Computer Newbies

General discussion

Connections tray hanging up

by Sher / November 10, 2003 11:46 AM PST

I am running emachines with xp operating system. 60gig hrd dr, 512mb memory. Lately it has been hanging up and things like internet answering mach, messenger shut down, and I can't connect to any sites as If I were not connected to the internet. But I am, and when I try to disconnect it won't let me until I cntrl/alt/del, and end program. I don't know when, in relation to something I might have d/l that this started but possible when I upgraded my opera browser. (not sure about that)

I seems to be the connections tray that is hanging. I don't even know what that is. All help is appreciated but remember please, slow thinking granny here.

Thanks
Sher

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connections tray hanging up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connections tray hanging up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sher, Lots Of Possiblitlies....(Part 1)
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 10, 2003 12:32 PM PST

...and they involve working through some "troubleshooting" steps.....

First, lets make sure that your free of viruses and parasites. Click on the link below and run the free online scan that it provides:

Panda Antivirus Online Virus Scan

Next, click on either of the links below and download the free spyware removal programs that are listed there. After downloading the files to your computer, then update the program from within the program itself. At that time, run the program and delete any spyware found. If you have problems with how to run them, post back.

Ad-Aware 6 Spyware Removal Program

Spybot Search & Destroy Spyware Removal Program

Hope this helps and let us know what you find.

Grif

Collapse -
Sher, Lots Of Possibilities...(Part 2)
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 10, 2003 12:38 PM PST
If everything comes up clean of spyware and viruses, then I recommend that you close some of the unnecessary background programs that may be running on the computer. They can frequently cause conflicts with various drivers etc.

Click on Start-Programs-Start Up. If there are any listings in the Start Up area, you need to delete as many as you can.(Right click the listing and choose "Delete". Please remember that these are just shortcuts to programs and not actual program files, so its safe to delete them. Don't delete any that you really want to load at start up.

Then click on Start-Run, in the typing area put "msconfig" (without the quotes), press Ok. When the System Configuration Utiltiy box opens, click on the Start Up tab. You will see a number of listings with boxes and check marks in them. These are programs that run at start up. You can safely uncheck many of the boxes. Don't uncheck System Tray, Scan Registry, or your Virus Scan startup programs. After you?re done, click ?Apply?, then 0K, and the computer will ask you to restart. If you have any questions about which programs to UNCHECK in "msconfig", post back, or check for yourself at this site: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php. At this site, wait for the page to load completely, then scroll down to the "The Programs" section and click on the "Full List" link. You should be able to find most programs you have questions about.

In addition, the link below will help you shut down some of the unnecessary start up programs in "Services" and "Msconfig".

http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/loads.htm

Hope this helps, too.

Grif
Collapse -
Re:Sher, Lots Of Possibilities...(Part 2)
by Sher / November 10, 2003 4:11 PM PST

Ewww, "lots of possibilities" words I hate to hear.

Thanks for your response! I should have mentioned I do have zone alarm, spybot, and adware installed. I seem also to be virus free per housecall. I will go through the procedure you suggest. If I remember right I did that in my last computer once and was a little confused by it. Seems lots of the things I had running weren't listed. One question I had then and never found out is once I stop the extra programs, how do I access them when I need them? Will they still be on my start menu? I hope that's not too stupid a question.
Thanks
Sher

Collapse -
Sher, Good Questions..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 11, 2003 3:31 AM PST

After stopping the programs in either "msconfig" or in the "Services" section of Windows XP, you can easily start them again from the start menu and other places. Some of them aren't necessary at all and you won't need to restart them. For Examaple: Some of the multimedia keyboard programs that run at start up and necessary unless you actually use the keyboard buttons to connect to the internet. You won't even notice that it has been removed at start up.

Most importantly, if you have any questions about a particular start up program, and you can't find it in the links I provided earlier, just post back to this thread and we'll see if we can give you some advice about it.

I recently got a new Windows XP and it took me a week to clean out all the unnecessary junk programs and files that were installed. After I uninstalled all the junk, I then went in and removed all the unnecessary "start up" programs just like you're doing. After that, I ran a full "Error Check" and Disk Defragment to optimize the hard drive.(To run a full Error Check, click on Start-My Computer, then RIGHT click on the C drive, choose "Properties" from the menu. When that opens, click on the "Tools" tab and in the "Error-Checking" section, click on the "Check Now" button. In the next little window, place a CHECK mark in both boxes listed, then click on the "Start" button. A message will tell you that you must restart the computer to run the check. Do it.) After running "Error-Checking" and Defrag, it boots faster, and generally runs a lot smoother.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Sher, Good Questions..
by Sher / November 11, 2003 6:52 AM PST
In reply to: Sher, Good Questions..

Oh thanks God for you and those like you who are here for those like me!

I will try to follow your instructions and am sure I will probably be back with more questions. While I am not really a "newbie" on the computer since I have been at it for almost four years now, I do have memory and concentration problems. I need to hear things over and over to make them sink in and then if I don't use them daily I will forget. Without people like you to help I would have been sunk a long time ago!

Thanks
Sher

Collapse -
Sher, Glad It Helped And....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 11, 2003 8:04 AM PST

In my case, I have a "great" memory...It just doesn't last very long. LOL

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.