TVs & Home Theaters forum

Connecting my Samsung led tv to my Sony surround system

by Shaneacton125 / January 15, 2013 7:30 AM PST

I'm trying to figure the best way to hook up my Samsung led 3dhd tv, model UE40EH6030 to my Sony DVD surround sound system. The surround system is not hdmi compatible, so I have come to the conclusion that I will have to use the digital audio out on the tv and hook it up to the digital audio in on the surround system. Is it just as simple as just plugging in the digital audio lead as away I go, or are there other things/settings I'll have to configure? (Bit of a novice at this)

Also, to add another spanner in the works, I'd also like to run my PS3 through the surround system. What would be the best way for this, as I want the surround sound but also the hd picture quality at the same time. Can I use a hdmi cable from the ps3 to the tv for the picture quality, and the audio optical from the ps3 to the surround system for the sound? Any help for rigging this up the most efficient way would be appreciated. Cheers.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting my Samsung led tv to my Sony surround system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting my Samsung led tv to my Sony surround system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Like this. Source -> Surround -> HDTV.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2013 7:51 AM PST

If your surround does not support HDMI passthrough then you hook from source to the surround and a video link to the HDTV.

WHY? Due to HDCP rules, high def sound (surround for instance) may not pass through a device with speakers. There are few notable exceptions such as over the air and apps on the TV but from the PS3 to the TV to the output and you get stereo.

Collapse -
by Shaneacton125 / January 15, 2013 8:07 AM PST

Thanks for the reply. So ok, running an optical from the ps3 directly to the surround system for audio, and a hdmi cable from the ps3 to the cable for picture will not work then?

Sorry, I'm not all that high tech so bare with me... Based on your suggestion, what leads am I running.. Optical from ps3 and then (video link? What lead is this?) from surround to tv?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2013 9:06 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

You wrote the best setup known for the PS3, you read about it widely and then write it won't work? Can you tell why?

Yes, you may have lip sync issues but that's a given.

Collapse -
by Shaneacton125 / January 15, 2013 8:11 AM PST

Will running from source - surround - tv still gives hd quality picture since there is no hdmi connection in the setup you suggest?

Collapse -
Yes, provided you bypass the Sony DVD surround
by Pepe7 / January 15, 2013 9:53 AM PST
In reply to: Also..

PS3 should be connected as follows to get both surround sound, and HD on the HDTV.

PS3 (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) HDTV
"" "" (digital optical out--> (Digital optical in) Sony DVD surround

Also, out of curiosity, is there a cable or satellite box in this mix somewhere(?)

Collapse -
Thank you
by Shaneacton125 / January 15, 2013 7:31 PM PST

Thanks for clarifying. I'll give that a shot tonight (haven't set this all up yet, moved house this weekend so was preparing before I get started)

Also the tv has freeview with a standard Ariel cable plugged into the back of it, that is all.
However, we will be getting sky+ in the near future so I guess this will complicate things a little further...?

Collapse -
Sorry, I'm in the U.S....
by Pepe7 / January 15, 2013 11:49 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you I'm not very familiar with your systems or hardware. Satellite boxes/features can definitely vary a little though.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.