel spreadsheet tha looks ust like a powerpoint presentation. you were even able to clink on drop down screens or click on a paticular part of the sop then it would take you to another tab..Can anyone tell me what this process is and how to design the same type interactive sheet. And i do know for sure that it is excel because thts the program tha it opens up in. I need to know how to do in order to design an SOP in the same format.

Thanks in advnce for your help

Collapse -
Just interested.
by Kees Bakker / November 19, 2005 5:23 PM PST

Why would anybody want to transfer information from Powerpoint to Excel?

And a possible work-around to make things a little bit easier: use Notepad as intermediate storage. It's easier to edit, maybe.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.