Phones forum

General discussion

Connecting cell phone to computer via usb data cable

by aonghas / March 31, 2005 3:02 PM PST

I have recently bought a Sharp GX15 cell phone and I also bought a USB data cable so I could tranfer data from pc to phone and vice versa. I installed the driver for the cell phone and the software, 'Handset Manager' but whenever I try and open handset manager, I get an error box from Windows that says "Handset Manager has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are soory for the inconvenience". So I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions on what to do, or any other cell phone to pc software that I could try out would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting cell phone to computer via usb data cable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting cell phone to computer via usb data cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Drivers updated?
by Marv99 / June 1, 2005 4:43 PM PDT

Might check for updated drives. At times in the past when I've gotten this type error it seems updating the vid drivers have always helped. Often when I saw little or no connection to why it'd cause it.

Other than that the program might be trying to do something that's denined by the way your permisions are set up. Things like that have gave me simular error messages with my CD burning softwear.

I see you are using XP. Unless you have it turned off XP should be asking you if you'd like to report this. In that case I'd use it. Often MS does give some insight into what caused it. Sometimes just looking at the logged data for the report can help.

If you have the above turned off it's beyond me to explaine how to turn it back on but I'm sure someone here can help.

Collapse -
Error Report
by aonghas / July 23, 2005 3:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Drivers updated?

Hey Marv99,
Thanks for your reply. I do that box that comes up with Send or don't send the error report. I was just wondering what sort of information this sends to Microsoft. Does it send any personal information or anything like that?

Where do I go to see how do I adjust the permissions?

Collapse -
what an error report sends to Microsoft
by Marv99 / July 28, 2005 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Error Report

There is a link when it asks you if you want to send an error report that gives MS policy on this. Assuming you trust what they say. I have no idea really. And that might depend on what you'd been working on right before the crash. Anything you were running before the crash might show up I think.

At any rate the with the "more info" button you can look at the actuall files it sends. Supposedly.
I tend to be paranoid enough to not keep personal stuff on this computor. And try to avoid doing illigal stuff. Those are probably the best ways to keep the personal info really personal. With the net like is personal stuff is getting more and more not personal.

On the permissions that's a pretty large question. Several of the popular spywear fighting programs can change permissions. As can windows firewall. Some that have kept me from writing to desk include but are not limited to ZoneAlarm, Spywear Blaster, SpyBot Search and Destroy, Adaware SE Personal, Windows firewalls. BTW those logs mentioned above should tell you possably if it was permisions. Although I don't recall if it was in English or not. Once even I think I had problems writing to disk caused by the way I'd set up Windows Media player. Something about the copewrite settings I think it was.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.