Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Converting AVI video's to a format that can be played on DVD

by awswank / June 19, 2006 8:47 PM PDT

How can I convert AVI video files to files that can be burnt and played on a DVD player quickly and easily???? I would like an option that would not be too expensive to buy. If anybody can help me on this it would be much appreciated I find it so hard to get my head around most of this computer stuff!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Converting AVI video's to a format that can be played on DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Converting AVI video's to a format that can be played on DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need software...
by GeeBee / June 20, 2006 12:48 AM PDT

...such as Nero, or Roxio.

Using whichever you decide...

(only a search engine away : dvd video recorder software)

...the DVD software is capable of doing the job for you. You basically choose "DVD video" as the disc format, then select the files you wish to put on the disc. The software then converts the files (from original uncompressed AVI, to compressed MPeG2) without much extra work entailed, although you do have to choose playing times and resolutions of the DVD you're trying to create.

However, not ALL AVI's will be converted. Many other video files use DIVX/XVID/WMV compression, and can also have the "AVI" extension (don't blame me, I didn't name them!), and those certainly won't convert to MPeG2 DVD video formats.

To find out what your AVI's are really, go to this link :

Gspot ("Graphics Spot") will identify the video and audio codec used by a file when you drag and drop the file in it. Standard AVI files are uncompressed Video and Audio, and if Gspot shows your AVI's are using some coder/decoder (codec), you'll almost certainly not be able to drag & drop & convert to DVD video easily. Sadly it's not often very simple...

Good luck,

Collapse -
by awswank / June 20, 2006 6:03 PM PDT
In reply to: You need software...

Thanks so much, your information was so helpful. Turns out my avi files do have codec's installed (xvid)so I assume that will make it quite difficult to convert so I dont think I will bother. Thanks again for your help!!!!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) --Ulead Software
by damasta55r / June 21, 2006 3:12 PM PDT
In reply to: THANKS!!!!
Collapse -
convert avi files
by sp8smate / June 23, 2006 11:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
Converting AVI video's

Converting AVI files is quite simple actually. Download DVDSanta, it has a free trial. Then go to this site - and install the divx codec and the xvid codec. This should be all you need.

As the previous poster mentioned, download GSpot and have it check your avi file. It will then confirm if you have the correct codec installed.

Then run the avi through DVDSanta. When it is finished you can view the dvd compliant file through Power DVD, WinDVD or whatever. If you are happy with the reult you can then burn to dvd. If you like DVDSanta then you can buy it.

I have converted several avi files with DVDSanta and the only problem was due to not having the correct codec installed. Once installed DVDSanta worked fine.

Do not give up so soon, this is really quite easy.

Collapse -
Try winavi
by jc1234 / June 23, 2006 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Converting AVI video's

you can try it but it aint free but does a simple convert

Collapse -
by megina / June 23, 2006 6:16 PM PDT

Easy way to transfer AVI movies to DVD try It is very simple but very good program. You can download trial version try it you will like it.

Collapse -
Collapse -
Nero rocks!
by moerose / June 27, 2006 6:56 AM PDT

I do a TON of downloading, and was very frustrated when I couldn't convert my files. Nero Ultra Version 7 makes it so easy, you'll be amazed. Good Luck!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.