Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Samsung

Question

connecting sony vaio pc (xp o/s) to a Samsung 50' LCD

by rrrbme / January 15, 2013 5:15 AM PST

running broadband (comcast) line & wondering what may be the easiest way to connect the PC to the TV?
TV is a HL-S5087W....a DLP TV....which has the Wise Link feature/capability....thinking/hoping & assuming this may be easier than I'm thinken. TIA for any suggs/recs.

Rob

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: connecting sony vaio pc (xp o/s) to a Samsung 50' LCD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: connecting sony vaio pc (xp o/s) to a Samsung 50' LCD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
follow up ?....
by rrrbme / January 15, 2013 5:53 AM PST

forgot to also ask....is it possible to have a wireless connection from the PC to this TV? We have a wi-fi router in the home & wondering if it'd be possible to connect via this route which would of course be the preferred method as oppsoed to a hard wire connection. If it must be a hard wire connection then I'd of course need to move the PC & router (as well as VOIP device) so they're next to the TV...which I'd like to avoid if @ all possible. Also....I've since learned the Wise Link feature/capability has little (or nothing @ all) to do w/what I'm trying to accomplish here as far as connecting the PC to the TV is concerned...sigh!! Also learned a HDMI connection is not supported for this goal....which I was hoping would be possible thus making this all sooo much easier/simplier.....sigh #2

& for the record....this TV was purchased new in 2007....so in TV yrs I guess u can say it's now middle aged...which is being quite nice as many would consider this a dinosaur I suppose : o
TIA!!

Collapse -
Re: follow up?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 16, 2013 12:33 AM PST
In reply to: follow up ?....

Hi rrrbme,

So I'm trying to understand what you'd like to accomplish. Are you wanting to use the TV as a really large monitor for your PC?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Using TV (PN 43E 450) as a really large PC monitor...
by birdy1928 / January 17, 2013 1:58 PM PST
In reply to: Re: follow up?

Forgive me for butting in - have the same question.

Made the HDMI connection to port 1 and later also to port 2 on the TV with the other cable end via USB into the computer. After making the necessary changes via the remote's "Source" button, the computer screen was mirrored to the brand new Samsung BUT without any of the app icons of the computer.

Thus I was not able to access the internet. The skimpy flyer "manual" refers to the Samsung's ability to link TV and computers but gives no details on the "how".

Thanks!

Collapse -
Re: Using TV (PN 43E 450) as a really large PC monitor
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 18, 2013 1:41 AM PST

Hi birdy1928,

This one is simple enough. If you're seeing the desktop background but no icons, then it's working; it's just extend desktop rather than mirrored view. You can prove this by dragging and window (usually) to the right side of your screen and it'll show up on the larger screen.

You can change this setting, of course. Which OS is your computer running: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, or some flavor of Mac?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Connecting TV to PC
by birdy1928 / January 18, 2013 3:25 AM PST

Thanks HD,

I was sure the system was working - to a degree - when the mirror appeared but nothing else. OS is Windows7. I would love to use my iMac, Snow Leopard, v. 10.6.8, if I could make a wireless connection from the next room just as "rrrbme" wants to do.

Collapse -
Re: Connecting TV to PC
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 18, 2013 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: Connecting TV to PC
Collapse -
Connecting TV to PC
by birdy1928 / January 18, 2013 7:53 AM PST
Laugh Thank you HD, works like a charm. Unfortunately, the laptop's audio is tinney which is replicated on the TV but I intend to pursue the wireless option or the Homeplug Powerline technology for better desktop connection.

Great advice, problem solved.
Collapse -
Smart TV's ability to access YouTube
by birdy1928 / January 31, 2013 1:04 PM PST
In reply to: Connecting TV to PC

Dear Ambassador,

All my troubles with the Samsung E 450 were solved yesterday when I switched providers and had them install an HD cable box plus new wiring. I had been assured by your tech dept. that such improvements would bowl me over.

They did! What a marvel in sharpness, color and sound. We're considering purchase of a second same model TV for the living room which I'll have to modify because of the built-in theatre furniture.

