Laptops forum

Question

Convertible advice

by fernando98 / December 29, 2012 7:25 AM PST

Hello everybody,

I am looking for a device that combines a decent computational power and a touchscreen. I think a "convertible ultrabook" suits my needs but I don't seem to find the perfect one.
What I am looking for in such device is:
- Big enough display (something around 11.6-13 inches)
- Wacom enabled
- I need an UNIX distro so the easier it is to install it the better (I guess everything running a non-RT version of windows can virtualize Linux but if you can fully install it it'd be perfect)
- As light and thin as possible

I've seen these so far but all fail at some point:
- Dell XPS 12 Duo (I really like the desing and idea but no wacom enabled)
- Lenovo IdeaPad 13 (No wacom enabled plus I do not like the design and seems less portable than the Dell)
-Asus Transformer Book & Asus Vivo Tab (seems great but there are no in-deep reviews nor release date available)

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Convertible advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Convertible advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Road bumps ahead.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2012 10:40 AM PST
In reply to: Convertible advice

I'm getting noise about UEFI support in LINUX. You wrote UNIX and I haven't heard if BSD UNIX is out with UEFI support.

Be sure you find out first as the world has changed and I don't want you to learn this after you bought the laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
by fernando98 / December 29, 2012 7:31 PM PST
In reply to: Road bumps ahead.

I've been reading about the EUFI Boot Secure. Sorry for being so general mentioning UNIX, the OS I need to use is Ubuntu and maybe BackTrack (but maybe in a future I need different Linux Distros). For what I've read a classic full installation might be hard due to the UEFI but virtualization is still possible, isn't it? Is there any problems at all virtualizing a Linux Distro in Windows 8 or in a convertible device?

I feel the Asus convertibles would be my best choice however I can find any information on what they support and what they don't, they were supposed to launch in December but clearly they are not. Has anyone got any information about them? Is Asus falling back?

Also, if anyone knows a device that is not listed above please feel free to suggest it. I forgot to mention that I do not like the railed ones like the Sony Vaio 11, I don't like the idea of my screen being locked to one single angle.

Thanks for your time and have a nice day.

Collapse -
About UNIX
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2012 1:51 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

When folk call out UNIX, I have to think they mean it. As to Virtual Box, reports is that it still works on the new UEFI machines.

With lackluster sales of Windows 8 devices I'm sure makers are scaling back plans. I'm guessing you are looking at vaporware devices. That is, some announcement and has yet to hit the shelves or catalogs.

MSFT is playing hard ball with the industry at their peril with UEFI and more. I hesitate to mention Mr. Stallman's stance on this but this round is where we need more open hardware than closed.

Once you find your machine and if you want to boot UBUNTU, be sure to check and ask in the UBUNTU forums if they have it working.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.