Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Converting an LP record (pre CD's folks!) to CD

by Mark2 / February 18, 2005 9:31 AM PST

Can anyone point me in the right direction about transferring an LP record to a CD? I have a turntable, receiver, etc....just not sure how to convert/burn.

thanks,
mark

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Converting an LP record (pre CD's folks!) to CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Converting an LP record (pre CD's folks!) to CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Recording
by Stan Chambers / February 18, 2005 10:03 AM PST

Mark2, look in the digital music forum. You'll find more info than you need.
Best of Luck

Collapse -
LP's to CD's
by geno52 / February 20, 2005 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: Recording

I have done many of these,, I use dbpoweramp, a system that costs bout $14 and is great. Also jetaudio is another to convert files. Roxio is another to convert.. punch up convert xp's to cd's on google and you might get lots of ideas.

Collapse -
LP's to CD's
by Mark2 / March 3, 2005 12:18 PM PST
In reply to: LP's to CD's

Thanks for your reply...does the dbpoweramp remove the pops & hiss? Can you separate the tracks? Those are probably the only 2 things I care about...for $14 if it can do those two things let me know.

thanks,
mark

Collapse -
Burning LP's...nothing to it.
by Modemmogul / February 21, 2005 11:03 PM PST

The other post offer some good starting places. All you need is a special audio cable from the computer to the amplifier and some decent software. I like Nero personally. Nero costs about $50-60 dollars but its worth the costs. You get what you pay for. It has a great wave editor and recording is easily accomplished. There is also a high compression plug-in for reducing the bit size of files. This becomes important when your trying to cram as many songs on a disk as possible. It's an interesting and fun process to learn for music in your collection that is not very mainstream and hard to find. Having said that, I have to tell you that downloading music already in the mp3 form is much more efficient. Most mp3's out there have been converted from digitally mastered CD's so they are very clear. I had some Jazz albums I recorded that were hard to find on the web but other than that its all out there. I'm not endorcing bootleg music, there are plenty of pay sites around now days for downloading music. Let your conscience be your guide.
Modemmogul

Collapse -
Lp's to Cd's
by Mark2 / March 3, 2005 12:22 PM PST

THanks for your reply...Nero sounds good...I'm hoping the editor feature can take out pops & hiss noise as well as the ability to separate the tracks...does it? Right now I have one of those 'Y' adaptor plugs which I have attached to my turntable..just trying to figure out where to connect it to my pc...just hoping I can tinker with the conversion hopefully before I get the software...any hints?

thanks,
mark

Collapse -
Computer connection
by Modemmogul / March 5, 2005 2:51 AM PST
In reply to: Lp's to Cd's

My computer actually has an Audio-In input plug for the y-adapter cord. If you don't have an input plug you might have to install a sound card that has one.
Nero has a very good wave editor that allows you to apply all kinds of effects like fade in and out, mute, and to remove pops. You can alter the wave file just about any way you want. Read the link devautier left under your initial question. His page has a lot of good advice on setting up and recording. The Nero homepage has information as well. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Collapse -
LP to CD - some things I have learned
by dvautier / February 28, 2005 1:40 AM PST
Collapse -
Good Advice
by Modemmogul / March 1, 2005 3:58 AM PST

Thats some good information for anyone attempting LP to CD copy. It probably sounds a little tricky if its your first time but after you get everything set up it's pretty easy. I agree with having good equipment and a decent turntable with a new needle. Garbage in, garbage out. Good site and good information dvautier. I think you know the ropes. The shorter cables is a good tip.
Modemmogul

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.