Computer Help

General discussion

Converting Cassette Tape to Digital Audio

by seyabye / October 28, 2004 1:09 AM PDT

Is there a hardware or software that will allow me to convert years of accumulated cassette tape to digital audio for storage on my hard drive. I'm sure there is but not sure where to look

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Converting Cassette Tape to Digital Audio
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Converting Cassette Tape to Digital Audio
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Converting Cassette Tape to Digital Audio
by billzhills / October 28, 2004 3:22 AM PDT

Simplifed you have to hook your player to the line in port on your sound card. An application to capture incoming audio and burn to CD.

See: http://www.wavecor.co.uk/tutorial.htm

This is one of the applications that I use to transfer cassetts and L/P Records to CD. May not be the best but it does the job.

Others will share more

Bill

Collapse -
by Stan Chambers / October 28, 2004 12:23 PM PDT

There are many recording apps. on the market. I use Nero v. 6 for recording and burning to cd. Nero will encode to MP3 as it is recording.
For recording to your hard drive, Robert Proffitt's favorite seems to be Freecorder. It's free and you can get it here:
http://www.freecorder.com/
I haven't used this program and don't know if it has encoding capabilities, but there are lots of others out there. Here is one site, http://www.free-mp3-music-player-downloads.com/encoder_decoder.html
A Google search for Free mp3 encoder reveals many more.
Any encoder that uses the lame codec, usually works well.

Collapse -
by llucyy / October 29, 2004 6:07 AM PDT

1.Tape deck with Line Out
2.Connect to Line in on your PC
3.Download Audacity freeware Soundforge
4.Save as .wav or .mp3

Collapse -
by wightie / October 29, 2004 6:46 AM PDT

I have an analogue to digital converter with which you can hook up any audio equipment such as cassette/tape radio tuners to coaxial or optical digital inputs such as minidisc recorders,digital receivers/decoders. Also converts composite video to s-video or vice versa. The product may be bought from Maplins.

Collapse -
answering ...Converting cassette tape to digital audio
by timewrp / January 26, 2005 5:52 PM PST

there is software CREATIVE...MUVO/TX FM

Collapse -
Recording from Cassette to PC
by eprimetime / January 27, 2005 5:00 PM PST

I cannot believe that someone else didn't mention this....I guess it goes to show how much of a geek I am, and that I spend to much time on the computer.

www.plusdeck.com

It is an internal 5.25" audio cassete player/recorder, that can be controlled via software or the buttons on the front. It IS pricey, at around $200 list, but I'm sure can be found for much less now.

I believe the included software will automatically look for breaks in between songs and split up the sound files into individual songs, so that you don't havew to do that manually yourself. Basically put a tape in, and start the recording software, and both side of the tape are recorded and then split into songs. Put a tape in and walk away. Sounds good to me!

Hope that helps.

John Elliott

Collapse -
If you have hundreds of tapes....
by indiecds / January 29, 2005 11:36 PM PST

If you have hundreds of tapes you want to copy it seems to me that the best solution has already been posted and will cost you $200. Whether $200 is a lot to you or not I don't know but most of the suggestions made here entail recording one song at a time. Just one cassette tape could include 12 songs times 200 tapes equals 2400 songs. That would take a long time doing it one song at a time. Seems to me the previous suggestion even though it cost $200 is worth the price.

The suggestion is copied below as it was posted by John Elliot:
-------------------------------------------------

http://www.plusdeck.com

It is an internal 5.25" audio cassete player/recorder, that can be controlled via software or the buttons on the front. It IS pricey, at around $200 list, but I'm sure can be found for much less now.

I believe the included software will automatically look for breaks in between songs and split up the sound files into individual songs, so that you don't havew to do that manually yourself. Basically put a tape in, and start the recording software, and both side of the tape are recorded and then split into songs. Put a tape in and walk away. Sounds good to me!

Hope that helps.

John Elliott

Posted by: eprimetime Posted on: 01/28/2005 1:00 AM

Collapse -
It may be easier to use an external CD Recorder
by Stefan** / February 1, 2005 12:07 AM PST

Kind of similar to the approach mentioned above with the in-comp tape deck, but in this case, you use an external tape deck (which you likely have) and a stand-alone CD recorder such as the one I have from Harman Kardon (CDR2). Using this method, the tracks are auto-divided on the CD based on the quiet space between tape tracks and with an auto-reverse tape deck, you don't even need to flip the tape. These external machines should be down in price now and probably cost the same as a good sound card.

