Windows 8 forum

Question

Connecting iPod/iPhone to Surface RT

by caseyk55 / June 3, 2013 12:02 AM PDT

Hi,
I know that iTunes isn't available for Windows RT and I would think that this would be a big problem for most people, but I can't find much info about it (complaints, solutions, etc.).

Is there any other way to sync music with my iPod? With all the other hacks and ways to bypass things on RT I'm surprised that I haven't heard of anything. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting iPod/iPhone to Surface RT
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting iPod/iPhone to Surface RT
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Surface RT is well, completely controlled by Microsoft.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2013 12:51 AM PDT

I've written a lot about this. So far, if it's not in the Microsoft store, you can't install it. So if Microsoft doesn't allow iTunes then there is no iTunes.

-> Remember that RT is a restricted device and not a "Personal Computer." In my view it's an experiment to see if consumers are ready to go back to the bad old days of proprietary devices with no choice of where to get apps.

Because it's not a PC, no one I know ones one. I do know folk that tried it and developers that took it for a spin and later walked out on it. It will be interesting to see if it takes off if they have to run a fire sale like the Blackberry tablet had to do. When it hit 99 bucks, it was popular.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Typo. No one I know owns one...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2013 10:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
it synced
by steven6817 / September 5, 2013 6:25 AM PDT

I just purchased a surface rt last week and installed the current updates and my iPod synced with the installed music player without issues. It imported all of the songs on my iPod

Collapse -
Which iPod?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2013 8:36 AM PDT
In reply to: it synced

My old 20GB iPod syncs because it predates Apples new encrypted transport.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.