Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Constantly repairing Network Connection - IP conflict issue?

by wied81 / February 24, 2008 1:48 PM PST

Hey all. I would really appreciate some feedback on this issue that has been causing me some problems for quite some time now.

I have a Sony VAIO FS-550 laptop that seems to be the only computer with connection issues to my home network (Linksys WRT54G). My laptop will connect for between one to five minutes usually and then suddenly the connection will go dead and I have to repair my connection before I can stay connected for another one to five minutes before I must repair it again.

Tonight I discovered that every time I repair my connection my friends computer who is in the next room over (on the same network)loses his connection. When my computer is turned off his connection is fine.

Is this an IP conflict issue? What is going on here? I don't have authentication on or anything like that. This has been killing me and I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks so much

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Constantly repairing Network Connection - IP conflict issue?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Constantly repairing Network Connection - IP conflict issue?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Friend on same Network...
by Papa Echo / February 24, 2008 8:47 PM PST

You mentioned that your friend is on the same Networtk -do you mean your friend in the next room connects via your Linksys wirelessly ? And do you also connect wirelessly or via your NIC by cable ? OR do you mean your friend is on the same ISP(Network) as your are and both of you have separate home Networks ?

Collapse -
I've seen that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2008 10:49 PM PST

The router's firmware was out of date. Have you completed the items we note in the forum sticky?

Bob

Collapse -
Connection and firmware
by wied81 / February 24, 2008 11:15 PM PST
In reply to: I've seen that.

Thanks for your responses.

I have recently updated my routers firmware over the phone with the Linksys technician so I don't think that is the problem, although it is possible...I guess.

In terms of how I connect to the network, it is all wireless. My connection, my friends connection, and the other computers on the network...none are hard-wired.

Collapse -
So this leaves us with..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2008 11:34 PM PST

Do you set it up per our forum sticky. If not, I can't find where you shared your setting in your posts. Point it out to me by post number if I missed it.

Collapse -
settings
by wied81 / February 24, 2008 11:52 PM PST

What type of settings are you looking for? I checked the forum sticky but can't seem to find that piece of information. Here is the cmd > ipconfig /all rundown from the laptop.

Intel (R) Pro/Wireless 2200 BG Network Connection
DHCP Enabled
Autoconfig enabled
IP 192.168.1.102
MASK 255. 255. 255. 0
GATEWAY 192.168.1.1
DHCP 192.168.1.1
DNS 24.92.226.40

WEP is turned on.

Hope this helps and is what you are looking for.

Collapse -
WEP is not how we suggest in the forum sticky.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2008 11:57 PM PST
In reply to: settings

WEP does have issues and makes a fine income for the tech.

Please try the router and machines setup per our forum sticky.

Collapse -
setup
by wied81 / February 25, 2008 3:14 AM PST

My router is setup according to the forum sticky. I don't believe it is a problem with my router because there are 6 other computers that are perfectly connected to the router. It just seems that this one laptop has a conflict some way or another with another computer on the network and I must constantly repair my network connection in order to gain access and then only do I have access for a couple of minutes before I must repair again. And when I connect I boot off my friend from his internet connection who is tied to our same wireless network.

Collapse -
WEP is not suggested in our sticky and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2008 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: setup

It can create connection problems just like your post. Since this issue comes up very often I decline to repeated tell each member in each post what the WEP issues are.

Your choice here and I have now unsubscribed. Just email me through my contact link in my profile when you are ready to move forward.

Bob

Collapse -
wpa
by wied81 / February 25, 2008 6:05 AM PST

well I changed my security settings to WPA and it seems to be working for now...thanks for your help and if I have more problems I will check back in.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.