Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Connecting with neighbor's wireless router, permission ok

by GmaSummers / July 11, 2010 3:41 AM PDT

My neighbor has hi-speed satellite with a secure network and has given my college-age granddaughter permission/passwords to use his service for her summer classes. I have Windows 7, he is using either XP or Vista. I have an Alfa range-extender; it was working briefly for some near-by connections, but when I started messing with the Hughes network, everything disappeared. I set up his service in the network and sharing center; it shows, but I cannot connect. I've enabled my adapters, but don't know what else to do. Currently am using a Verizon usb connection to access this forum.

He has a desktop, I have a Toshiba laptop, model P305D-S8995E. I could really need some help in putting all of this together.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting with neighbor's wireless router, permission ok
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting with neighbor's wireless router, permission ok
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
suggestion/possible remedy
by SBrown441 / December 21, 2010 2:19 PM PST

I would delete the hughes network listed in your wireless networks available list, and then refresh and see if your computer is even seeing the network you are trying to connect to. If not I would suggest spending some money on a antenna/range extender for your neighbor to connect to his router/access point. Even then this may not work, based on distance, obstacles, materials used in building(wood blocks less than brick), etc.

Also, look up info on setting up a point to point wireless network(basically would consist of a antenna on the outside of your house and one outside your neighbors.) I know that is how big corporations share their wireless between multiple buildings.

Collapse -
Buy Wifi-ciy 2KM range
by mightyvalery / December 31, 2010 8:25 PM PST

With Wifi-city Distance and Barrier is not a problem. With my own here in Cameroon where wireless connection is half develop i can use wireless connection for up to 2.5 with 3 bars of wireless signals. For close wireless connectivity say 500meter is is amzing stronger.

Collapse -
It is Wifly-city 54G
by mightyvalery / December 31, 2010 8:29 PM PST
In reply to: Buy Wifi-ciy 2KM range

It is Wifly-city 54G not wifi-city.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.