Samsung forum

General discussion

Continued problems with Samsung BD-P4600 BluRay

by minfxbg / March 6, 2010 10:51 AM PST

I continue to experience problems with the P4600 bluRay player.
When is Samsung going to release a fix to the firmware, or at the very least, provide the owners access to the original firmware that was loaded on the player?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Continued problems with Samsung BD-P4600 BluRay
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Continued problems with Samsung BD-P4600 BluRay
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BD-P4600 freezing issues with Blu ray discs
by rdonovan111 / April 4, 2010 12:56 PM PDT

Hello, I have been dealing with freezing problems when using BD formats in my "Blu ray" player! It has worked in the past but within the last few weeks or so it is freezing and pausing during the movies. Its been mostly new animated movies such as toy story 1-2 and the chipmunks. Sometimes its freezing up when starting the previews or even when just begining to play the opening 20th century fox trademark. I have been able to watc other BD movies and regular dvd's seem fine.Is this due to the newer firmware updates?
Is the reset supposed to wipe out the updates to factory settings? Mine has not restored to factory settings. Help .. someone help!

Collapse -
BD-P4600 freezing issues with Blu ray discs
by Tdawg540 / April 5, 2010 4:12 AM PDT

I keep having a similar problem with my bd p4600, except mine don't freeze it will cause my receiver to go into protection mode. I know its not the receiver cause it didn't do it before i got the update. I've tried you-tube and that works and I've tried Pandora and that seems to work fine, but BD movies don't work Sad

Collapse -
Blu ray player issues BD-4600
by rdonovan111 / April 10, 2010 2:13 AM PDT

What firm ware ver are you on, and did it ever play blu ray discs? I am able to play some but others are choppy and it wont play a few such as the new chipmunks movie. What is the next step are we supposed to fill out a service ticket with samsung and what does that do?

Collapse -
--
by tigger000005 / April 10, 2010 2:43 AM PDT

I don't have the discs mentioned, but to date have not had any problems (running the 3600 -4600's cousin..heheheh)..

Don't know if this info will/will not help but here it is anyway..
1- IF the problems happened after updating the firmware, check your settings on the player...they will have defaulted to the base..I have my info down so anytime I update I can put things as they were...
2- TRY turning BD Live OFF...

Hope this helps

Collapse -
Blu ray player issues BD-4600
by Tdawg540 / April 10, 2010 3:49 AM PDT

I have the 2.07 firmware. I haven't had any problems before I got the update. It won't play dvds or Blu rays

Collapse -
----
by tigger000005 / April 10, 2010 10:51 PM PDT

Did you try resetting the unit...hold FAST FORWARD on the unit (not the remote) for about 10 to 15 secs (I never had to reset...)

Collapse -
CAN'T PLAY BLU-RAY DISKS SINCE UPGRADE
by harry0309 / May 28, 2010 7:09 PM PDT

SAMSUNG WTF????
This is a 400 player, are you going to do something about it????

Collapse -
Toss it and get the BD-C7500
by voicegy / May 29, 2010 9:34 AM PDT

I was hobbling along OK with my BD-P4600 WITHOUT performing the upgrade because I didn't care about Blockbuster or You Tube. A few days ago I went for the firmware update - and it bricked it.

After reading hours of posts from folks in the same dilemma, I decided to just give the thing away and buy the "upgrade" to the P series - the C7500. It arrived today, the menu is VASTLY superior, WiFi connectivity is SUPERIOR and faster to set up and faster connection upon startup, and the Samsung APPS are pretty cool. Now I have MORE than what the P4600 could ever give me, and it's a beautiful machine.

Seems like the last series of Blu Ray players were "beta" testers for customers to get feedback from. Well, it was an expensive lesson - but I'm glad to be rid of it in favor of this machine that really does what it claims to do, and in a MUCH better way overall.

Collapse -
BLU RAY UPDATE FAILURE !
by Bill-Greece / November 18, 2010 6:45 PM PST

I've tried to update my Blu-ray through network update and after the download the screen freezed at step 4 where it says don't turn the unit off, after 2 hours I unplugged the unit and when I turned it on there was no signal to my tv (black screen) the buttons seemed to work so I tried hard reset by pressing FF button for 10 secs I saw reset on the desplay but nothing else changed! When I inserted a dvd it was ejected! I tried to update through cdrom but it ejected it also, I switch the unit off pluged a usb with the update in it and turn it on, I pressed the ok button one time and it started reading the usb !! after 45 minutes it switched off by itself, the install was succesfull, I turned it on and it was OK ! with new firmware ! USB UPDATE METHOD IS THE BEST !!! AVOID UPDATE THROUGH THE NET !

Collapse -
Blu-ray BD-P4600 freezing
by radwanlaktib / February 16, 2011 8:28 AM PST

I am sick and tired of Samsung and their customer service. I bought this Disc player from Best Buy. I sepnt so much money and I asked for the best Blue- ray. I was told the Samsung BD-P4600 and I bought the scam. What I was not told is the freezing and the failure of Samsung manifacturing this ghost. I open the box three months later because I was doing construction in my house and I find out the machine does not work properly. It freezes and could not play any CD player for music or anything they say it will work. I contacted some guy who's English is like a horor movie at Samsung customer services and was told that they will extend my warranty and have it fixed free of charge. He said that he will sepak to his manager and call me again. None called. I called again and was told by the same person that I have to pay for the service. I figured it will be close to the purshasing price and gave up. Now the machine is still in my wall not functioning and it makes me depressed everytime I look at it. I will never trust or buy a Samsung product ever again, including my cell phone.

