TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Connecting an old VCR to a new TV set

by Rockoak / December 20, 2010 1:11 PM PST

I have a new digital 21" HD ATSC tuner television in my 30' travel trailer, and I'd like to hook up my older (2005) VCR with built in NTSC analog tuner to it. The problem is that there is no cable or satellite signal for my TV in the location I'm at, only over the air broadcasts. The amplified rooftop antenna brings in at least 8 HD stations at very good picture quality (1080). Now I know that the VCR needs to be hooked to a converter box for channels 13 and under coming over the air: but how do I hook up the DTV converter box so that so I can record and playback (in 480)and when not using the VCR watch TV in HD. Will a separate line with splitter and bypass switch work without weakening the signal? Or how about splitting the signal from the antenna amplifier and running two lines? Do I need a second amplifier? Any good ideas would be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting an old VCR to a new TV set
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting an old VCR to a new TV set
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And I don't think there's anyway around it.
by ahtoi / December 20, 2010 3:41 PM PST

The problem with a convert box is that you cannot do "timer recording" because there is no way to change the channel automatically (timer). You might have to go with dvd recorder with a built-in tuner.

Collapse -
convert box and vcr
by Rockoak / December 20, 2010 10:13 PM PST

From reading Ahtoi's remark I can see that this situation is confusing. And I still think I should be able to set the Converter box to the channel I want; then set the VCR to channel 3, and then set the VCR timer for the program to be recorded. If this works I won't get any HD programs, only 480p on the TV if the signal goes through the VCR. And that's fine, but I also want to watch live TV in 1080p HD, and with this setup ie: antenna cable to converter box, cable to VCR, cable to TV, it just won't work. I need an alternate setup like running two cables?
But thanks for the input Ahtoi.

Collapse -
No, what I am saying...
by ahtoi / December 21, 2010 12:41 AM PST
In reply to: convert box and vcr

you could still record with the vcr but not like the usual way. The old way; you set the channels and time on the vcr program, and at the end of the day all that will be recorded for you. But now with the converter box, you do the channel changing with the box...and the box don't have timer built-in (at least all that I have seen don't have it). If you can get one one with a built-in timer then you are all set.

Collapse -
I see your point but...
by Rockoak / December 21, 2010 2:17 AM PST

Ya, thanks Ahtoi, I see your point but my problem is trying to get good HD 1080p picture on the TV, and that's my main concern. I already know that if a VCR with an analog tuner is set to channel 3, and the convert box is set to whatever channel I want to record, then it will record that program when the timer comes on. You don't need a timer on the box. But the VCR picture comes out at analog values of 480p. I still want to watch HD and record certain programs. I've also got a big library of VHS tapes that have never been converted to DVD.
Well, maybe someone else out there knows the correct hook up I need. I,m going up to the trailer next week so I'll have to do some experimental hook ups on it.

Collapse -
Oh I think I see where you are going with this;
by ahtoi / December 21, 2010 6:57 AM PST

will a splitter split the digital signal for you? I can't tell you for certain that it will work but you can certain try. I have Time Warner cable, and I do use a splitter and it works ok (but I have no idea what type of signal TWC is sending out to me though). I think it's both analog and digital. You might ask how's that possible? I don't know. All I know is that my vcr works ok with it, and the ATSC as well as QAM, on the TV, works ok with it (go figure!).

Collapse -
I went up and tried... not satisfied
by Rockoak / December 25, 2010 7:29 AM PST

Ya Ahtoi, but there's no cable in the trailer, only amplified rooftop antenna. Anyhow I went up to the trailer briefly and tried a good half dozen different types of hook-ups, and I was not satisfied with any of the reception. I guess analog and digital tuners don't mix too well with a converter box. I tried A B switches, splitters, you name it. The VCR played with white tracking lines running through the picture. When I removed all the junk and just ran an antenna cable to the TV I got beautiful HD reception. I drove home thinking of what to do with this situation, and I decided to bite the bullet and spend some cash. Easy fix. Why didn't I think of this before? So I went online and bought a reconditioned like new combo VCR DVD recorder from Overstock.com for only $168.00. It has a digital tuner. Anybody want to buy my old analog VCR.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.