Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

connecting a laptop to dial up WITHOUT networking to desktop

by lynbot / September 22, 2008 11:30 PM PDT

I have a refurbished laptop that I want to connect to my dial-up connection (no high speed available here yet). I do NOT need a network to my desktop pc. I just want to be able to access my email and internet when I'm downstairs (desktop upstairs). If it matters, I use Earthlink dial up, desktop is using Windows Home Vista Premium and the laptop has Windows XP installed. I tried to set up a connection but used the network wizard - this is not working, BUT I don't need a network. The 2 computers will NEVER be used at the same time and I don't need to share folders, etc. I just want to establish a separate internet connection to my dial up account. Please help! I need to get this set up before next week...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: connecting a laptop to dial up WITHOUT networking to desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: connecting a laptop to dial up WITHOUT networking to desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Whagt OS does this laptop have.
by Kees Bakker / September 22, 2008 11:33 PM PDT

Detailed instruction vary.

Collapse -
laptop OS
by lynbot / September 23, 2008 5:41 AM PDT

The laptop has Windows XP. I'm not a computer whiz (obviously) so if you need more info, let me know. I called Earthlink and they gave me the network wizard routine. Their "techs" are outsourced so I was having a hard time explaining the "no network" thing. Help....

Collapse -
I just want to establish a separate internet connection to m
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2008 11:57 PM PDT

"I just want to establish a separate internet connection to my dial up account. "

Your dial up provider should have these instructions. Since AOL dial differs from Netwin and so on, no one can tell you what to do but that provider. You are right that the network wizard is the wrong tool.

Collapse -
no network laptop connection
by lynbot / September 23, 2008 5:46 AM PDT

I tried to contact Earthlink - they are outsourced and had me going thru the network wizard - they weren't getting that I didn't need the 2 computers at the same time. So if you have any suggestions at all - I'd appreciate it. There's got to be a way, probably simple once I know how (wishful thinking?).

Collapse -
Earthlink has "TotalAccess" software.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2008 6:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
without network
by lynbot / September 23, 2008 12:27 PM PDT

That's what I did - exactly what that link shows. But when I clicked on the shortcut and it tried to dial, it said no network connection. That's why I thought I did something wrong and why I maybe shouldn't use the connection wizard. Why does it say no NETWORK connection when I don't want a network? Is there more than one meaning for network? I was connected to my phone line and got a dial tone so I know I had a connection to the phone. There's only one spot on the IBM laptop to put a phone line so I know I had THAT right. Thank you all for your input - any other ideas will be welcome! Reminder: I already have Earthlink dial up on my desk top PC upstairs - I just don't want to share the connection - only one computer would be in use at a time.

Collapse -
Sounds very close.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2008 12:34 PM PDT
In reply to: without network

"it tried to dial, it said no network connection."

That's what all dialup software used to say. Don't let the ethernet network confuse us here. KEEP CHECKING any and all settings in their software such as the dial up number.

Collapse -
Manually set up a dial up connection to earthlink
by tigerkitty2 / October 12, 2008 1:07 AM PDT

To set up a connection manually is a few simple steps.
first verify there is a modem installed on your laptop that you wish to use dial-up networking on.
right click my computer, select properties.
on the top of the pop up window you'll see tabs, tab to hardware.
now click the device manager button.
you'll see your computers components listed, look for one marked modem and click the little plus sign to the left of it.
if there is no modem, stop here as you can't set up a dial up connection without a modem.
if there is a modem, and there's no highlights like a yellow exclamation point, or a circle with a line though it, we'll assume your modem is working correctly.
close the windows you have open.
now click start, and control panel.
If your control panel is set to show category view, on the left click switch to classic view.
when in classic view, click network connections.
in the network connections pop up, on the left click create a new connection. the new connection wizard will pop up.
click next.
put a check in the create a new connection box and click next.
put a check in the set up my connection manually box, and click next
put a check in the connect using a dial-up modem box and click next.
now give your dial up connection a name, it's not really important, so name it anything you like.
next you'll need to give it a number to dial, this is very important.
go here to get your number
after entering your dial-up access phone number, click next
now enter your earthlink username, and password, the password will have to be intered twice.
uncheck the two boxes below, one is to make this connection default, and one is to use this username and password anytime anyone connects to the internet on this computer.
click next.
you have now manually set up a dial up network connection.
you have the option of creating a link to your desktop if you wish.
there is also a connect to dialog on your start menu
click finish and you're done.

Collapse -
by lynbot / October 12, 2008 5:02 PM PDT

Thanks - I have a connection which I got right before I left on my trip. I am embarrased to give the reason why it wasn't working but if it saves someone else the same mistake: First, the info just given IS the correct way to connect. Why I was having problems was I was using a phone line that was not commected to the jack. I have satellite tv snd the cords run to the phone, tv and a splitter. I unhooked one and hooked it to the laptop - finally realizing it wasn't the one connected to the actual phone jack (DUH!) So once I corrected that I followed the new connection wizard (Windows) instructions and it worked. Thank you all for helping me - I feel like a dope but if it happened to me.... Be sure if you have a lot of phone cords, you choose the "live" one to connect! Problem solved :-D

Collapse -
good idea
by sandyv55 / November 30, 2008 10:09 AM PST

Hi, this helped me too except one thing will the laptop need to be connected to the phone line first just as the desktop is? Or can this be done with no wires? Thx u p.s. i am trying to get my mom's laptop i got her hooked up and they are in a rural area and dial up is it. thxs again

Collapse -
Accessing the net downstairs.
by rdclmn7 / January 15, 2009 9:34 AM PST

You only need a phone line and a y-connector that reaches where you want to connect.
Then it's a matter of installing your ISP software.

Collapse -
dial up connection
by nixonau / January 23, 2009 3:46 AM PST

If your ISP(earthlink) does'nt require proprietary connection software, I would do away with the whole phone line to the laptop thing, and wifi it to your desktop dial up connection and share the connection with windows ICS. This is Way easier, allows you to rome around with your laptop and does'nt limit you to just one computer at a time.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.