Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Connecting a Wireless Router to a Switch

by Runescope / December 28, 2005 2:56 AM PST

Greets,

I'm in an office that has an 8-port switch already setup and functioning. My boss would like to have a wireless connection. Now my options seem to be: find a 8-port wireless router(not likely), connect a wireless router to the switch (which is what I'm trying right now), or convert most of the computers in the office to wireless(probably what I'll end up doing).

I should mention that all ports on the switch are used. As well, I would need the computers that use the wireless to not only connect to the internet (that's easy, got that already), but to also connect to the computers in the Office LAN. (REALLY need this, there are programs in use that connect to each other for sharing information, this is vital)

I think it will be easier to get a 5-port wireless router and connect most of the computers through it, and convert the rest to wireless, but if I could get away with connecting the wireless router to the switch and still be able to connect to the other computers in the office, that would be great.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting a Wireless Router to a Switch
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting a Wireless Router to a Switch
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Correct network setup
by Dbldamage / December 28, 2005 4:10 AM PST

Connecting the router into the switch is the way to go. The remaining user can be plugged into one of the router ports. Now you've got room to expand on the router or go with the wireless option.

I assume you are currently using windows ICS? Make sure you disable that after you get the router up and running.

Collapse -
Disable DHCP
by sunrise1 / December 28, 2005 4:11 AM PST

Hello:

Since you already have a wired router, it probably is already performing the DHCP function. Therefore, the new wireless router should be configured to disable its DHCP so it acts only like a wireless hub and does not try to assign IP addresses to the subnet. You may want to buy a wireless "access point" that does not have the router function.

An ethernet line from the wired router should be connected to one of the regular ports on the wireless "hub", but not the "WAN" or "Internet" input.

This was necessary in order for a D-Link DI-524 wireless router to operate with a 2Wire Home Portal 1070 DSL Modem.

Good Luck.

Collapse -
Wireless
by hztech / December 28, 2005 4:17 AM PST

Well it seems to me that you may end up converting the office to wireless sometime soon, but for the mean time all you have to do is get Any wireless router, hook it up to a computer wired and configure it to turn off the DHCP server, then add a WEP key (write it down) hook it essentially in line with another computer from the switch, and then configure your boss's computer to accept the router with the WEP key and you're in business. One of the ports on the switch would go to one of the router ports on the wireless router and then another cable would go from the wireless router to the computer that is normally part of the switch. The key step is to turn off the DHCP server. The WAN port on the router is not used in this instance. Hope that helps.

Collapse -
But how do I turn off DHCP
by heyara / August 21, 2011 12:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Wireless

Similar to runescope on the first message of this thread, I'm trying to hook up a new wireless router (D-Link Wireless N 150 Home Router) to a switch but I am having troubles.

I know that this isn't the best practices in the first place, but here's how I got to this place:

My landlord has dsl and has run an ethernet line from his (wireless) router to our back house since we don't have our own access to the internet (and the wireless signal is too low for a repeater to work well) -- this has been great for the few times that we ever need to use laptops to work at home. I even set up a switch so that we could work off of it
at the same time.

However, my husband is going to need surgery that will keep him at home about 8 weeks so I wanted to get wireless access for our house so he can use the laptops (toshiba sattelite and/or NB 305 -- small with no cd drives) from bed or the couch etc while he recuperates. I did a little research online and it looked like the easiest thing to do is get a wireless access point and plug it into the switch.

The guy at the store talked me into a cheaper router that he said could be easily configured into an access point, but I have been frustrated at every turn in trying to do this. It looks like from this thread that the key is to configure the router to turn off the DHCP server, but I can't set up the router (the set-up cd, which I copied to a thumb-drive, doesn't have a configuration to set up to a Switch -- I'm sure it's such a backward idea to some that no one ever considered that). But I also can't get to 192.168.1.1 to configure the router. The router is broadcasting a very strong signal that I can connect to, but I can't get on the internet.

Clearly I am not tech savvy so ANY help is so much appreciated!

Collapse -
Sadly I can't be specific.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2011 2:51 AM PDT

I look at this post twice and could not find the make and model of the router.

Since that's absent I suggest you ask the maker's support how to do this.
Bob

Collapse -
by rhoard / December 28, 2005 4:27 AM PST

Hello,

This post got a lot longer than I had expected originally.

I would suggest that you keep as many systems wired as possible. By adding a standard 4-port router, you effectively gain 2 ports. 4 port router + 8 port switch - 2 ports to connect the 2 devices. Also, 16+ port 10/100 switches are getting very affordable these days.

Depending on the amount and kind of traffic you have on your network, you may be better off getting a SOHO/Corporate router and a Wireless Access Point. Some consumer routers are not up to the job of a whole office.

Wired Ethernet is dependable and stable. Wireless is well, neither. At least not to the same degree. Wired Ethernet is a proven technology with very long track record. Wireless is nice to have for PDAs and laptops, but if you are sitting at a desk, the lower network speed can be a problem. Also the more load you have on a given wireless connection, the slower it will be for everyone sharing it.

Another thing to think about is the wireless standard to use. I would suggest going with a Router/Access Point that does both 802.11A & 802.11G. This will cover all current wireless standards. A has 8 clear channels in the 5GHz radio frequency range. G which will cover B as well, but only has 3 clear channels in the 2.4GHz range. The G radio frequencies are very crowded. I would suggest you use A for any desktops that must be wireless and leave G/B for mobile users. Please be aware that 802.11A does not have the object penetrating ability that 802.11G does. If you have heavy walls between the desktop system that needs to be wired and the AP/Router, A may not work as well for you.

Best regards,
RH

Collapse -
by RestlessMDK / January 24, 2012 12:37 AM PST

Hi Guys
I've been reading through the posts and I think I know what to do but just need some help in finding the correct piece of equipment.
Im looking to connect a wireless router or wireless access point to a 16 port netgear switch. It's just to get access to a wireless connection in the offce.
Iv'e been looking around and don't really know what to buy. Im not looking for something expensive, it's a small office. If you could give me a link on what to buy and where to get it I would be very greatful.
Thanks.

Collapse -
Pick the article YOU like from this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2012 12:44 AM PST
https://www.google.com/search?q=How+to+use+a+router+as+an+access+point
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.