Collapse -
Blu-ray BD-P4600 freezing
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 22, 2011 3:16 PM PST

radwanlaktib,

I'm sorry to hear you're having this problem with your Blu-ray player. If you have a transaction number from your last discussion with a Samsung service center, please post it here and I'll see if I can escalate this issue and have one of the managers review your case.

--HDTech

Collapse -
BD P4600/XEU
by PeterKotal / May 30, 2011 4:06 AM PDT

Hi there, I have a similar issue with my unit. Basically since 2.15 update, it stoped playing DVDs at all only played Blu-rays. Called Samsung UK and got my ticket number. I took the unit to their authorised service centre under the waranty. I just brought it back yesterday and it plays only half of any DVD before if starts tu stutter and freezes eventually. I have checked the firmware version and they have instaled 2.15 XEF instead of XUE on it. I can't believe that I have wasted all my time on it and it still doesn't work properly. Where can I make an official complaint, please?

Collapse -
BD P4600/XEU
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 31, 2011 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: BD P4600/XEU

PeterKotal,

Collapse -
Blu-ray BD-P4600
by gprimus / September 3, 2011 5:20 AM PDT

I bought this piece of junk just over a year ago and now it freezes in the "load" mode. All functions are inoperative and nothing works but the power button. Unable to upgrade firmware...nothing! Can't reset...nothing! Called Samsung and they wanted $120.00 service charge plus repairs and shipping. What a rip off. Only lasted one year with very little use at that. I really like Samsung products but after purchasing this unit I'm seriously having second thoughts. $300.00 down the drain!

Collapse -
Blu-ray BD-P4600
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 6, 2011 2:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Blu-ray BD-P4600

gprimus,

Collapse -
Samsung BD-P4600
by gprimus / September 6, 2011 4:58 AM PDT

It was Samsung tech support that (once it was revealed that my warrant had expired) would not help me unless I shipped it to them (prepaid) plus $120.00 service charge plus any parts. I felt as if I was wasting their time. They didn't seem interested in fixing my player. I refuse to spend another dime on a product that continues to have major issues with software and mechanical breakdowns.

Collapse -
my 2 cents
by PeterKotal / September 6, 2011 6:11 PM PDT

@ gprimus: I'm sorry to hear that mate. Since my last
comment they managed to fix my player (I have 5 years warranty with Richer
Sounds UK). They have replaced whole motherboard and the drive (free of charge)
and it works flawlessly now. I have updated the firmware to 2.17 as well with no issues.

Collapse -
Making Samsung account for the BD4600 Fails
by CanadianPilgrim / February 19, 2013 5:15 AM PST

Did not get satisfaction from Samsung. Sucked up a repair bill of nearly $250 to get the optical eyes replaced (x2), outside of warranty. Been played now over 20 hours now and is working fine.

While it was under warranty, I had sent it away for repair and it worked well for about 3 hours then failed again with the pixelization and locking up and "no disc" errors.

Thus, I have suffered many hours of frustration, and now a loss of $250. Essentially, I paid $350 for a DVD player that never worked and paid the additional $250 to get me to the place where I ought to have been on first purchase.

Guys down this thread are talking class action. I am IN!

Collapse -
Anyone Considering a Class Action for the Samsung BD-P4600?
by CanadianPilgrim / November 1, 2012 11:15 AM PDT

I am considering a class action against Samsung in Canada for the problems associated with this player. Mine has ever been able to play a complete disk and now won't read any disks. Has not had much use but I want to use it now and can't!

I am serious about this class action. If you still have your player and, hopefully your receipt, email me at obgriffiths@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Samsung BD-P4600 Class Action
by thedroidman / February 18, 2013 3:59 AM PST

I am considering a US class action for this brick. Based on the heavier than usual traffic noting poor performance issues with this BD-P4600, I think a class action lawsuit is the only thing which will get this HUGE manufacturer to actually provide me with what I paid for, which is a Blu Ray / DVD player that actually plays Blu Rays and DVD's.

I have been through the entire exercise since purchased in 1st week of January 2011.

Return to Best Buy- told nothing is wrong- loaded fine ad didn't lock up. This x 4.

Call for support- Check firmware - reset unit reinstall firmware - This x 4

Escalate to Support Manager- Same as above

Escalate to Executive Manager- Told out of warranty and 9 month grace period- Told to escalate to Presidential Office - US.

Had already sent a letter spelling out issues and requesting a regional Sales Manager contact me to resolve. This was done over 30 days ago with zero response from Samsung

Class Action Lawsuit anyone?

Contact me at samsung.bdp4600.classaction@gmail.com

Collapse -
Re: Samsung BD-P4600 Class Action
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 19, 2013 6:25 AM PST

Hi thedroidman,

I apologize for your experience thus far. If you could post your transaction number, I'd like to see if we can investigate this issue for you.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
What solution to the BD-4600 problem?
by CanadianPilgrim / February 19, 2013 5:14 AM PST

Did not get satisfaction from Samsung. Sucked up a repair bill of nearly $250 to get the optical eyes replaced (x2), outside of warranty. Been played now over 20 hours now and is working fine.

While it was under warranty, I had sent it away for repair and it worked well for about 3 hours then failed again with the pixelization and locking up and "no disc" errors.

Thus, I have suffered many hours of frustration, and now a loss of $250. Essentially, I paid $350 for a DVD player that never worked and paid the additional $250 to get me to the place where I ought to have been on first purchase.

Guys down this thread are talking class action. I am IN!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.