Laptops forum

General discussion

Connecting a Lenovo Laptop to Sony LCD TV via Serial Ports

by rappinator / March 28, 2009 1:51 AM PDT

My Sony 40inch LCD TV has a serial port which is labeled PC in. I have connected the Laptop to the TV via a Serial Cable. How do I set up the TV and the Laptop to watch video on the TV instead of the Laptop monitor. I am running Windows XP Professional on the Laptop.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting a Lenovo Laptop to Sony LCD TV via Serial Ports
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting a Lenovo Laptop to Sony LCD TV via Serial Ports
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Would that laptop port have 3 rows of pins?

If so, it's actually a video out port. You should have Function key and an F key combination that switches to use that port. These usually have blue icons that resemble an PC screen. Look at F-7, 8, and 9 and one of these plus the function key in lower left might do it.

Collapse -
addendum
by Steven Haninger / March 29, 2009 7:49 AM PDT

You may have to find an input select option on the TV. You'll have to find the TV's instructions for that one. You can test the laptop output by plugging the cable into a desktop PC's monitor to make sure it's outputting to the desired port.

Collapse -
it's not a serial port
by zipityzap / March 30, 2009 9:36 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.