Samsung forum

Question

Connecting Samsung 3D TV, Sony HTS 3D, Wii, & ATT Uverse

by maripour / June 14, 2011 6:26 AM PDT

My new Sony OTB Home Theater System & I spent many hours the last 2 nights getting to know each other and trying to make a love match between components. They are fighting what I was told would be a seamless connection so now it is time to take it to the mattresses.

Equipment for connection -
Samsung 7000 Series 3D TV Model UN46C7000WF (w/ Apps), Sony 3D Blue Ray HTS Model BDV-E780W w/ built-in wifi/amplifier (w/ Apps), Nintendo Wii, & ATT Uverse boxes consisting of; Motorola HDMI Receiver Box & Wireless 2Wire Gateway DSL Box (for digital TV/internet/voice/home DVR)

Initial 4 Connections as per Sony HTS manual & "quick" connect (plus cross-ck of Samsung manual)
1. ATT Receiver HDMI(out) to Sony Blue Ray HDMI1(in).
2. ATT LAN moved from Samsung TV to Sony Blue Ray LAN(in)
3. Samsung TV HDMI/ARC(in) to Sony Blue Ray HDMI(out)
4. Nintendo Wii - Red/White Audio to Sony Audio(in) & Yellow to the Samsung Video(in). After an hour with Sony, there is no direct component connection on the Sony-it must be split.

REALLY, THIS MUCH WORK WITH THREE REMOTES WHEN YOU TURN ON A TV??? Is there something else or am I missing something???
Initial connections 1-4: result in
a. At startup; TV, Uverse, and Blue Ray take manual manipulation to get them on the same page. The Samsung reverts (defaluts?) to the 'TV'(HDMI/DVI)as its source & does not look for the HDMI/ARC connection. The source for the Samsung has to be accessed manually via Samsung remote at each start up to reset/scroll to the HDMI/ARC connection. Samsung does not (?) grey-out the unused source connections. This is also required if I change the Sony source function. When I changed connection #1 of Sony ATT HDMI(out) to the Samsung HDMI/DVI slot, (leaving the HDMI/ARC connection between Samsung and Sony), the Samsung starting source known as 'TV' is now correct. I can then turn the ATT remote off/on and the TV is functional, but not if the Sony is sync'd to turn off with the other equipment or turned off manually. Is there a way to make the Samsung look for the correct HDMI connection/source if the ATT Recv is left hooked up to the Sony Amp (as I was told I could do) and/or not default to the source known as 'TV'?
If the Sony is turned off, will I always have to scroll the 'functions' on its remote to set up the source conn?
b. I have since moved the ATT LAN conn #2 from Sony LAN to Samsung LAN(in) since Blue Ray is wireless & TV is not. Correct? The Samsung does not recognize a connection for apps/updates w/o as it is not passing through from the Sony. If I access the Apps on the Samsung it disconnects the Sony Blue Ray.

Is having a universal remote for these 3 possible????
Is it true the the ATT Uverse remote trumps all others and if you want to integrate, it must be the Uverse remote that is your primary vs Sony or Samsung?
Based on my hookup, how will the Uverse remote impact the other components?
If I can link, what are the codes for Samsung and the new Sony HTS system?
Will I still need the individual remotes to access the Apps available on each & have to continue to fiddle with sources?
The current Uverse remote and Samsung are programmed for on/off, but the apps for the Samsung have to be access by the Samsung remote.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting Samsung 3D TV, Sony HTS 3D, Wii, & ATT Uverse
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting Samsung 3D TV, Sony HTS 3D, Wii, & ATT Uverse
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Seamless?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2011 6:34 AM PDT

Sew those that claim such to the mattress. No one should have claimed that. Unless they offer some Logitech Harmony and then you still have to diddle.

And that's just the beginning of the integration (interrogation.) I haven't found anyone in the forums to do what those home theater companies do for folk. Is that an option?

As to codes, I think the best things are "learning remotes" or that Logitech Harmony.
Bob

Collapse -
Hum, a professional hit man? Perhaps . . .
by maripour / June 14, 2011 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Seamless?

so there is nothing you see in the orignal or subsiquent hookup that makes me use three remotes?
There is nothing in the hookup I should change to get the system to open up correctly when I turn it on? In particular since I have officially diddled with conns 1 $ 2 contrary to the manual. Are those legal diddles or will they cause foul elsewhere?
Here is the poop from ATT on their remotes. "Get the convenience of a single remote control that is fully programmable. It learns from your existing remote controls. Controls up to 4 devices (U-verse receiver, TV and 2 other devices). With 10,000 possible RF codes to select from, you are virtually assured you will not encounter interference from other RF remotes.'http://www.att.com/equipment/accessories/tv-remotes.jsp
will start with them then move on to the professionals I guess for a clean up.

