Storage forum

Question

Connecting internal desktop HD to my laptop not recognized

by nas57 / December 4, 2012 12:17 PM PST

I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160G HD that I am trying to get data off of from a desktop. I am trying to connect it to a new laptop running windows 8. The usb recognizes a flash drive but not the HD. In computer management nothing shows up in either device manager or disk management. I also tried plugging the HD into all 3 usb ports.

I ordered http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-TO-IDE-SATA-S-SATA-Converter-CABLE-Adaptor-w-POWER-/130812191130?pt=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item1e7503a19a

The HD spins when powered up with this cable and the sata to usb I tried in every port, nothing. Any ideas?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting internal desktop HD to my laptop not recognized
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting internal desktop HD to my laptop not recognized
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try a hard drive enclosure
by Manpreet_C Dell staff / December 4, 2012 6:55 PM PST

Hi,

You can try to connect the hard drive to a different computer using the converter.
You can also test the hard drive with a USB hard drive enclosure which lets you determine if the hard drive is functional.

If the USB enclosure works, you may have to change the USB to SATA Converter Cable Adapter.
If not, the hard drive may have failed.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

Collapse -
USB enclosure
by nas57 / December 5, 2012 3:42 AM PST

What benifit would a enclosure provide beside HD protection? I was under the impression all I would need was the above mentioned sata to usb with power cable. I could try to connect the HD to my computer at work.

Collapse -
Answer
I own one of those cables.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2012 5:58 AM PST

Too bad you didn't reveal the exact drive you have. ST3160811AS for example.

You didn't tell if you were on a desktop, laptop, OS and more. For example XP could have an issue to not show that drive.

And a corrupted drive would not show in Explorer but may show in Device Manager.
Tell more.
Bob

Collapse -
ill get the exact drive tonight
by nas57 / December 5, 2012 6:02 AM PST

The drive came out of an emachine desktop 05' ish running XP, trying to connect via usb to a new Toshiba laptop running windows 8.

Collapse -
Wowsers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2012 6:34 AM PST

OK can you boot an OS like Ubuntu Live from CD and see if it sees it?

-> And did it show in DEVICE MANAGER? Yes I dropped that hint but didn't ask so now I'm asking.
Bob

Collapse -
1st post
by nas57 / December 5, 2012 6:41 AM PST
In reply to: Wowsers.

As I said in the first post it does not appear anywhere, device manager etc.

Collapse -
Then hope the USB case works.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2012 7:25 AM PST
In reply to: 1st post

And if that fails, http://www.drivesavers.com is next.

I also asked for the drive model but I see I didn't ask. So now I'm asking.
Bob

Collapse -
forgot to add
by nas57 / December 5, 2012 6:35 AM PST

the OS fried on the desktop but before that happened I ran a check disk and it showed 0 bad sectors, if that means anything.

Collapse -
Drive specs
by nas57 / December 5, 2012 10:15 AM PST

ST3160212A
P/N 98D012-500
FIRMWARE:2AAA
ULTRA ATA

Collapse -
See page 35 at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2012 10:22 AM PST
In reply to: Drive specs
Collapse -
Answer
New discovery
by nas57 / December 6, 2012 11:28 PM PST

Hooked the HD up to my computer at work and it recognized the usb connection. When I opened my computer and double clicked on Local Disk (J:) it says not accessible, the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. Is it doomed?

I still dont know why my laptop wouldnt do this however...

Collapse -
That's a new issue and we have a post about that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 12:19 AM PST
In reply to: New discovery
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.