Computer Help

General discussion

Connecting computer to TV

by dicctator / January 18, 2008 2:07 PM PST

I recently got an HDTV (Vizio VX37L), and I want to connect my pc to it. My pc has a DVI-I port and my tv has a HDMI port, so I bought a DVI-D to HDMI cable to make the connection.

After I connected the pc to the tv and turned the computer on, the tv screen would say "no signal" but later the pc windows load screen showed on the tv, but that was it. As soon as the pc was done loading (with me logging in and everything), the tv goes back to saying "no signal."

Did I do something wrong in connecting the pc to the tv? Could it be because my pc has a DVI-I port but I used a DVI-D cable instead? But I was told that a DVI-D male would fit into a DVI-I female.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting computer to TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting computer to TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Many of those DVI to HDMI convertors are limited in
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2008 1:12 AM PST

Try setting your Windows resolution to 800x600 or 640x480 for a test.

Collapse -
PS. Why DVD or Videos don't show up...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2008 1:28 AM PST

Once you sort out the video issue the very next question is "Why don't my DVDs show up?" The answer has to do with "video acceleration" most of the time. Try setting it to none.

Collapse -
This isn't a good idea
by Jimmy Greystone / January 19, 2008 1:21 AM PST

This isn't a good idea, and you're not likely to be happy with the results, but since most people seem to need to figure this out for themselves...

Computer monitors and TVs may look the same, and operate on a number of the same basic principles, but they are NOT the same. TVs have fixed resolutions they can display. Non-HDTV sets had a single fixed resolution they could display. HDTVs may have as many as 3 basic resolutions they can display. If your computer is not configured to output a signal on one of these specific resolutions, then you will be very unlikely to get a signal on your TV.

Also, it should be noted that TVs tend to have much lower response rates compared to monitors, and they are NOT designed to hold static images like a computer monitor. They are designed for a steady stream of images at either 30 or 60fps depending on if we're talking interlaced or progressive scanning. An HDTV set will function better than an older non-HDTV set, but the results will still be considerably less than the fantasy you've created in your mind.

I know it sounds like a great idea to use this big screen TV you just got as a computer monitor, and it looks great on paper, but when you actually go and try to do it, it doesn't work so well. Anyone who's ever tried it will tell you pretty much the same thing. Your TV is NOT a good substitute for a proper monitor. If you want to watch movies on the new TV, get a DVD player to connect to it, or use some sort of device like the slingbox or an Xbox 360 as an intermediary between your computer and the TV.

The best advice I can give you, is to just stop now while all you've lost is some time and the cost of that cable. Take the time to really think about what it is you want to do by connecting your TV to the computer, and then do some proper research into that.

Collapse -
Jimmy
by dspeedme / January 19, 2008 8:36 AM PST
In reply to: This isn't a good idea

I'm going to have to disagree. In the past i would agree with you but i have bought and used 3 42 inch Vizio televisions and used them to connect to computers in areas where more than 1 persons needs to see the screen at a time and have been very pleased with the results. Never use anything less than at least a vga connection and do your homework before hand and using a tv as a computer monitor can be a very rewarding experience.

Collapse -
Can you advise me on buying an HDTV to replace four monitors
by myloudkids / April 6, 2008 6:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Jimmy

I have a question. I have 8 monitors, all 17", 4 in a row on top of 4 in a row.
I'd like to replace 4 of them with one large screen, like a 46" LCD or plasma TV. But, I don't know if the resolution of the 46" will be sufficient. I sit 24" from the screens.

I know how to attach a bigscreen to a computer through a DVI. I have a 60" Samsung HDTV in my family room. It is hooked up both to the cable/tv, and also to a PC. I can use the PC with the 60" as the monitor. That works fine, but I'm sitting 15' away, and am using the whole 60" for one window.

That's different than what I want to do at my desk. Here at my desk, I'm sitting 24" away. If I put a 46" monitor to replace 4 of the 17" monitors, I'll still have two or 3 windows open on the 46". It will be the same as with the 4 17" monitors, but I'll have a bit more screen real estate and no bezels breaking up the screens. Right now, I have Word docs which go up and down across 2 screens, so there are two bezels (monitor frames) in the middle of the document. The 46" wouldn't have that problem.

My question is whether the 46" will be high enough resolution, assuming it is 1080 (which is 1920x1080 resolution, I understand).

If so, then I will put a 46" in the middle to replace the 4 center monitors. Then, the 4 side monitors, I'll replace with four vertical 30" monitors, two on each side of the 46". Each set of two 30" monitors will be at a 45 degree angle to the 46" so they surround me.

If you have a chance to respond, I'd sure appreciate it.

Collapse -
Use the computer port. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 19, 2008 1:41 AM PST

I had the same problem with my IBM ThinkPad and my sony 55" SXRD. So I got a monitor extension cord. Not HDTV but you can still watch the TV.

