TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Connecting Blu ray player to non hdmi receiver

by erna8370 / November 27, 2008 8:58 AM PST

I just bought the panasonic bd-35 blu ray player to go with an older dolby digital/dts 5.1 Yamaha receiver that has a digital optical and a coaxial input but no hdmi inputs. Cnets review of the bd-35 says 'the DMP-BD35 has onboard decoding for all high-resolution soundtrack formats, including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, so you don't need a new receiver to take advantage of the improved audio quality.' Other websites say a digital optical cable can't send the trueHD/DTS-HD audio information. Which info is correct?

Will my non hdmi receiver with an optical cable be able to give me digital trueHD and DTS-HD sound quality or not? please help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting Blu ray player to non hdmi receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting Blu ray player to non hdmi receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I believe both info are correct from what I understand.
by ahtoi / November 27, 2008 5:24 PM PST

My guess is that one is referring to the optical connection from the tv to the receiver.

hey, give it the hearing test; hook it up and enjoy. True or not true doesn't matter. What you got is what you have.

Collapse -
optical / coaxial may not handle the signal
by dawulf / December 1, 2008 3:05 AM PST

I also hav ea non-HDMI Yamaha receiver. I have been doing some research on the same issue. I found a nice article explaining how the decoding and transferring works:

If you read far enough it says in a nutshell that : Toslink (Optical) or Coaxial SPDIF - SPDIF cannot carry a TrueHD signal. If using this connection type, the player will automatically revert to playing back the standard Dolby Digital AC-3 track instead.

I don't think it will sound bad, you will just not be hearing the HD Audio,

Collapse -
by jostenmeat / December 1, 2008 4:20 AM PST

when its saying onboard decoding, it probably means that this decoded info is still sent via hdmi.

there were indeed receivers made that could handle mch pcm via hdmi, but without onboard decoding.

just enjoy the improved video for now, and just use SPDIF. The video improvements completely blow away the audio ones, imo, and i got into this stuff for the audio...

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.