Samsung forum

General discussion

Connecting my Plasma to my PC via the VGA port.

by Sapinto / January 9, 2009 5:41 PM PST

I recently bought a Samsung 42" PN42A400 Plasma TV and want to connect my Sony Vaio laptop to the VGA input on my new TV. I can't seem to get it to work. I have set it to the proper resolution and tried various refresh rates to no effect. I can't seem to get the TV to recognize and activate the PC input. I've tried rebooting my computer and getting it to activate when the PC starts up. Nothing I've done works or makes the TV able to switch to the proper input.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting my Plasma to my PC via the VGA port.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting my Plasma to my PC via the VGA port.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Graphic Properties
by gomser / January 10, 2009 1:04 AM PST

Setup your graphic properties for that port. right-click on the desktop and select graphic properties. There, you will find settings for the VGA Monitor port.

Collapse -
Exaustively tested
by Sapinto / January 10, 2009 8:35 AM PST
In reply to: Graphic Properties

G,
Thanks for the advice but let me assure you that I've adjusted and troubleshot both the 'graphic properties' and windows display settings to no avail. The 'graphic properties' recognizes that there is a monitor (TV) attached but I can't seem to get the TV to recognize that there is a Laptop attached and make the PC input active. I've set it all up on the PC and restarted the TV in hopes that the input would then be activated. Unfortunately to no avail. The problem seems to be on the TVs end. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
TV seetings
by gomser / January 11, 2009 8:09 AM PST
In reply to: Exaustively tested

I have the Samsung LNT4665FX/XAA and Vaio VGN-SR220J. The TV wont display "PC" on the upper left side of the screen if it doesn't ditect a signal from the VGA cable connected to the Vaio when pressing the "source" button on the remote control.

Try the following (that's what I did):

1. Ensure that the VGA cable is working properly using other methods. Perhaps you have another monitor.

2. On the Vaio select the signal to display both, the PC and Monitor.

3. Every time you change settings on the Vaio, to display the Monitor, press the source button on the TV for that particular setting and check if the TV can recognize the Vaio.

Good luck!!!

Collapse -
VAIO....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 12, 2009 1:01 PM PST
In reply to: TV seetings

Many of the Sony laptops have a BIOS update that also fixes this issue. Try updating your computer's BIOS to see if that fixes the problem.

--HDTech

Collapse -
samsung and vga
by budwich / February 7, 2009 1:14 PM PST

Your problem is your cable. No there is nothing "wrong" with it but it is likely not built the way samsung is expecting it. The grounds and the connector case ground need to be connected together. Once that is accomplished, your tv will recognize that a cable is attached ("lighting the PC mode") and then you can proceed with any other things like connecting your pc or other devices. Note: you don't have to have a device connected to the other end of the cable for the TV to recognize the cable. You will find another cnet post on samsung and vga cables that provide a bit more info.

Collapse -
Disable automatic outpu!
by Sapinto / February 8, 2009 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: samsung and vga

Bud,
I appreciate your response, however it ended up not being my VGA cable. On a lot of the VAIO laptops the VGA out put is automatically on all the time. The TV does not recognize the connection that way. The TV only recognizes the VGA cable (and the PC input) when it feels a change in state. If you have all the updated drivers and the patches put out by Sony you still HAVE to disable automatic output in the VAIO portion of your control panel. This way when you hit 'Fn+F7' the TV knows to activate and change to the PC input.

For anyone trying to do this that has reformatted their PC at some point here is a tip:

Install EVERYTHING from Sony according to their instructions (drivers, packages, updates, patches, etc.). Then there will be a 'sony' section in your control panel, but if there is not then go to:
C:\Program Files\Sony\Setting Utility Series and select: VCCExternalOutput.exe once that opens you can disable automatic output. Then plug it in and hit Fn+F7 and you should be good to go!

Good Luck!

