TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Connecting Old Onkyo Receiver to New Sony Bravia TV

by JakeBlues951 / February 21, 2009 10:37 AM PST

Have an old (probably 8 years old- no HDMI connections and old speaker connections) Onkyo receiver that I had hooked up a home theater system on my old TV. We recently moved and got a 52 inch Bravia 1080p TV. I have hooked up a blue ray DVD player up and have been able to get that to play through the home theater system but can't get the TV to play over it like I did before.

Any one have any ideas?

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting Old Onkyo Receiver to New Sony Bravia TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting Old Onkyo Receiver to New Sony Bravia TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could you be very specific
by Pepe7 / February 21, 2009 11:16 AM PST

We need to know exactly which components are involved (which Onkyo/Bravia/Blu Ray models?). Also, which connections are working for you and using which type of cable(?) Drawing us a virtual 'map' of your config that has worked can help ;).

-Pedro

Collapse -
Re: Could you be very Specific
by JakeBlues951 / February 21, 2009 1:11 PM PST

Pedro,

The question pertains to getting the Sony Bravia KDL 52w 4100 connected so I can play audio through the receiver speakers via my old Onkyo TX-SV434 tuner amplifier. I am pretty confident that I have the correct outgoing connection from the Sony Bravia as I have consulted the manual. However, given the age of the Onkyo TX-SV434 and that I don't have a manual I am not certain I have accessed the correct input. I have been trying the video 2 audio inputs and it hasn't worked. I am using a 3 pronged connector cable that has red, white and yellow. I am using the red and white to plug into the left and right- matching them at each end appropriately.

One thought is that I do have the BlueRay hooked up into the receiver via the video audio channel so it can play cd's. I don't think that should be an issue.

I appreciate your help.

Collapse -
more info needed
by Pepe7 / February 22, 2009 12:24 AM PST

cable or sat box/make/models? anything else? Wink

-Pedro

Collapse -
Connecting Sony TV and Old Onkyo receiver- Additional info
by JakeBlues951 / February 22, 2009 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: more info needed

Pedro,

It's a cable box- Comcast HDTV Compatible box- can't find a model number on it. Looked all over the back. But the sound should be coming in via the TV right so the cable box shouldn't make a difference right?

Thanks

Jeff

Collapse -
OK
by Pepe7 / February 22, 2009 3:31 AM PST

That helps Wink

In order for you to get sound from your cable box to the speakers connected to your old receiver, you shouldn't be 'backtracking' from the HDTV. In other words, it would be an analog audio connection (red/white audio out) from the back of the cable box to the old receiver. It's fine to use HDMI from the Comcast HD box to the HDTV so you can view the high def video feed. Just keep the sound muted on the TV, or on a lower volume to keep the balance with the other speakers.

-Pedro

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.