Smart Home & Appliances

General discussion

Connecting my Sennheiser Wireless Headphones

by stephen039 / July 21, 2010 6:51 AM PDT

My PS3 is connected to my Sony surround sound system via a HDMI cable. My Rogers HD PVR is connected to the surround sound system via a HDMI cable. And my surround sound system is connected to my TV via a HDMI cable. Before I got a surround sound system, I used to plug my headphones into the AUDIO OUTPUT terminal at the back of my TV (the headphones have an audio cable that's permanently attached at one end and has a red plug and a black plug on the other) to enjoy a TV channel or Blu-ray.

How do I connect my headphones so that my wife doesn't have to listen to what I'm watching (she has a problem with gunfire, explosions and other manly things)? I tried leaving them connected to the AUDIO OUTPUT at the back of the TV, turning off the TV speakers and muting the surround sound system speakers, but that didn't work. Neither my TV nor the receiver have a headphone jack, by the way.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting my Sennheiser Wireless Headphones
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting my Sennheiser Wireless Headphones
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2010 11:59 PM PDT

To get others the info to help, post a link to that Sony surround system so they know exactly what you have.

Collapse -
Link to my Sony Surround System
by stephen039 / July 22, 2010 12:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Tip.
Collapse -
And what's wrong with connecting the PS3 the old way?
by ahtoi / July 22, 2010 2:35 AM PDT

PS3 directly to the TV.

Collapse -
RE: And what's wrong with connecting the PS3 the old way?
by stephen039 / July 22, 2010 2:46 AM PDT

I was just following the Sony surround sound system's manual so I could listen to PS3 games or Blu-rays in surround sound.

If I hook the PS3 to my TV, can I still hear PS3 games and Blu-rays in surround system?

Collapse -
Try make an digital audio connection...
by ahtoi / July 22, 2010 6:55 AM PDT

between the TV and the surround system. It should work but I am not 100% sure. Are you using this connection now? If not, then give it a try. It won't hurt anything.

Collapse -
Re: Connecting Your Sennheiser Wireless Headphones
by ambienttales / August 21, 2010 3:19 PM PDT

Hi.
I bought my Wife a set of Wireless Sennheiser Headphones (One for her and one for me
or a guest) We have a Sony Trinitron TV and were using the closed caption (with the sound on as well) as ? we are not hearing as well, have two Older Kids in the house
and it sounds great as well)
They charge on a base station one at a time and have quite a extended battery-charge life

These are truly wireless , we can site on the sofa with them on and watch Cable TV
or DVD's through a Sony DVD-R (We can use DVD +RW or -RW and reformat them to
save money rather than use DVD-R's Its a basic wire in so the audio signal transmits
By your post (correct me if I am wrong) You indicated You used to plug them in
Our son has a wireless headphone with a microphone for his XBox 360 (when using the Live online capability) and we do not hear anything from his TV and gaming system
The company (now) has come out with a multi-platform headset-microphone for the PS3
as well as the Xbox 360 (its in Florida and also sells on Amazon) off the top of my head I do not recall the name of the company (but high quality, great warranty and under $100.00
The Sennheiser set I bought ? two years ago was abit more than that and bought it through Amazon
The Owner of Sennheiser (Mr. same last name) recently passed away sadly, the Company has expanded in to many areas and their microphones XLR are high quality for a good price point, I have one of their microphones that I use along with Shure SM57's and SM58's
Sorry if I got off track here s well
Best of Luck
ambienttales

Collapse -
connecting my sennheiser 120 headsets to sony home theater
by arcadia11 / January 15, 2015 11:43 PM PST

all ports are in use on back of my Sony home theater system. including digital optical audio out and all HDMI ports...the receiver controls sound for TV. Blu-ray, and X=Box...need some help on how to hook up headsets so whatever component I'm using, the sound comes thru headsets only. Is this possible? the Sony home theater is an HT_SS360 model

Collapse -
This thread is more than 1639 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2015 1:09 AM PST

Tip: Avoid burying new questions in old posts.

Answer: Some receivers have headphone jacks that do this. Call Onkyo and ask which model will do this trick.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.