Collapse -
I have done this
by dspeedme / January 19, 2008 8:30 AM PST

I have connected a Vizsio tv to a computer and was very pleased. The problem you are describing actually seems to be that the second monitor is not enable or you have not extended your desktop to the second monitor. open your display properties and verify that you see two displays click on the second one and check the box thats says extend my windows desktop onto this monitor. I am assuming you are using it as a second monitor and not the primary since you are able to log on and you have to be able to see that to login. This process may be different depending on the video card you are using and the driver version. i would refer you to their website for more information. If this is a laptop there is usually a hot key for this process also mine is fn + F3 but you would need to refer to your specific model to verify that also.

Collapse -
PC to Vizio VX37L
by Libertarian72205 / January 26, 2008 4:49 AM PST
In reply to: I have done this

I hooked the HDTV to a Dell Optiplex GX260, 2.0 ghz processor, 1 gig memory, 64mb onboard video via a SVGA cable and the PC In port on the TV. Works great, but I'm having trouble with 720p AVI files. Sound out of sync and choppy playback.

So I added an ATI Radeon 8x AGP with 256K memory and DVI out. (Sapphire X800SE) Connected via DVI to HDMI cable. Still choppy, sound still out of sync. Codec? Color is more intense, but sometimes contrast is way off.

I may go back to the SVGA cable.

Collapse -
Choppy DVD playback...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2008 6:13 AM PST
In reply to: PC to Vizio VX37L

Read http://winhlp.com/node/10

Sorry if this does not apply but your post is light. No word on the DVD title, the player, DVD drive connection, etc.

-> The GX260 however is a poor choice for over standard DVD NTSC output due to that horrible i845 chipset. I don't hold much hope for over SD playback.

Bob

Collapse -
Choppy DVD Playback
by Libertarian72205 / April 7, 2008 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Choppy DVD playback...

Actually, I wasn't playing DVD's, I was play AVI files.

Collapse -
cannot auto detect Vizio native resolution
by Jim Johnson / November 6, 2010 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: I have done this

I want to use a Win7 Pro x64 notebook (mostly for Windows Media Center) with my new 47" Vizio HDTV. The notebook has a VGA port, but not a HDMI port. The TV has a like port (called RGB)for attaching a computer. The notebook automatically detects the native resolution of almost any flat panel monitor - however it will NOT automatically detect the native resolution of my Vizio TV. I see this as a shortcoming with the TV.

My video card won't let me manually assign a resolution unless a monitor is plugged in. When I plug in the TV via the VGA port, all I get is "Invalid Format" ... it means the TV is telling the notebook that it's native resolution is a format it actually cannot support.

My notebook's built-in panel only supports up to 1280X800, and the TV supports 1920X1080 (1080p), but the next lowest commonly supported value is 1024X768 (60Hz used for all resolutions). So this is my only solution so far...

I set the notebook display to 1024X768, then enable screen cloning. The same image then shows on the TV. Next I EXTEND the desktop across both screens, and make the TV my primary monitor. I can then independently set the resolution for each screen - my notebook to its native 1280X800, and the TV to its native 1920X1080.

This works fine so long as both screens are in use. But if I close the notebook (it is set to NOT sleep because of this) so I only have the Vizio TV, the notebook again tries to read the native resolution (forgetting the resolution I just set) and again I get "Invalid Format". Vizio needs to do a firmware upgrade.

Collapse -
Vizio TV & PC
by BullardJ / March 24, 2008 1:58 PM PDT

I have the same TV but 37 inch. Model VX37L.

I have connected a PC to it and it works very well.

When I first connected I saw similar results as you. The boot screens came up and started loading Windows XP. Then when XP came up the video was very poor. There were lines across the screen and I could barely see and read the desktop. Well actually I couldn't even read most of it but knew where to go to get the video card settings. I changed resolutions to some random resolution since I couldn't even read the display. When I hit the "apply " button I got the message "no signal" from the TV. After 12 seconds Windows reverted back to my other settings. Finally I was able to change to a resolution that worked better. Now I could read what I was looking at and set the video card to 1280 x 720. This worked much better. But the windows desktop did not quit fit on my display.

My video card is NVidea FX5200. It detected my monitor and wanted to use this 1280 x 720 resolution. After some experimenting I decided 1176 x 664 worked best. Not quite perfect. Text was not as clear as I would like but video and games looked very good.

reading through the Vizio manual I discovered you should use the native resolution of the TV which is 1366x768. I tried that and once again got the "no signal" blue screen. I also noticed that Vizio recommends using an RGB type cable instead of DVI to HDMI. So I went and got a VGA cable, plugged it up and set it for 1366x768 and...

WOW. It works perfectly for web browsing, game playing, looking at pictures, etc. I haven't tried playing a DVD thru the computer since I already have a regular DVD player hooked up.

Whats really neat is that I can use picture-in-picture and put a TV window in the corner of my browser with audio. SO I can watch TV or whatever and browse or play games. Works really good with online Poker. Watch TV and play poke on one screen. And the computer video looks really good. Unreal Tournament 2004 is really awesome on the big screen. Graphics are perfect.

So I disagree with the poster who says it don't work. The key is this:

Get an RGB cable instead of DVI. Set the resolution of your video card to the native resolution of the TV which is 1366x768 at 60Hz.

Other TV's may be different but this one works great. The only problem I have is that my wireless keyboard and mouse have a range of only about 5-6 feet.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.