TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

Connecting computer speakers to TV

by gongy61 / December 8, 2012 3:10 AM PST

I hook my ps3 up to my lcd vizio tv via hdmi to play movies/video games. The speakers on the Vizio aren't the best so I use my 2.1 computer speakers instead. I plug the speakers into the headphone jack on the tv, but no sound plays through the subwoofer, just the satellite speakers. How do I get sound to play out of the subwoofer?

The subwoofer is definitely not broken as it works when I plug my speakers into my laptop.

Thanks!

gongy61 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting computer speakers to TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting computer speakers to TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by gongy61

Collapse -
Re: speakers
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 8, 2012 3:15 AM PST

A headphone is 2.0 (one for each ear, no more). So why should a headphone connector support 2.1?

Kees

Collapse -
Oh...
by gongy61 / December 8, 2012 3:34 AM PST
In reply to: Re: speakers

Oh, well that makes sense... Plain Is there any other way to hook the speakers to the tv that would support the subwoofer? Would a 3.5mm to RCA cord work?

Thanks

Collapse -
Re: subwoofer
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 8, 2012 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: Oh...

I'm afraid you need an amplifier in between. Find a shop like Radio Shack and ask for advice.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
How do you connect the sub to your computer?
by ..ben / December 13, 2012 4:16 AM PST

With respect, I don't believe Kees to be correct here, but I'll get to that later.

Back to the sub...How do you connect the sub to your laptop? Many of my friends have "2.1" computer speakers and the sub connects to the PC and the speakers connect to sub. Can you do this? Look for two "headphones"-sized jacks on your sub. You'll have to figure out which one is which. Mischief Plug the speakers into the "output", and then connect the sub to the TV via the "input" on the sub. I'd also suggest turning down the volume on the sub/speakers first before connecting anything, even if the "volume" is on one of the speakers itself (the sub has it's own volume, although it's downstream of the speaker/master volume).

Re: the headphones jack, it's completely analog, and so it has no idea what's being plugged into it, be it speakers, headphones, a dishwasher, whatever you can get to fit into that hole. Additionally, I've never met a TV that has a high-pass crossover applied to the headphones jack. Also, most "computer speaker" systems come with a powered sub; in fact I can think over very few passive subwoofers available, and none of them are sold as "computer speakers' (they're hundreds of dollars). I bet that it already has an amp, and if you can connect the sub to the tv (anyway you can: 3.5mm to 3.5mm, 3.5mm to RCA, whatever) it's gonna make sound.

Let me know.

Best,
Ben

Collapse -
Hmm
by gongy61 / January 15, 2013 10:49 AM PST

Sorry for the delayed response, I didn't think anyone would post after I got an "answer".

The sub has two inputs on it: one for the satellite speakers and another to a "control pod" that has a headphone jack, an "aux in" jack, and a volume control on it. Also there is a cord that leaves the sub and is plugged into an outlet for power.

The input on the sub for the satellite speakers is 3.5mm and the input on the sub for the control pod is an odd pin majigger (no idea what it's technical term is).

I tried plugging a male 3.5mm to female RCA cable (going from the "Aux In" port on the control pod to the tv), but I haven't been able to get any sound from it...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.