With the HK, the audio quality is as good as the tape you start with. Now that the recording is archived on a CD, you can then pop the CD into the computer and convert to MP3s if you wish using Nero or my fav CDex.

In the end, it's still a bit of work and sometimes easier just to search the file sharing services for songs that people have already converted. I mean, is it illegal to download a copy of something you already own?? Of course, this won't work for the obscure titles you have.

Stefan

Collapse -
Plus Deck 2
by rockermom / July 10, 2005 4:50 AM PDT

My Mom (age 84) purchased Plus Deck 2. Problem I am having is installing it. There is no 2" slot on pc's casing. I am no computor geek but I think I could do if I have someone knowledgable to guide me.

Collapse -
Recording from cassette to computer.
by oldcarl / January 27, 2005 7:32 PM PST
Collapse -
Recording from cassette to computer
by cdcdawg / January 28, 2005 5:17 AM PST
Collapse -
PolderbitS one of my favorite
by indiecds / January 29, 2005 11:26 PM PST

I've used other programs but PolderbitS is one of my favorites and I keep coming back to it. It comes with both a recorder and an editor so you can add effects like fade in and fade out etc.

You can read reviews and download it here:
http://www.download.com/PolderbitS-Sound-Recorder-and-Editor/3000-2169_4-10342432.html
The free download is fully functional for only 14 days, so don't download it until you're ready to use it. If you like it you can pay the 29.95 to make it permanent. Support is excellent and most upgrades to newer versions are free.

I especially like it's simplicity.

Collapse -
MusicMatch
by tbcass / January 27, 2005 7:37 PM PST

The free version of Music Match Jukebox which comes with many new computers does an excellent job of this. I have been using it for years.

Collapse -
Musicmatch . . .
by jlhenry / January 29, 2005 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: MusicMatch

The Older versions (I think ver. 6 and earlier) would do this, but now you have to purchase the plus edition for this function (i.e., the line-in).

Collapse -
MusicMatch
by Mister_Al / February 1, 2005 2:33 PM PST
In reply to: Musicmatch . . .
Collapse -
musicmatch 10...ughh
by chicagoparrotheads / March 26, 2005 12:56 PM PST
In reply to: Musicmatch . . .

I had version 9 and the line in recording worked pretty well. It prodded me to upgrade to 10. The line in recording no longer senses the volume correctly and the tracks aren't being split. I'm still within the 30 day period so I'll probably get my money back and get something listed here that's free.

Collapse -
Musicmatch
by jackfran / January 29, 2005 9:26 PM PST

Yes the easiest way to do this.

Collapse -
using musicmatch
by cmj42orion / February 7, 2008 11:29 AM PST

I have used musicmatch to copy cassettes to the computer. I moved and had my stuff in storage for over a year. It seems like I bought some connection real cheap, can't find it. went to best buy and they did't have a clue how to do this. can you please tell me how you did this using musicmatch.

Collapse -
Converting Cassette Tape to Digital Audio? Yes you can!
by satish777 / January 27, 2005 8:11 PM PST

hi seyabye

i have been doing this for a few years now and the process has come out with decent results. this does not need any special equipment per se, but requires you to have a HUGE amount of patience. the process is like this...

1. almost all the sound cards / motherboards in the market have a line-in stereo socket, besides the audio-out and mic-in sockets, locate the line-in socket.
2. buy or make a stereo male to stereo male cable
3. connect 1 end of the cable to the line-in socket and the other end to any sould player's headphone socket. i use my sony wm fx 193 walkman
4. use a basic software like musicmatch jukebox or an advanced one like cooledit to record from "line-in" or "mixer" and save the file as a wav or mp3 file

you may have to experiment with the timing of pressing the play button on ur player and the record button on your software and also on the volume settings.

i hav no special attachments towards a sony walkman or cooledit software, its just that they have been performing well for my purpose Happy

hope this helps in ur "digitization" project.

regards

Collapse -
converting cassette tapes to CDs using a burner
by Carol77garr / January 27, 2005 8:41 PM PST

Here is my problem: I'm not as knowledgeable as to know about musicmatch or cooledit (what is it?) so I bought an audio dubbing cable from local store. Once I save this to a wav file, how do I find it in the computer to get it to a CD? Can I just put this cable into the mic place in computer & play the tape & then how do I find it after? How do I know where it is? I have windows XP and would appreciate help because I have hundreds of c. tapes to convert over.
I want to move in the future & need to get rid of these c. tapes before I move. This is a timely subject since I've been wanting to do this for a long time. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Collapse -
putting audio tapes on to CD's
by Kamela / February 26, 2005 8:11 AM PST

I've got a similar problem I downloaded Audacity and I can get as far as putting the music on to CD but it won't allow me to do so. Please let me know if thers another free software I can download in order to enable me to do this and that would be easy.

