TVs & Home Theaters forum

Connecting Panasonic DMR-EZ48V

by TWR28 / October 31, 2011 8:45 PM PDT

I'm hoping somebody can help me figure out whether or not I need an HDMI cable to connect the DVD Recorder to my TV.
The TV I'm using is a Visio flat screen that is not connected to a cable box although it is connected to a cable tv connection coming out of the wall from our cable company.
Your help would be appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting Panasonic DMR-EZ48V
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting Panasonic DMR-EZ48V
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: cable
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 31, 2011 8:50 PM PDT

What do you want to do: record or only play?
What cable now going from the wall to the TV?
SD or HD from the cable?
SD or HD recorder?
What input/output available on the TV?
What input/output available on the recorder?

If that HDMI cable should work, why not buy it?

Collapse -
Connecting DVD Recorder
by TWR28 / October 31, 2011 10:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: cable

Thanks for your reply.
I would like to record and play.
The cable from the wall to the TV is a cable from my cable TV provider. We have one cable box in our home, but it is not connected to the TV that we are hooking the Panasonic DVD Recorder up to. We already have another of the same model DVD Recorder hooked up to the TV that is connected to the cable box.
We don't plan on using the TV too much that we purchased this new DVD Recorder for, but we wanted the DVD Recorder in case our first DVD Recorder died.
The TV is a fairly new Visio that has outputs for HDMI, but I'm trying to figure out if the fact that this TV isn't connected to a HD cable box if it will do me any good to connect it to the DVD Recorder with an HDMI cable.
The DVD Recorder also has output for HDMI.
Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by SD.
The Panasonic DVD Recorder's model number is DMR-EZ48V if that helps.

Collapse -
Connecting Panasonic DMR-EZ48V
by TWR28 / November 1, 2011 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: cable

I called Panasonic, and got the answer to my question.
For anybody else who may need help with this the guy at Panasonic told me use an HDMI cable instead of an RF in cable from the TV to an RF out to the DVD Recorder. He said that the picture quality would be better.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.