Windows 8 forum

Question

Conversion from Windows 8 to 7!!

by dmbakerA / March 30, 2013 12:56 AM PDT

After 7-8 months of incessant problems, issues, and hidden menus, I cannot confortably use Windows 8. As usual, Bill has released a product that is either not ready or is poor in design. (why such large ICONS - is the country entering a phase of poor eyesight?!)

I undertstand/heard that there may be a fix to rid oneself of Windows 8 and install Windows 7. I am a XP fan, but as that is being phased out, Win 7 is its successor.

Would like to be able to rid myself of 8, and go to 7 - any recommendations ?

Thank you

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Conversion from Windows 8 to 7!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Conversion from Windows 8 to 7!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
But first try one thing?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2013 2:34 AM PDT

Most folk I know stick with 8 after installing Classic Shell or Start 8.

http://www.classicshell.net/ is free so try that first before you go driver hunting and then hunt down Windows 7.

Did you call the maker and ask if they have the instructions for this?

In closing, without the make, model number the forum can't check it out.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Windows 8 is designed for touch
by liverbirds / March 31, 2013 7:55 PM PDT

You may have a better experience if you have a touch screen since Windows 8 is designed for touch..

Collapse -
conversion 8 - 7
by dmbakerA / April 1, 2013 12:36 AM PDT

Liverbirds:

Thanks very much for the response - it appears that my Lenovo G580 does not have touch screen availability, which is why, when I hook up my digital camera and it touch here to indicate where you want to go, nothing happens. Why do/should I have to touch both the key board and the screen?. Conceptually, I don't think I want to "think" like 8 - it is like the "Taxi " crew trying to understand Jim Ignatowski, and as such, they all try to think like him - as they attempt, they all say, "lets not go there!!"

Again, appreciate the thought - familiarity is a powerful tool, which is why XP and Win 7 is effortless, fun and more productive, at this stage. Also, when I look for "information" on any one screen when I am working, the LARGE ICONS block all of this out - what is the deal with this? I have tried to make them smaller or to convert to info, but to no avail. 8 just isn't for me.

dbaker

Collapse -
I hear you but have you tried Start8 or Classic Start?
by wpgwpg / April 1, 2013 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: conversion 8 - 7

I don't like Windows 8 either, but Start8 and Classic Start make it look and feel a whole lot like Windows 7 as Bob points out. Start8 costs $5 and Classic Start is free. They're a lot cheaper and easier than trying to go back to Windows 7. Some computers made for Windows 8 will not run Windows 7, so if you haven't tried Start8 or Classic Start, you really should.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
You could have driver problems
by orlbuckeye / April 8, 2013 5:15 AM PDT

moving backwards to Windows 7. So I would try the Start8 solution first.

Collapse -
Answer
Icons size on desktop can be changed much like Windows 7
by orlbuckeye / April 8, 2013 5:21 AM PDT

To change the Icon size on your Desktop >

1. Press the Ctrl key on your keyboard.

2. Roll your Mouse wheel.

3. You will see your Icons change size depending on what way you roll your Mouse wheel, when you have your Icons to the size you want release the Ctrl key.

Note: For a laptop just plug in a USB Mouse (is the easy way)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.