Desktops forum

General discussion

Controlling dust ...inexpensive.....

by John Robie / April 21, 2004 1:42 PM PDT

Due to room layout and furniture, my 3 computers are not 36 inches off the floor but 3 inches off the floor. Learned after my 1st computer some time ago about it collecting gobs of dust inside even after cleaning every month or so. Light bulb lit up inside brain....ah... how do air conditioners/furnaces handle it. Look at the back of your tower, normally there is a blank perferated area which looks like a fan should go there, or maybe there is a fan there other than the fan of the power unit. Go to your friendly electronics/computer store and buy a fan guard (aprx $1.35), bend the pegs out for attaching screws leaving enough space to put in a filter cut out from an air conditioner/furnace filter. If you don't have a fan there, buy one for aprx $12 or less, installing it so that air is being blown into the case sucking through the filter. Don't worry about the numerious other holes in your case for ventilation. Somehow it seems that dust tends to not intrude where there is even just a slight breeze flowing out. Just that one fan blowing in filtered air will surprise you on how clean your insides remain. If you have other fans pulling in outside air install a fan guard and filters on each of them.

OK, so you don't have any way that a fan can be mounted on the rear of the tower. Do like I did with one of mine. Cut a circular hole in the side of the removable case being careful for where the screw holes will be and then use double fan guards for holding the filter. Ah..find out the power cord is too short..can buy cord extension and also Y connections.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Controlling dust ...inexpensive.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Controlling dust ...inexpensive.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Controlling dust ...inexpensive.....
by gobob2 / April 24, 2004 5:36 AM PDT

Great idea.........Thanks I will try it

Collapse -
USE YOUR GLUE GUN
by nworley / April 24, 2004 7:33 AM PDT

John:

If you purchase a hot glue gun ($1.00 at Dollar Store) and just tack your filters in place, then they can be replaced very easy. The beauty of the hot glue gun is that you can peel the glue off anytime you choose. You can tack them inside of your panels with the air holes and it has a secondary effect. It will muffle some of the noise.

Norm

Collapse -
Thanks Norm, good tip. (nt)
by John Robie / April 24, 2004 8:09 AM PDT
In reply to: USE YOUR GLUE GUN

Collapse -
Leave Dust and Forget About It
by pfeffer3 / April 24, 2004 11:58 AM PDT

I asked a man who had done 20years in US Airforce with computers, and then a stretch with IBM, and now has a computer repair shop to fight off retirement boredom, and he said forget about dust. "Start stirring it up and get it jammed in between connections."

Collapse -
LOL..... I also
by John Robie / April 24, 2004 5:28 PM PDT

spent more than 20 years in the USAF and that old geezer must be rowing with one oar. I'm trying to keep dust OUT not stir it up. Guess he never cleans a customers computer.....but leaves it caked up...gads!!!

John,
A 72 year old geezer

Collapse -
Well, I Have Followed His Advice
by pfeffer3 / April 24, 2004 10:11 PM PDT
In reply to: LOL..... I also

And have never had a problem even though dust builds up.

Collapse -
Re:Well, I Have Followed His Advice
by obomney / April 29, 2004 6:30 PM PDT

Will you let the dust build for twenty years or so?

Collapse -
Re:Leave Dust and Forget About It
by farriore / April 29, 2004 10:15 PM PDT

I had a computer that I thought had gone totally South. On boot up it would go so far and ask for an installiation disk and then would not recognize the CD. I decided that it couldn't hurt to open the computer and check the connections before taking it to the repair shop. When I saw all the dust on the outside grills and inside, I decided to vaccum. The vaccum removed gobs of dust. Then tried the boot up and everything worked like a charm. Now my motto is "When all else fails--clean".

