Windows Vista forum

control Panel "Appearance and Personalization

by have?? / July 7, 2011 2:13 AM PDT

I have Window's Vista. Downloaded a Virus Trojan: Win32/Fake Sysdef. from browser. I have gotten rid of it. Have be unckecking "Hidden files",
So far getting thing back to normal...EXCEPT I can make not changes
in the control Panel "Appearance and Personalization". I still have a Black Screen.

Message: This feature has been disable...Please contact your system administrator.

I have no Idea how to enable this feature. I'm suppose to be the administrator right? But don't know how to enable.
Hope someone can help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: control Panel "Appearance and Personalization
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: control Panel "Appearance and Personalization
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Tried Fixing The Problem Using A Registry Edit?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 7, 2011 4:04 AM PDT

1. Click Start, type regedit and hit ENTER.

2. Browse to this registry key:

3. Check if the key contains any of these values (on the right pane). If so, delete them:

4. Repeat steps 2-3 but check for the entries above in this registry key. Once again, if they're there, delete them.:

5. Browse to this registry key:

6. Check if the key contains this value. If so, delete it:

7. Repeat steps 5-6 but now browse to this registry key:

8. Close Registry Editor, restart your computer, and you should be able to access the Control Panel icon mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by have?? / July 7, 2011 4:58 AM PDT

Thanks Grif,
Nothing there... all but one said (Default) Reg_SZ (Data) Value not set) the other was my
user name desktop.

Trying to get the desktop background I had before this happen... the Blue/green color one.
everything works except the background feature.

Collapse -
Then Try This...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 7, 2011 6:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
by have?? / July 8, 2011 2:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Then Try This...

Grif...It didn't help me. So I restored it took about 2 hrs. to go back 7days. I guess
it was a mess Happy Everything looks normal now. The only problem I keep noticing is
Win IE is acting strange. It keeps redirecting my searches. When I click on a search
it takes me back to the same page or I will get a blank page. I did run melware and cc cleaner.

Thanks for your time in helping me,

Collapse -
Try Hitman Pro 3.5
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 10, 2011 2:23 PM PDT

It's free for 30 days and tends to do a good job with the redirect problems..

Here's the link:

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by have?? / July 10, 2011 3:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Try Hitman Pro 3.5

Thank you! I hope I downloaded the right one Hitman Pro, there was another one on the page.
I hope this one helps.

Appreciate your help very much,

Collapse -
by have?? / July 11, 2011 12:10 AM PDT

Downloaded Hitman it was a 1 scan and not a 30 day trial. It only found
cookies and you had to purchase to clear that. Maybe I downloaded the
wrong one.

Collapse -
Still 30 Day For Me
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 11, 2011 6:29 AM PDT

I tried the steps again just to make sure I was right.. After downloading the file from the link below and running it, it automatically connects to the internet and updates the definitions files.. Once done, it gives you a few screens to pass through, and a license agreement, which gives you the options to choose a one time scan or make a copy to scan daily with..

The license agreement here still mentions 30 days free and it does allow for removal of "bad" items if found.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by have?? / July 11, 2011 1:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Still 30 Day For Me

Thanks again for your support...Is that a "bug" <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> ??
or a Link that didn't show up correctly.

Collapse -
(NT) My Fault.. I Forget To Remove It
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 12, 2011 9:57 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.