Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

Converting a .zip to an .xpi file

by Harv / January 18, 2013 9:36 PM PST

I'm trying to insert a Roboform-Firefox file into Palemoon browser, and I need to convert the compressed .zip file to an .xpi file. Right-clicking the Roboform-Firefox .zip file to rename it Roboform-Firefox.xpi does not change the file type---the file is still a .zip file, which becomes corrupted and unreadable. What is the step by step procedure for the conversion? "Hide extensions for known file types" in folder options is UNchecked, but I still can't get the file converted.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Converting a .zip to an .xpi file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Converting a .zip to an .xpi file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
A zip file is usually OPENED and your file is inside.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2013 2:56 AM PST

I have never "converted" a zip to any other file type. I have "opened" zip files and copied files out of the zip folder/file.

Are you new to what a zip file is?
Bob

Collapse -
Yes I do.
by Harv / January 19, 2013 4:03 PM PST

But, I have to change the zip file to an xpi one in order for the Palemoon browser to install the Roboform files, so that I can get Roboform to work within the browser. I would appreciate it if you could provide the steps for accomplishing that, despite the fact you've never had to convert a zip to any other file type as you asserted. Thanks.

Collapse -
Reply to "Are you new to what a zip file is?"
by Harv / January 19, 2013 4:08 PM PST
In reply to: Yes I do.

should have been: "Yes, I know what a zip file is". Sorry for misreading your question.

Collapse -
Good to know that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2013 3:15 AM PST

As there is no need for me to go over zip files why not zip this into a .zip file and you're done?

Beyond this, you need to ask Palemoon's support.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
FWIW: Pale Moon and Roboform
by Carol~ Forum moderator / January 20, 2013 7:10 AM PST

Harv..

I'm assuming you already read these instructions and had no luck. (Also see the last 2 posts on the 2nd page)

In a different thread the following month, the same developer states:

'Roboform has always been a problem, and the Roboform developers simply refuse to provide support for Pale Moon. A few people have been able to get it to work in the past by using a "lite" version .XPI but no guarantees that that works or will continue to work. Roboform's refusal to support Pale Moon or to even provide support for getting it to work in Pale Moon has been a thorn in quite a few users' sides - especially with the growing popularity of this browser, and more and more third party tools including Pale Moon support, they may actually be looking at losing paying customers.

Most compatibility issues there are with add-ons are the result of one or more of the following: ..
'

Sorry I don't have anything more constructive to add. Sad

Carol

Collapse -
Following instructions from Palemoon Forum
by Harv / January 21, 2013 2:20 PM PST

Carol, I found this workaround from Moonchild on the Palemoon forum [sixth reply down]: http://forum.palemoon.org
/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=424.

I've done everything---up to a certain point---i.e., bundling the Roboform-Firefox files into a zip file. However, converting the zip file to an xpi one is where I'm having a problem. You just can't relabel [rename] file.zip to file.xpi by typing xpi in place of zip---doing so results in a corrupted, unreadable file.

Palemoon is a Firefox based browser. The purpose of the workaround is to install the Roboform-Firefox file as a
Firefox extension file to get Roboform to work. But, Firefox will only accept xpi files into its Extension list. Whether this method will work or not in the Palemoon browser will not be known, until I find out how to convert the .zip file to .xpi.

Collapse -
See if this helps ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 22, 2013 2:28 PM PST

you out. http://3d2f.com/programs/54-023-zipzag-download.shtml

Says it handles zip and xpi compression and "Some of the features include extract, add, delete, self-extract (sfx), unsfx, convert, batch add, batch extract, merge, run, install, checkout, view, test, virus scan, repair. Has a build-in viewer that works with most formats."

This link indicates that although Mozilla expects an xpi file extension the file format of the compressed extension file is actually zip so renaming the file from whatever.zip to whatever.xpi should be simple. If you are having trouble renaming the file try doing it with the command prompt.

If for instance, the file is located at C:\downloads\zipfile\whatever.zip you simply open a command prompt and type the following:
ren "C:\downloads\zipfile\whatever.zip" whatever.xpi (the quotes are only needed if the actual path has spaces in it but I placed them in this example so you could see how they are used. Since your actual path and file names are different edit the command to reflect actual path and filenames.)

You might also try renaming with Windows Explorer as you have been doing but enclose the file name in quotes. Thus you start with whatever.zip and rename it to "whatever.xpi" and those quotes you need to include will not actually be included in the renaming so the file name ends up as whatever.xpi

Collapse -
A note of caution..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / January 23, 2013 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: See if this helps ...

WOT gives the site (to download zigzag) a poor rating. (Read the comments)

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/3d2f.com

The same holds true for zigzag.com: http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/zipzag.com

This site says it carries a $19 fee. I would be leery of this one too. Note the link below "Download" where it says "Before you download Scan your PC for errors". Despite the fact WOT gives it a safe rating, I'd steer clear of it. But that's just me.

My hopes are..... with Edwards instructions you might not need it. .Or you'll be able to find something less questionable which will do the job for you.

As I've said in the past, WOT may not be 100% correct 100% of the time, but it sure is a good guideline.

Carol

Collapse -
Thanks for the info
by Harv / January 25, 2013 2:53 PM PST
In reply to: A note of caution..

I clicked on the link and did not install any files from the web site, because it seemed outdated and the instructions were too complicated. I've always had a problem with files. However, Grif has been able to help me in the past. Do you know how I can get in touch with him?

Collapse -
I'm not very adept at using command prompts
by Harv / January 25, 2013 3:01 PM PST
In reply to: See if this helps ...

Also, I don't know what you mean by renaming the file extension with Windows Explorer. Right now, Roboform-Palemoon.zip is located on the Desktop. As I previously mentioned, I tried to rename the file to
Roboform-Palemoon.xpi by deleting "zip" and typing "xpi" in its place, but it resulted in a corrupted, unreadable file. I really don't have a clue when it involves file management.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.