Windows Legacy OS

Question

Controllers

by bjh1225 / March 26, 2013 8:15 AM PDT

I installed my Win XP Professional on my new hard drive on a HP Workstation xw 8200 computer.
The following controllers did not install thus I cannot get on the internet:
Ethernet MultiMedia Audio SCSI 1 & 2
Systems Interrupt and Video (VGA compatible)

I have spent several hours today trying to get this problem resolved.

I welcome any solution. Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Controllers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Controllers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Welcome back.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2013 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Controllers
Collapse -
Your response
by bjh1225 / March 27, 2013 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Welcome back.

I do not understand your question of 'how you eventually sorted out old HP?'.

Regards, Bettye

Collapse -
My question is about your old post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2013 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Your response

Your old post seems to be a repeat of what you are tackling here.

I wondered how you eventually dealt with your prior machine.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Go to the HP website
by Jimmy Greystone / March 26, 2013 8:18 AM PDT

Go to the HP website, you should be able to enter in the SN of your computer and be taken directly to all the drivers for your computer. Download all of them, put them on a CD or flash drive, then load them into the computer at home. It's really rather simple, but everyone first has to come to grips with the reality that Windows doesn't magically come with every single driver you could ever possibly need, you have to do a little leg work.

Collapse -
Controllers
by bjh1225 / March 26, 2013 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Go to the HP website

I did go to the HP Support site in search of the needed drivers. Nothing listed for the ethernet controller. I downloaded one from another company's site onto a flash drive but could not get it to install. I am going to ask my dght to make a CD from this computer and load it into the Workstation xw8200.

Thank you for the response, Bettye

Collapse -
Answer
There's a lot of ground to cover here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2013 8:21 AM PDT

1. You installed XP Professional. But not a word about service packs.

I find many drivers today will not install on that version but wait till you get it up to SP2 at the very least.

2. All those items require drivers that MSFT does not supply.

I can't supply direct links but you as the owner should have driver CDs and documentation.

3. Install order matters.

I'm going to supply a link as an -> EXAMPLE <- and what it's for so you have a game plan.
Read http://forums.cnet.com/7726-7587_102-2699006.html

Notice the install order and how the drivers were not on a web page? Same story here. Not much new. But this brings up a big question. Ready?

-> Is it time to forget this install system? I mean, look at the mess and Microsoft has been at this for decades and you are still reading postings like this.
Bob

Collapse -
Controllers
by bjh1225 / March 26, 2013 11:57 AM PDT

Since I cannot get on the internet I could not download anything on to that computer. My dght will be over tomorrow and I think she will be able to work the problem out to a good conclusion.

Thanks for the response, Bettye

Collapse -
(NT) How did you post here if you could not get on the internet?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2013 1:56 PM PDT
Collapse -
Posting
by bjh1225 / March 27, 2013 1:46 AM PDT

We have several computers. I posted my query using my own desktop. It is my husband's desktop that we installed the new hard drive.

Collapse -
(NT) This is why we download the drivers on the other PCs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2013 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Posting
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.