Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

convert audio from dvd to mp3

by ralphak / February 9, 2011 9:35 PM PST

Can I import audio from a dvd disc directly into Audacity 1.3.12 Beta (with ffmpeg library) and then convert the file to mp3? Thinking that I could, I dragged a file from the disc into Audacity, but the error message says that Audacity doesn't recognize the .VOB file. If I should be able to do this, what am I missing? If not, what do I need? I don't want to make an investment in the project because it's only a couple of dvd discs.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: convert audio from dvd to mp3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: convert audio from dvd to mp3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cheat?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2011 1:56 AM PST

Since Audacity can record what you hear you can play the DVD and record it directly. Done.

You can also look at software like VOB to AVI like SUPER VIDEO CONVERTOR (sorry but it's free, has no watermarks and folk can learn how to use it.) Now with the video in some other format we can use VIRTUAL DUB to split off the audio into a MP3. This is not an offer to write a tutorial on said FREE titles but to supply the parts I use to do this.
Bob

Collapse -
Convert audio from dvd to mp3
by ralphak / February 10, 2011 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: Cheat?

Bob, thanks for your reply. I'm not following you in the first part of your reply. The problem that I encountered was not being able to bring the dvd file into Audacity. Are you suggesting that I don't need to do this? I tried dragging the file into Audacity and also using File/Import/Audio and in each case Audacity says it doesn't recognize the .VOB file. I tried File/Import/Raw Data but after making the selections under the Import Raw Data dialog box, nothing happens. If I need to do this some other way, please explain.

According to Audacity, in order to edit audio files from a cd, the file must first be ripped into a format that Audacity can use. Does the same apply to dvd although ripping the dvd is what I'm in effect trying to do in the first place?

Collapse -
No rip or rip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2011 2:46 AM PST

Sorry but the first method I noted does not involve RIPPING.

The second method did but since it's all free software and there are tutorials out there I declined to write such in replies.

-> Again, since Audacity can record what we hear, we can avoid ripping and just record what is played.
Bob

Collapse -
Download this one here at Cnet.
by ahtoi / February 10, 2011 7:31 AM PST

Pazera audio extractor. Give it a try since it's free.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.