Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Converting .BIN and .CUE files to AVI files

by GeoffDGreen / July 3, 2005 11:33 PM PDT

Is there a means of converting .BIN / .CUE files into .AVI files.
i have a slide show programme that is very good but outputs to .BIN/.CUE files and I want use them in some other software that does not import .BIN/.CUE files - only .AVI files.

Geoff Green

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Converting .BIN and .CUE files to AVI files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Converting .BIN and .CUE files to AVI files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by SillyName / October 5, 2005 3:22 PM PDT

this is a little late and can be tricky. If you still need help with this, email me at I can help you out with the converting .bin to .avi. Ive written a guide on converting DVD to AVI... Bin to AVI is pretty much the same.. so let me know.

Collapse -
BIN to AVI guide :)
by SillyName / May 28, 2006 4:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Hey.

Heres how Ive been doing it.

Alright, to start off you will need daemon tools. I hope if you have BIN/CUE files, you already have this program. If not, download from and install it. You will probably might be prompted to restart your computer. You don't have to. DTools should start with windows once its installed, but double click the desktop icon for it and right click on the red lightning icon in the system tray. Go to emulation, and select All options ON. Next, right click once more and go to the virtual cd/dvd rom menu, and then set number of devices. This is completely up to you on this next option, if you want one, or two.. or even four. For what we are about to do, just choose one. And daemon tools will display a small window letting you know its setting up that virtual device. You might be prompted to restart our computer once again, and I suggest going ahead and restarting this second time so that your virtual device will have no problems.

Once we have our virtual device set up, you are going to want to mount the .CUE. so left click on the DTools systray icon, and select the device that is stated as having no media. It will bring up a "Open file" box. Navigate your way to where you have your BIN/CUE file stored, and select the .CUE.

Now this will mount the CUE file into the virtual drive. Depending what software you have installed for DVD/Video CD's, you will be prompted with what to do. I say close all windows that may pop up after mounting the Cue. Now, we have part 1 of 3 setup.

Part 2 is pretty simple.

Download DVD Decryptor from here:

Install it after its done downloading and Run it from the new shortcut on the desktop. It should automatically select the Virtual DVD Drive, because it contains something.. if you have other CD/DVD drives with CDs/DVDs in them.. this might make this process more confusing than it really should be. I say empty all CD/DVD drives you have of any cds and we can move on easily. Select the "DVD" drive that has the movie Cue in it. Now, you are all set to go. A few more options here and we are done with Part 2.

In the DVD Decryptor window, where it displays menu options at the top, File, Edit, View, Mode, Tools, and Help. We want to click on Mode. Now you will be shown a menu of different Modes that you can use. File, IFO, and ISO. You want to click IFO.

On to the last step, There is a destination that needs to be set for our files. Click the folder with the magnifying glass on it. Now you will need to set up where you want to save the files. I suggest putting it on the desktop in a folder named after the movie.

Once we have that done, we can click the BIG button with the DVD image and text, big green arrow, and hard drive icon on it. This will then rip the DVD onto the Hard drive where you specified, in IFO mode.

After its ripped, it will sound a little catchy jingle. Click OK and close DVD Decryptor.

Now for Part 3 in this little ordeal.

Download Auto Gordian Knot from here:
This is what we will be using to make an AVI out of the files we ripped from the Cue. Install it and you should be setup.
Its got to install 3 or 4 things with it, AutoGK; of course; the XviD encoder, the DivX encoder, and probably the Audio encoder.

Once installation is done, run AutoGK from the shortcut on your desktop. You will see its a pretty nice and simple application on the outside. In the Input file box, click on the folder with the green arrow. Navigate to the folder named after the movie on the desktop, that was setup earlier, or where ever you have deicded to put it, and select the .IFO file, and then click Open.

Next, lets setup a destination for our finished product, the movie in .avi format. Click on the folder with the green arrow, at the end of the Output file box. Type in the movie name, note, that you dont have to type .avi on the end of it.. it will be put on there automatically.

That was step 1 in AutoGK, now on to the fun stuff. All step 2 contains is your Audio and subtitles. If its not a DVD ISO, then it will most likely not have subtitles.. even if it does, I dont suggest it, unless its a foreign film, and you need the subtitles.. =)

There will be two drop down menus under "Audio Tracks", the first will be setup already with the movie audio in audio track 1. Audio track 2 is not selected by default, but I always go ahead and select it. So, click on the empty white drop down box. Select the audo, for my movie its English AC3 2ch audio, for yours it might be more ch or less ch. Select it and move on to step 3.

In step 3, we will be handling size and quality. In the white drop down box that has black text, it has 2 CDs (1400 MBs) selected by default. Lets change this, as we do not want 2 seperate AVI files for one movie. Click on the box and select 1/6 DVDR (746 MBs).
Now that we have selected the quality and size, all that is left is steps 4 and Add Job.

In step 4 you will see a button labeled "Advanced Settings", click on it. I usually go with default options, which is Auto. But in this window, you will want to set up which codec you want to use. I usually go with XviD, its my favorite. You can chose which ever one suits you. DivX or XviD. Now that we have selected our "Advanced Settings", theres only four more buttons to press. Lets start by selecting OK on the "Advanced Settings" box, if you have not done so already. Next, under step 4 is a button called Add Job. Click that. Now your movie has been added to the job queue. You will want to make sure your movie is selected in the job queue, and click on the "Start" button next to the "Add Job" button. Now you are done, and are indexing the movie.. everything from here on out is automated, and will use alot of CPU time and Clock time. Clock time as in hours on a clock. To convert the movie to AVI takes about as long as the movie itself, or double it.. depending on what type of system you have, as in speed wise, and how much ram you have. I suggest doing this on your way to bed, or before you go to work. Now the hardest part of ripping movies is the wait. =) The second hardest part is to have to do it all over again, in case the quality didnt come out good. Ive had to re-encode 3 movies.. making the quality higher each time.

You are all done.. and now for the conclusion.. but wait a minute, didnt I say four buttons? Yes, after the movie is done encoding you will want to close AutoGK. Taking up another button to be pressed. I know, it was clever. Wink

Thats my 3 Program guide to Converting Bin to Avi. Now, to burn it, you should have no problems here.. I'd use Nero.

Don't hesitate to ask me any more questions guys.

Email @

Collapse -
Broken Links.. replaced below.
by SillyName / December 24, 2006 12:40 PM PST
In reply to: BIN to AVI guide :)
Collapse -
I cant edit posts?? :(
by SillyName / December 24, 2006 12:43 PM PST
Collapse -
.bin &.cue to avi
by acwby / September 23, 2006 9:15 AM PDT

I have not found any programs so far to convert bin and cue files to avi but if you run vcdgear you can convert them to mpeg hope this helps

Collapse -
There is an easier way.
by fitzp2006 / March 4, 2007 6:42 AM PST

I have recently tried to do what the other person said, but installing all of those extra programs was useless and didn't work. All you need is daemon and some sort of dvd burning software. I used Nero Vision Express v. 3. What you do is mount the bin/cue file onto daemon, then in the files in the mounted image look for the .DAT file. Nero can use this file to burn a dvd. simply add this file to the project. It will copy the file to your computer then add it to the project. Then simply burn. Thats it. Much simpler than the other way. No converting necessary. Hope this helps you and others.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.