Speakeasy forum

Praise

Conservatism is Calling...Invest 7.5min of your time....

by Tony Holmes / November 4, 2012 5:20 PM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Conservatism is Calling...Invest 7.5min of your time....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Conservatism is Calling...Invest 7.5min of your time....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm afraid such words go unheeded when so many people
by Steven Haninger / November 4, 2012 6:07 PM PST

are less worried about the days after tomorrow than they are about their next fix. I'm not referring to drugs. I'm referring to any moment of pleasure. That could be as simple as their next meal or next episode of DWTS. We're hooked on living moment to moment and whoever or whatever gives us the best "feel good" minute takes priority over planning for the minute after that one.

Collapse -
What?!
by James Denison / November 6, 2012 11:45 AM PST

they need to bring back recreational drugs. Keeps the bad voters home, or in the alley. Wink

Collapse -
Conservatism is Calling..........................Robo-Call?
by JP Bill / November 4, 2012 8:12 PM PST
Devil
Collapse -
Not how it works
by Steven Haninger / November 4, 2012 8:25 PM PST

My experience is that the conservative side expects you to make the decision to come to them. You need to put forth some effort. The liberal side is the opposite. They come to you. You need to do nothing other than nod "yes".

I saw this during my early voting experience. If I wanted a Democrat ballot template, there were people walking up to me offering them. If I wanted a Republican template, I had to walk to a literature table outside of their van. That would be too much effort for some people to make. I took the middle ground and used what was in my head after personal study.

Have fun with the last sentence in that paragraph if you wish. Devil

Collapse -
well the recorded conservative calls
by Roger NC / November 5, 2012 10:46 AM PST
In reply to: Not how it works

this last two weeks is making me dislike them even if I lean that way.

Collapse -
You're right about the calls. The Rep side is trying to play
by Steven Haninger / November 5, 2012 6:53 PM PST

catch-up. They didn't have a candidate until late Summer. I got Obama calls for at least a full year but the number of those have waned considerably. Lately, I tend to hang up on all of them regardless. One observation I have made, however, is that those calls which support Republican candidates and issues tend to identify themselves right up front so I can hang up immediately. Those for Democrat candidates are a little more slick. They don't tell you who they are but start off with some emotional grab and particularly when it comes to what are considered "women's issues". The Democrat marketing scheme seems to be similar to that of postal spam where the envelope begs you to open it and not just throw it away immediately.

I would hope that, in the future, politicians will learn when people have had enough and that further aggressive campaigning hurts their chances rather than aids them.

Collapse -
I quit hanging up
by Roger NC / November 5, 2012 7:19 PM PST

I set the phone down and go do something then come back and hang it up.

Let them do their speil to empty air, even if it is recorded.

Collapse -
4 messages when I got home, and still coming in
by Roger NC / November 6, 2012 7:27 AM PST

It's 6:20 pm here, and they're still leaving recorded messages on my answering machines.

I'm not sure how late polls close here, I think 7, with a promise anyone in line by 6:30 will get to vote no matter how late.

Collapse -
then register as Democratic
by James Denison / November 6, 2012 11:46 AM PST

and you can compare next time.

Collapse -
I've thought about independent or non-affilated but
by Roger NC / November 6, 2012 7:31 PM PST

that would probably mean more from both sides, and no vote in the primaries.

Collapse -
RE:I saw this during my early voting experience.
by JP Bill / November 5, 2012 11:42 AM PST
In reply to: Not how it works
I saw this during my early voting experience. If I wanted a Democrat ballot template

In a previous post you stated that you voted Democrat...and that when you vote you vote for the person, NOT the party....

So, is it possible that you could vote for a Democrat sometime in the future?

My experience is that the conservative side expects you to make the decision to come to them. You need to put forth some effort. The liberal side is the opposite. They come to you. You need to do nothing other than nod "yes".

You're just pointing out how they operate...not saying one is better/worse than the other?

You can go over and listen to them drone on and on, or they can come over to you and you nod "yes", stand there and listen to them drone on and on.

They expect you to come to them?.....I guess THEY really believe in what they're doing...won't even get up off their *** (I put the stars in there, you can fill in the word) to get their candidate elected. GO TEAM!!!!

