Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Connecting LAN equipmet to WLAN equipment

by Merwyns / December 19, 2012 5:08 AM PST

On a small office setup we have many computers connected to one another using wireless LAN. One of the PCs on the WLAN also has a LAN connection with a few other equipment connected to it. The WLAN IP Addresses are 192.168.1.XXX and the LAN addresses are 192.168.0.XXX. How can I get to communicate the WLAN computers with the equipment on LAN.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting LAN equipmet to WLAN equipment
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting LAN equipmet to WLAN equipment
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
By changing the netmask to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2012 5:10 AM PST

Sorry but this is pretty basic networking. Can I asked what happened to your IT staff?

Collapse -
To R.Proffitt and Bob
by Merwyns / December 19, 2012 6:40 AM PST

To be honest I am writing this from the ship. We are presently sailing. Few days back we recd our installation CD for Internet at sea thru the satellite. The main communication computer is connected to the satellite transmitter/receiver (Felcom FBB 500) thru a LAN connection and I am able to connect to the internet thru the LAN connection. However when I connect other computers to the main computer via the WLAN connection I am unable to get my internet on these WLAN computers. Sorry, but most of us here have very little knowledge on networking. When you mean netmask is reqd to be changed is it the subnet mask and is it reqd to be changed on all the computers.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Collapse -
Again, it's basic networking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2012 6:57 AM PST
In reply to: To R.Proffitt and Bob

You only need to change it on machines that need to get to that other LAN and as well on your network gear where needed.

As you remember microsoft shares such as files and printers must be on the same LAN (sorry but I'm covering basic stuff here and some network folk get really upset when I go to the basics.)

So that's why we have to treat it like one big LAN.

Collapse -
Changing the subnet mask to did not work
by Merwyns / December 21, 2012 6:14 AM PST

Dear Bob,

The simple networking did not work out. I changed the subnet mask to on all computers I wanted to get linked on LAN and WLAN, but it did not work. Any other basic networking solutions to this small basic networking problem.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2012 6:50 AM PST

I only have the notes so far. Here when I change this to the LAN it causes the LANs to merge into one big LAN. If you have multiple routers I don't know this and it moves beyond simple to where I send you to companies for support.

Collapse -
by Merwyns / December 22, 2012 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: Remember

Dear Bob,

Many many thanks for your assistance. Have requested my company IT dept to come up with a solution. Lets hope for the best.
Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
It should have been just settings.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 4:09 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Sorry that I can't see your setup but just the mask and the usual ethernet cable to connect the LANs should have been the end of this one. At the office we did that and had one more step. Since each LAN (WLAN is just a wireless LAN) had a DHCP server we had to turn one of them off.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.