Collapse -
saqmsung and vga
by budwich / February 8, 2009 12:14 PM PST

glad it is fixed for you. On my samsung DLP TV, with three different computers (mac and two pc's), we couldn't get it to work until we modified the cable as I suggested and now it works fine for all. We got our "clue" from another cable which worked with no problems... so in our case, it wasn't the computers, it was the cable... as it was for a few others out there. Either way, hopefully people will get their setup to work.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by phipsi102 / July 3, 2010 2:35 AM PDT

Sapinto- This solution worked perfectly for me- thank you so much! I've been struggling with this on and off for a couple of years, and had given up on it. Working now!

Collapse -
Cant select pc mode on TV
by adamskirocket / February 9, 2009 5:51 AM PST

Budwich...with reference to your post:
The grounds and the connector case ground need to be connected together. Once that is accomplished, your tv will recognize that a cable is attached ("lighting the PC mode") and then you can proceed with any other things like connecting your pc or other devices....

What do you mean by the grounds needs to be connected to the connector case grounds??

I am trying to connect my pc with my samsung tv. Cant select pc in source menu. When I connect the vga cable the laptop recognises it and i can change the output to monitor, screen on pc goes blank but still cant select pc mode. Soooooo annoying!!

Collapse -
samsung and vga
by budwich / February 9, 2009 8:01 AM PST

There are 5 grounds running in a vga cable(one for each color and one for horizontal and vertical sync).... plus there is a "sheath ground" running from the connector outer case to the other connector outer case. What I found is that IF the 5 grounds are connected to the connector casing ground, then samsung TV's are able to detect that you have a cable connected and then it allows the "pc mode" to "light" which then allows you to select that input on the display unit. Some cables have this "method" already wired in, other... alot... don't. I don't know which is right. As a cable that works on other monitors (ie. dell) will not work with samsung displays. If you get a meter and measure the ground pins on the vga connector to see if they are connected / soldered to the casing ground on the connect...this will probably tell if the cable will function with samsung... from my experience. If you are electronically inclined, you can make a "doggle" that will connect the appropriate pins accordingly. If not, you need to "hunt" for a cable with the characteristic that I just described. In my "hunt", there was no easy "price clue". Cheap cables with only 6 wires worked while more expensive cables with "heavier designs" didn't.

Collapse -
cable lenght?
by taeleebr / February 9, 2009 9:43 AM PST

Hi!!!

My samsung TV would recognize my 6" svga cable, even without being connected to the laptop...but not my 10" cable.

I tested my 10" to my sony bravia, and it works.
But not on my samsung!!!

there is a guy on the other post that have the same problem....could be the lengh of the svga cable...please help!

Collapse -
samsung and vga
by budwich / February 9, 2009 11:43 AM PST
In reply to: cable lenght?

get a meter and measure for continuity between the ground pins and the connector casing. Compare the differences between the two cables. My bet is that the short cable has ground continuity while the longer cable doesn't.

Collapse -
Recommend
by taeleebr / February 10, 2009 2:10 AM PST

Hi,

So can you please tell me the brand of the cable with that profile? so i could order it on-line?

Also Svga to Hdmi cable would be one of the options?

Thanks in advance...

Collapse -
Cable Brand?
by taeleebr / February 10, 2009 7:16 AM PST
In reply to: Recommend

Please...

Collapse -
samsung and vga
by budwich / February 11, 2009 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: Cable Brand?

its not that easy... if it was, why don't you just order a "copy" of your "working 6 foot cable" in a longer length???? The cables that I have don't have any distinguishing marks on them and came in "generic" packaging from a computer store.

Collapse -
I dont know
by taeleebr / February 11, 2009 6:37 AM PST

I dont know the brand of my 6" cable...