And then EVERYBODY has to make the same effort and get out and vote, irregardless of whether they came to you, or you went to them.
Collapse -
You don't need to copy and paste to remind me of what I said
by Steven Haninger / November 5, 2012 6:16 PM PST

My memory isn't all that bad...yet.

I voted what we call a "split ticket". This means I ignore the party label and go with what I know of the person. If I know nothing, I will leave that to others rather than pick by party. I take criticism for that sometimes. So be it.

As for my observations of the MO of the two major parties at my polling place, you're right. I don't specify one as being better or worse. Why should I? But I gave observations and not conclusions or judgments. Why I didn't see Romney shirted people milling about I don't know. That doesn't mean they didn't exist. I tried my best to use my virtual blinders and walk straight to the door but had two people walk straight into my path. Both had "Vote Democratic" shirts. I even noted in my post about this experience that I thought "democratic" was an adjective. See...I remember...you'd not have to copy/paste to remind me.

Personally I believe that if we are strong in our convictions we need to put out effort to show them. We don't need someone to register us and drive us to the polls if we are reasonably able. We don't need someone to seek us out and guide us. We know what we want and we go and get it by ourselves. The right to vote comes with responsibilities and one of these is to gather the best information about the candidates that one can. The "rah rah" rallies aren't enough. The entertainment program at them is contrary to good sense and not helpful. This goes for either party's MO.

Today's the day of reckoning here. Those with strong convictions should get off their cans and vote. Those with no clue should stay home. Just my opinion.

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / November 5, 2012 7:34 PM PST

I do it so you and others know which part of the post I'm responding to, I don't do it only for/to you...

It's the way I roll.....so watch out...I'm coming through.

Who's ahead?...Who's going to win?....No more kissing hands and shaking babies.

Collapse -
This even confuses Google
by Steven Haninger / November 5, 2012 9:32 PM PST
"Did you mean... but I'll certainly accept your own link as part of a larger argument that's not, IMO, worth having.

Yes...I know your MO as what seems to be the self appointed chief detective for the SE hypocrisy police. You'll go to any length to root out and present inconsistencies in people's posts with whom you find disfavor. You'll also defend the same inconsistent findings by those with whom you do find favor. I guess this means that hypocrisy can be its own defense. Such is my observation.

As for my prediction, I'm going with a split decision. I believe Romney will win the popular vote but Obama, by virtue of carrying the largest cities in the most populous states who have the greatest number of people in need, will take the electoral vote and retain the White House. That's my prediction. After all, he can do that easily enough with only the 47%.
Collapse -
If you were just remarking on
by JP Bill / November 5, 2012 10:31 PM PST
Collapse -
Actually, the T shirts would have been more proper
by Steven Haninger / November 5, 2012 11:55 PM PST

by using the adverb variation of the word.

Collapse -
When they started talking politics
by JP Bill / November 6, 2012 12:06 AM PST

you should have started talking grammar.

Collapse -
All I said was "no thanks"
by Steven Haninger / November 6, 2012 12:32 AM PST

to their question as to whether or not I'd like a democratic (or Democratic) sample ballot. Unfortunately, the spoken word doesn't have letter cases. I suppose what they were offering would have been obvious to most. Maybe I should have taken the ballot anyway but then I might have deprived someone who was really interested in owning yet another item of political party waste.

Collapse -
RE: All I said was "no thanks"
by JP Bill / November 6, 2012 3:12 AM PST

Any Canadian ancestors?

Collapse -
(NT) didn't say "no thanks, eh" :-)
by Steven Haninger / November 6, 2012 5:03 AM PST
Collapse -
RE: didn't say "no thanks, eh"
by JP Bill / November 6, 2012 5:26 AM PST

If you did, that would have made it a question, not a statement.

It is also commonly used as a question tag, i.e., method for inciting a reply, as in "It's nice here, eh?" In North America, it is most commonly associated with Canada and Canadian English.

You'll be bilingual by the time I'm finished with you.

Collapse -
Loved seeing and hearing Reagan again.
by James Denison / November 6, 2012 11:58 AM PST

Another generation has arisen since him.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.