Collapse -
Or a Harmony. Link shows some success with Samsung apps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2011 8:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Answers:
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 14, 2011 6:54 AM PDT

Is having a universal remote for these 3 possible????

A: It depends on which devices that specific remote can control. If it has a large code bank installed (or you have lots of selections with the cable/sat remote), then more devices will be supported. Not all cable/sat box remotes have a large selection of supported devices.

Is it true the the ATT Uverse remote trumps all others and if you want to integrate, it must be the Uverse remote that is your primary vs Sony or Samsung?

A: Usually yes. Another option is a Logitech Harmony remote, and you can go on their website to see which devices the remotes will control before purchasing.

Based on my hookup, how will the Uverse remote impact the other components?

A: I don't know. Your service provider (AT&T in this case) would be able to better address that. I don't know which Samsung codes they have included, and which devices are suppoerted. Since they control that, they would be able to answer that with more authority than I would be able to.

If I can link, what are the codes for Samsung and the new Sony HTS system?

A; Those codes are assigned with code bank numbers that are selected by the service provider.

Will I still need the individual remotes to access the Apps available on each & have to continue to fiddle with sources?

A: That will depend if the source button on the Uverse can be programmed with the TV's codes. If so, you can control SOURCE and that's good. As far as the Apps, you will likely need the Samsung remote. Even with the Logitech Harmony, occasional use of the manufacturer's remote - or additional programming - may be necessary on occasion.

The current Uverse remote and Samsung are programmed for on/off, but the apps for the Samsung have to be access by the Samsung remote..

A: It depends if there's a button option for SmartHub or Internet @ TV programmed on the remote.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Answer
Hook up OK
by maripour / June 14, 2011 8:09 AM PDT

Any comment on the inital vs subsiquent hook-up between the components and how it is interfacing???
Remotes I will call ATT and look at LogiTech per your advice.
I am assuming SmartHub is the same as Internet@ function?

Collapse -
Hook up OK
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 15, 2011 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Hook up OK

maripour,

Collapse -
Lets go back to the connection question
by maripour / June 16, 2011 2:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Hook up OK

The remote replys have given me many options to seek out. Now lets go back to the primary question - making sure the connection flow is correct. . .

Initial 4 Connections ROUTING ALL THROUGH THE Sony HTS, WITH ONE HDMI CABLE TO THE SAMSUNG (as per manuals)
1. ATT Receiver HDMI(out) to Sony BlueRay HDMI1(in).
2. ATT LAN moved from Samsung TV to Sony Blue Ray LAN(in)
3. Samsung TV HDMI/ARC(in) to Sony Blue Ray HDMI(out)
4. Nintendo Wii - Red/White Audio to Sony Audio(in) & Yellow to the Samsung Video(in). After an hour with Sony, there is no direct component connection on the Sony-it must be split. the least of my concerns.

RESULTS - Initial connections 1-4: result in
a. TV, Uverse, & Blue Ray take manual manipulation to get them on the same page. Samsung reverts (defaluts?) to the 'TV'(HDMI/DVI)as its source & does not look for the HDMI/ARC connection. WHY?????????? The source for the Samsung has to be accessed manually via Samsung remote at each start up to reset/scroll to the HDMI/ARC connection. Samsung does not (?) grey-out the unused source connections. Since 'TV' is the source it defaults, I have moved ATT HDMI cable from the Sony HTS to Samsung HDMI/DVI slot (aka 'TV' source connection). IS THIS MY ONLY OPTION TO KEEP FROM HAVING TO SCROLL THROUGH THE SOURCES ON THE SAMSUNG REMOTE EACH TIME THE TV IS TURNED ON??? AM I LOOSING ANYTHING BY MAKING THIS CONNECTION?

b. I have also changed the ATT LAN conn from Sony LAN back to Samsung LAN(in) since Blue Ray is wireless & TV is not. With LAN to Sony, the Samsung does not recognize a connection for apps/updates w/o. If I access the Apps on the Samsung it disconnects the Sony Blue Ray. IS THIS A CORRECT CONNECTION? DOES THE LAN CONN NOT PASS THROUGH TO SAMSUNG WHEN CONN'D TO HTS? AM I LOOSING ANYTHING WITH THIS CONN?

Collapse -
Lets go back to the connection question
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 16, 2011 10:51 AM PDT

maripour,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.