I believe there's a way to access Youtube without having to use a wifi or HDMI cable connection to a computer. Would you be so kind as to explain the steps to do that? My wife is taking a YouTube language course on her Windows PC and I want to surprise her with the possibility of doing so on a larger screen.

Thank you!

Collapse -
Re: Smart TV's ability to access YouTube
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 1, 2013 12:13 AM PST

Hi birdy1928,

Well, you can just use a YouTube app on the TV. You should note that it depends a great deal on what the content provider allows because some of them block certain platforms, like TVs.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Finding YouTube via Menu, model E450
by birdy1928 / February 1, 2013 5:19 AM PST

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Will now see what IS available on the "smart" TV without a PC or Mac wifi connection.

Collapse -
yes...as a PC monitor but also w/an Inet connection.....
by rrrbme / January 19, 2013 1:51 AM PST
In reply to: Re: follow up?

yes....but w/an Inet connection...that's the question...sorry...wasn't clear on that. I can hook up the PC easy enough.....it's acquiring the Inet connection I'm concerned with. I understand there may be a USB type device that I can be prchased which will communicate w/my wi-fi router & PC....which seems like 1 way to achieve this goal if indeed this type of device exists. However, I understand that if I want a reliable/steady connection w/no dropouts that a hardwire Inet connection would be best. Only issue w/this type of connection is....I don't want to move all my devices (router, vonagae device & Xfinity/Comcast Inet modem) to the location of where the 50' LCD is. Thus, I'm wondering if obtaining another Comcast/Xfinity modem & then splitting the TV line would work? & if so, would splitting this broadband line to the tv then degrade my HD pic? I know that Comcast jams soo much content into their pipes that their HD pic quality isn't the best as compared to the competition's HD pic so I'm not sure I really wanna go the route of splitting the TV line. Wondering if trying the wifi connection 1st would be the best route.....easiest & cheapest way to go it seems....then if that type of Inet connection doesn't prove to be stable enough, try the hardwire connection next. Thx for such a quick reply....& apologies for my delay in replaying back. I hope to work on all this over the wknd....later today...& tomorrow if need be.

Collapse -
Re: yes...as a PC monitor but also w/an Inet connection.....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 21, 2013 4:23 AM PST

Hi rrrbme,

OK, I think I understand your question. So here's the short answer: yes, you can set your TV up to be a monitor over a wireless connection, but you'll need more accessories.

Here's the slightly longer answer: the Internet connection isn't meant to carry an image signal to the TV, so that won't work if that's your intention. However, as I mentioned to birdy1928 above, for a wireless display connection, there are many different solutions; here's one that ships in some of our laptops: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/intel-wireless-display.html

HD Tech

Collapse -
using a PC....
by rrrbme / January 28, 2013 6:25 AM PST

as I like to put one of our "dinosaurs" to somee good use. So what i had success with was simply going out to best buy & bought one of those USB devices that plugs into the PC & communicates w/the wi-fi router....so w/re to inet connection via PC to 50' HD LCD...check!!
Then I went out & got a Logitech wireless solar keyboard & mouse....mouse is battery operated but Logitech claims this particular model that came w/the keyboard will last approx 3 yrs b4 batts need to be replaced....we'll see about that one....kinda suspect of 2 aa's lasting anymore than 12-18 mos tops in a wireless mouse.
What I've found is that our digital pix (using the Picasa platform) really look awesome on the 50' via the PC...very nice/clean looking as far as imagary viewing goes....also nice to play digital pix slide shows to whatever mp3 music I wanna play....great for family partys, etc. if we really wanna bore our guests & get them oudda here fairly quick
OK....that should do it....thx for the assistance, advice & link.....looks like we wont need to go out & buy a "Smart" HD Wi-fi ready TV just yet.....hopefully this new set-up/protocol will keep us goin for the next few yrs....at least long enough for the prices of the new Smart TV's to come down a few hundred more...hehe
Cheers!!

Collapse -
btw.....this is the device....
by rrrbme / January 28, 2013 6:35 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.