TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

connecting external speakers to Bravia

by yesaji / November 29, 2010 5:17 AM PST

I have Sony - KDL-40EX400 - 40" LCD TV and Bose Companion 3 speakers (with only 3.5 mm input). There is no pc jack (3.5 mm) on my TV, so I decided to use RCA out from TV to speakers (3.5 mm) It works great but I cannot control the the volume (or mute) using TV remote contol. Any solutions ? It is a right way to go ? is there any other better way ? Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: connecting external speakers to Bravia
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: connecting external speakers to Bravia
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Those are PC speakers
by Pepe7 / November 29, 2010 6:25 AM PST

You would benefit from buying real loudspeakers and an inexpensive AV receiver.

Collapse -
AV Receiver?
by kpsocal / November 30, 2010 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: Those are PC speakers

Hello All!

I'm in the same boat as yesaji, I have an old Zenith Home Theater (XBS344) and a Vizio TV that has no external speaker input. What can I use to connect my speaker system to my Vizio without having to drop a lot of $$? (fixed budget concerns, currently)

Thanks!

Keenan

Collapse -
Which vizio? Do you use cable or satellite?
by Pepe7 / November 30, 2010 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: AV Receiver?

It would help to know which Vizio model you have.

If you use satellite or cable, you simply connect the audio output to your zenith home theater. If you have neither of the above and the Vizio's doing the legwork you may be SOL. If your Vizio doesn't have any audio output you will be in trouble.

Collapse -
Vizio w32l
by kpsocal / November 30, 2010 10:13 AM PST

I have cable connected thru the Zenith, the problem is the Vizio W32L has no external speaker jacks, only HDMI jacks - I was just hoping to get by without having to pony up for a new home theater with HDMI audio connections. Thanks though.

Collapse -
cable box, or straight cable coax to the Zenith?
by Pepe7 / December 1, 2010 1:43 AM PST
In reply to: Vizio w32l

Looking at the rear of the Zenith here-
http://www.fixya.com/support/p168537-zenith_xbs344_system/manual-6463/page-10

You appear to have digital optical in, as well as coax inputs for audio via coax from the wall (or cable box). If there is no cable box and your Vizio is tuning in all the stations, you could try two things. First, split the cable at the wall and run one into the Zenith. The second half of the split would go to the Vizio. Mute the audio on the Vizio and use the audio features/speakers of the Zenith.

If you could be more specific on how you have everything hooked up we can know for certain what other options exist. List the current connections & cable types too if possible.

Collapse -
You need external speakers with volume control
by Dan Filice / November 30, 2010 8:22 AM PST

If you use powered speakers like these (http://audioengineusa.com/) they will have their own volume control. I use these speakers for my iPod and my computer. They should work using the RCA-to-Mini cable on your Sony. I have the Model 2 speakers ($170) and they are pretty darn nice. Not surround, but you need a receiver for that.

Collapse -
receiver
by yesaji / December 1, 2010 1:49 AM PST

Thanks Dan,

these speakers look great. By the way if i go for the receiver can i connect my TV audio out to the receiver and from there to bose and control using receiver ? which receiver (cheap) i should get ? Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Receiver
by Dan Filice / December 1, 2010 2:42 AM PST
In reply to: receiver

A receiver will work since it will take the low-level speaker line output and amplify it. As to which one...there are a zillion. I would try to buy a name brand like Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo. If you don't need surround 5.1 you could use a stereo receiver, but those seem hard to find now days.

Collapse -
Nah, they're still quite easy to find
by Pepe7 / December 1, 2010 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: Receiver
Collapse -
Thanks
by yesaji / December 1, 2010 5:41 AM PST

Thanks a lot, Dan and Pepe7. I think I will get a receiver. I love my Bose speakers. Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.