Computer Help

General discussion

Connecting Computer to AV Receiver

by tischman1 / February 14, 2010 8:29 AM PST

I'm trying to connect my dell desktop computer (Dell studio slim 540s) to my Pioneer SC-27 Receiver.

My computer has 2 HDMI connectors, 1 DVI-I dual link connector, S/P DIF, VGA connector, and the 6 pin (White, Black, Orange, Pink, Green and Blue) "typical" computer-to-speakers connection.

My receiver has just about every input and output you can think of.

I can connect my computer to my Samsung tv via HDMI and that works. The problem with that set-up is that I can't push the sound through my stereo speakers which is why I want to run the connection through the Pioneer SC-27. I have 4 HDMI inputs and 2 outputs from the SC-27. Currently the SC-27 is pushing the FIOS topset box, and my DVD and VHS through the HDMI cable to the TV. I'm just not having success with conecting the computer's HDMI to the SC-27.

Any help is appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting Computer to AV Receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting Computer to AV Receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should be pretty staight forward
by Jimmy Greystone / February 14, 2010 9:04 AM PST

Should be pretty straight forward. Run an HDMI cable from your computer to one of the inputs on your receiver, make sure the desktop resolution isn't higher than your TV can handle (so 1920x1080 if you have a 1080p TV, but make sure it's actually 1080p and not a scaled 1080i), run the output to your TV... Set the inputs correctly on the receiver, and done.

Alternately, you can bypass the receiver for video passthrough, and just run a toslink cable from the SPDIF port (or any RCA cable if it's digital coax) into the receiver. Presumably you can tell it to look for audio on one of the toslink/digital coax ports for an input, and then just run the video straight to your TV.

It's really pretty simple, so what part exactly is giving you trouble?

Collapse -
What is giving many grief.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2010 9:30 AM PST

Let's look at trouble.

Device (HDMI) -> Receiver -> HDTV

For some reasons about DRM, copy protections and such this seems to be trouble. It's a shame that all the makers locked it down like that.

If that fails try

Device (HDMI) -> HDTV -> (audio link of any type) -> Receiver

And failing that.

Device (COMPONENT) -> ANYTHING always seems to work when all else fails.
Bob

Collapse -
did you ever get this working?
by rjmatalon / November 7, 2010 10:19 PM PST

did you ever get this working? do you have digital sound out of the computer coming through your receiver and the speakers hooked up to your receiver?

i have the same computer and problem. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.