Windows 7

Question

Content to right of programs missing! See screenshot!

by VikingErik / January 15, 2013 12:59 PM PST
http://www.hegge.com/WIN7

I'm sorry to trouble you all. We have WIN7. When you click on the Window's Logo you can see Programs & to the right of that in a different shaded area is Control Panel, Computer, etc. I'm not sure what the correct term is for this area but that entire area is now blank! I can get access to Control Panel, My Computer, etc. from other ways but this is really odd. Please see link to screen shot to get a better idea what I'm discussing.

How do I get those important items back?
Thank you all!
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Content to right of programs missing! See screenshot!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Content to right of programs missing! See screenshot!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try this...
by tonyron227 / January 15, 2013 11:21 PM PST

Create a new user profile and see if the same is happening there. If all is well, copy your documents to the new profile and then delete the corrupted profile.

Collapse -
by VikingErik / January 15, 2013 11:28 PM PST
In reply to: Try this...

Thanks, we've done that as a test & a new user profile is created with everything proper but there should be a way to avoid doing that....I guess that's a last resort but there's gotta be a way to get those items back. By the way, what area is this even called?

Collapse -
Do you know how that menu is created?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 12:08 AM PST

It's a folder in the user's home folder and if you delete that folder either because you are cleaning up or using a registry cleaner the menu changes.

Since most folk delete that folder in the start folder there is no getting it back. You just create them and it's back.
Bob

Collapse -
by VikingErik / January 16, 2013 6:44 AM PST

Bob, thanks a bunch. I guess I could go into my wifes registry & look/compare what's different to my registry. But, it seems easier to create a new profile for myself & copy everything over to it and then delete old profile.

Thank you very much.

Collapse -
NOT IN THE REGISTRY. It's a FOLDER.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 10:25 AM PST
Collapse -
NOT IN THE REGISTRY, It's a FOLDER
by VikingErik / January 16, 2013 2:24 PM PST

Bob, that link is for an OS other than XP. Is it really the "Start Menu" that missing from what you see in this screen shot?
http://www.hegge.com/WIN7

Collapse -
This is the Windows 7 forum (I think it is!)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 2:26 PM PST

Sorry but if we want to change the OS, we should change forums.

But you're close to figuring out how the menus work.
Bob

Collapse -
This is the Windows 7 forum (I think it is!)
by VikingErik / January 16, 2013 10:47 PM PST

Bob, I don't understand: I have WIN 7 & this is WIN 7 Forum.
The link you provided yesterday for Support Microsoft is not for WIN 7.

Collapse -
Ahh. Because it shows the commands and folder names
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 12:36 AM PST

I looked and the folders are still in use today. You may have to use something like Gyula's Navigator since Explorer may hide them but the Start Menu folders are still there.

Bob

Collapse -
Well...
by tonyron227 / January 16, 2013 3:38 AM PST

I suppose that there is a way to get those items back but why bother when it is easier to create a new profile. You apparently deleted something that caused this problem. Only you know what you did...work smarter, not harder...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.