Collapse -
It just goes to show farriore
by SteveGargini / December 1, 2004 3:38 PM PST

Just what I have suspected for sometime.
That DUST really DOES cause problems.
Hats off to you for taking a looksee and spotting all that dust, and it must have felt great to have your computer working again.
Our local repair shop charges

Collapse -
Re:Controlling dust ...inexpensive.....
by budtillery / April 29, 2004 7:42 PM PDT

Hey... why not just tape a filter over the fan intake?
No cost or screwing-on... easy to remove if filter is washable. Tape is cheap!
budtillery

Collapse -
Re:Re:Controlling dust ...inexpensive.....
by budtillery / April 29, 2004 7:48 PM PDT

OOooops... I forgot to caution all you retired USAF vets (like me)... when putting a filter over your air intake,,, be doggone sure it has a good enough flow capacity, or your doggie will overheat!
The urethane foam (not too dense) will work for that, and you can cut it to any shape or size. I use one in my CPAP.
Good luck!
budtilllery (again)

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Controlling dust ...inexpensive.....
by catsaver / April 29, 2004 9:38 PM PDT

Will the thin, (1/8" to 3/16" thick, 99-cent, foam filters like Home Depot has work okay? Dust is a major problem where I am & I want to protect my first-ever computer, but I am concerned about using the wrong thing & overheating it.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Controlling dust ...inexpensive.....
by gasman_de / April 30, 2004 12:41 AM PDT

I worked in communications in the Army for 18 years, and keeping inside of electronics equipment is VERY IMPORTANT, while the dush insulates and keeps the heat in, BAD IDEA!! An inexpensive and efficient filter can be made from an old pair of ladies nylons stretched over a kitchen scrub pad, the flat rectangular green or blue kind made of plastic, then tape it over the air inlet. It doesn't restrict the air flow, and the nylon mesh is an excellent filter media.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Controlling dust ...inexpensive.....
by shinton / April 30, 2004 6:30 AM PDT

Well, I went the more elaborate method. I work for a filter factory as a machinist so I couldn't do anything the easy way. I doubled up and put a second case fan on the side to pull more air in and so it would pull it easier thru the filter mentioned below. Then made a little bracket to mount a piece of redi-bolt to so it stuck out about 4 - 5". It looks like an air filter mount on an old car engine. I cut a piece of 1/8" plexiglass into an 8" circle, hole in the middle for the redi-bolt and a wing nut. Then I searched Wal-Mart for the right size air filter. I found a Fram CA148 for 3 or 4 bucks. I'm a gearhead (car lover, do it yourselfer) an it looks kind cool. I can feel the air flow into it when I put my hand on it. Works great!! So I can blow it off periodically or toss it for a new one when I feel the need. Hope this helps someone who wants to do it the hard way.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Controlling dust ...inexpensive.....
by *.* / April 30, 2004 11:57 PM PDT

I would like to see a picture of your "air filter" Happy

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Controlling dust ...inexpensive.....
by vexir / May 1, 2004 4:44 PM PDT

Wow, I'm just too er.. what's the word for it? (Can't think right now...) so can someone like, give me a list of cheap parts and a step by step, organized list of how to do it?

Collapse -
Thanks John - sounds good
by SteveGargini / December 1, 2004 3:27 PM PST

When I go to pick up a power protector, I shall ask for a fan guard, and filters. I am sure I will find a way to install them.

Collapse -
The Computer And The Modern World
by ThompsonVisionDestiny / September 18, 2007 9:33 AM PDT

To the modern world the computer represents a Vision, a purpose, a destiny. We cannot exist without it our jobs and commerce depends on the evolving internet. The postive air flow computer dust cabinet has been improved and One Voice holds out the answer to aliviate this suffering...Thompson Industries with over 30 years of experience in plastics manufacturing. You want to do it yourself ? Or go to www.microsoft.com/at home/more done/cleancomputer.mspx either way you people run the risk of doing more damage with creating a static charge with a can of dust off or with our own box and a fiberglass furnace filter. Our product has over two years of R&D it is the lowest cost and best in its class. The powers that control the internet do not even list this site on the front pages of any major search engine because our competitiors pay for the spots and they charge more money. Certainly relevency is determined more by credit reports than the quality and vision of the product. So time is of the essense those of you who are searching for the knowledge you will find the links page and the depreciation and maintenance scheduals for an industrial user helpful evaluating the economic worth of such a positive displacement computer filtration system. At our site you can weight the costs and benefits of the main manufactured products that provide such dust filtration. The links and the photos and attributes of each primary competitor is there. Knowlege is pwer but you must use it. Http://thompsonplasticvalley.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.