Collapse -
Please clarify.
by Art / February 26, 2005 3:37 PM PST

A little clarification maybe need here. You said;
"and I can get as far as putting the music on to CD but it won't allow me to do so."

Collapse -
AUDIO CASSETTE TO PC FOR BURNING TO CD
by TORNADO_CYCLONE / April 8, 2009 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Please clarify.

I have read all the comments from the forum and I fail to see a solution for my problem.

I have XP PRO and all the necessary hardware to do the job but, I can't get the process to work.
At times it will record and save and not ope
or open with no sound
or not save at all and this is usising various programs and procedures. Any suggestions.

TORNADO

Collapse -
Re: audio cassette
by Kees Bakker / April 8, 2009 5:02 AM PDT

Please tell about your hardware, the way it is connected and your software. And what exactly goes wrong.

In case of troubles: start simple. Don't record. Only play and listen. Does that work?

Kees

Collapse -
by bdycus / January 27, 2005 8:19 PM PST
Collapse -
Groove Mechanic
by henrydog3bones / January 27, 2005 8:29 PM PST

I have been using a program called Groove Mechanic from a company called Coyote I can't seem to paste the address here but a search on Google will get you there.

It is a paid for program but after trying all sorts I saved a lot of money by deciding on this.

You can record and save any type of audio, records, tape, voice ect in either CD quality wav or MP3 and de-click, de-hiss and de-rumble to your hearts content.

All upgrades are free for life and his tech support is first class.

Works for me.

Collapse -
Importing analog signals into your computer
by gerrys8 / January 27, 2005 8:45 PM PST

I've had very good luck with importing cassettes into my computer using Musicmatch Jukebox software. You go into the recording setup and tell it to use "Line In" as the source. Set the recording to "wav" file, then I just record the whole side of the cassette. Import it into Windows Media Player and edit it to make individual songs out of it. Then you can burn it to CDs using either software. Of course, you should be aware of copywrite infringement, but shouldn't have a problem if it's for your own use.

Collapse -
Creative MP3+ USB works great for cassette transfer
by Steve359 / January 27, 2005 9:15 PM PST

Get a Creative MP3+ USB external sound card. It has RCA, mini stereo, and digital inputs and outputs, so you can interface your PC/Laptop with your stereo or other audio device. The software for cleaning up the noise from tape hiss, LP crackle and pops is included and worth the price of the unit alone (under $40). It is easy, fast to learn, and the results from cassette are fantastic. Then get yourself a copy of MP3 Direct Cut to split up your album sides into songs, and you're good to go. It will take some experimenting to get what you want (too much noise reduction will ruin a song) but you will love the results.

*Don't* install the CD-Burner plugin if you already have CD burning software on your PC! That is asking for trouble!

Collapse -
by Robert K / January 27, 2005 9:28 PM PST

If you are fortunate enough to have a Soundblaster sound card you have all you need to convert your cassette tapes or even old vinyl LPs to wav or mp3 formats. Cassette tapes are the easiest in that all you need to do is connect a cable between the ?Tape Out? jacks on the cassette deck and the ?Line In? jack on your computer sound card (usually the blue jack on the computer). The cable has 2 RCA Plugs on one side and a stereo mini phone plug on the other.

Occasionally there are problems getting the sound from the ?Line In? to work. This is usually a setting in the computer which can be corrected.

Open the Creative Wave Studio (Soundblaster only) or other audio recording software, queue your tape, and press Record on the computer. Experiment with audio recording levels. It is better to record with the levels a little low than too high. Levels too high will cause distortion. Most wav editors offer a feature called ?Normalize? which will basically correct the audio level.

If you'd like to record from viny, you will have to connect the turntable to a stereo receiver that has phono inputs, and connect the cable from the computer Line In to the "Tape Out" jacks on the receiver.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.