Collapse -
sony vaio model VGN-FG68GP
by bdithu / April 11, 2009 10:21 PM PDT
In reply to: I dont know

Hi,
Can some one help me out , aim trying to connect my sony vaio laptop VGN-FG68GP to latest samsung plasma tv with VGA cable, i have follwed all the instructions given by the forum members, i did downloaded software patches from sony centre, but still it not working, on tv its not recognising at all, but its working well when i tried to hook my mates laptop with the same tv and same cable, it will be really great if some one can help with fixing this problem, thanx

Collapse -
BIOS
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 13, 2009 6:44 PM PDT

taeleebr,

Did you try updating your BIOS from the Sony site?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Working cables on ebay
by akaar1 / September 20, 2009 12:10 PM PDT

Working cables are on ebay. Search 'samsung hdtv pc cable'.

Collapse -
HOOKING UP LAPTOP TO SAMSUNG PLASMA TV WITH "SVGA" CABLE
by EASTVIEW6 / May 17, 2012 9:25 AM PDT

I hooked up my Dell Laptop to my Samsung Plasma TV and the response on the TV is

"NOT SUPPORTED MODE" what do I do ? .............Thanks

Collapse -
Model Code?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 18, 2012 2:00 AM PDT

EASTVIEW6,

I'm very sorry to hear that has happened, and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. In order for me to better help you, could you please provide for me the complete model code for this device?

I hope I can get this issue fixed for you!

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
Samsung's Plasma VGA inputs blew my lap top
by CAPTAINSOLO2009 / July 12, 2012 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Model Code?

Looks like there is miswiring with Samsung's VGA input.

When hooked up to my laptop It damaged the MB. Help!

Collapse -
I've seen this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2012 4:38 AM PDT

Sadly we traced it to a miswired AC outlet. So Samsung was off the hook in all dozen cases.
Bob

Collapse -
Miswired AC in dozen cases??
by CAPTAINSOLO2009 / July 12, 2012 2:52 PM PDT
In reply to: I've seen this.

Miswired AC in dozen cases??

You think I am stupid?

Your statement made me mad enough that I will sue SAMSUNG and its low life touts!

Collapse -
I wish it was something else too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2012 12:06 AM PDT

All dozen folk were ready to file suits. All but one were fuming mad about it. The one that was calm admitted they had not used a certified electrician so they were nice about it. That one we were able to correct the socket in a few minutes. The others had litigation in mind so we could not help them. We gave them a card from a local shop that would come out and document the problem for their court case.
Bob

Collapse -
help
by Ginganinja808 / January 2, 2013 4:44 AM PST
In reply to: Graphic Properties

my pc witch was vga and dvi outputs wont connect to my samsung 32 inch hdtv for some reason but my laptop will connect to the tv

Collapse -
This thread is 4 years old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 4:48 AM PST
In reply to: help

And look at how it went.

Try a new post with the full details of the PC and the model number of the display.

This old thread is now closed.
Bob

Collapse -
Shorts in Samsung's plasma panels VGA inputs
by CAPTAINSOLO2009 / July 12, 2012 2:49 AM PDT

I connected my HP laptop to Samsung's 63 inch plasma panel. It blew my HP laptop. The HDD was damaged. windows would not boot.

Replaced the HDD and installed new Windows, but the keyboard would not work. Looks like the MB was damaged too. My laptop is toast! FxxK THIS.

Collapse -
Model Code Please?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 13, 2012 12:00 AM PDT

Hi CaptainSolo2009,

I'm very sorry for the problem you're facing. I realize you're upset, and I'd like to see if we can assist in any way. The OP was about a 42" Plasma TV, but your post mentions a 63" model. So we're lacking a model code for your TV. Could you let me know what the model code is please? Also, if you've already contacted Samsung about this, can you give me any transaction numbers from those conversations?

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
SAMSUNG PLASMA 63 IN 8000 SERIES
by CAPTAINSOLO2009 / July 13, 2012 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Model Code Please?

I could not find the model or serial number anywhere on the panel.

It was 63 inch plasma series 8000 bought in Dec 2010.

Damaging my lap top caused a lot of work and loss of data. Damages are very high.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.