Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Connecting a laptop to a DVD recorder

by bry1545 / July 19, 2005 9:49 PM PDT

Hi.
I have a VAIO Sony latop with a few home movies on it that I want to copy to DVD using my Panasonic DVD recorder that is presently connected to the TV.
Being new to this I have no idea how to connect the two together...
Can someone help??

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting a laptop to a DVD recorder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting a laptop to a DVD recorder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The usual solution.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2005 10:38 PM PDT

Get a nice external DVD RECORDER meant for connection to the laptop's USB 2.0 or Firewire connection and then use the bundled software to create a DVD that will play in your common DVD player you connect to the TV.

Bob

Collapse -
movies from a cpu harddrive to a DVD recorder.
by jack casey / July 22, 2005 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: The usual solution.

I have a P4, 2.0 ghz, Windows XP, with an ATI wonder card. I have 2 Panasonic DVD Recorders. I also have a number of 2 year old data discs with movies on them (I couldn't figure out how to finalize the discs using sionic my dvd. If I copy the discs to my harddrive (via the ATI card).How do I transfer the movies to a dvd recorder. My ATI card has only an audio output , my cpu has 2 usb outputs and a 3 firewire input card. Can I go from a USB out to an S-video in on my DVD recorder. Better still, how do I finalize the +R dvd data discs that I made with the bundled software I got with my HP 200i dvd burner, that I made them on. I'm 62 and my learning curve is almost flat. Also is there a program out there called Stomp, that allows you to reuse a dvd that won't record, because a software program spit it out abter writing the table of contents. Regards Jack.

Collapse -
how do I finalize the +R dvd data discs that I made with the
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2005 9:25 AM PDT

"how do I finalize the +R dvd data discs that I made with the bundled software I got with my HP 200i dvd burner, that I made them on"

One of the odd things you can research is that DVD+R doesn't require a finalize step.

Bob

Collapse -
DVD........+R
by jack casey / July 22, 2005 1:02 PM PDT

Thank you for reply. I tried both a +R and a +RW with 4 hours video on my DVD recorder-- both are U11--not supported. Itried them on my DVD player (Panasonic -R,-RW-----both were unsupported. I put them in my LG burner--- no media was found and power DVD and windows media player wouldn't play them. I tried them in my new Centrious +R, +RW recorder. It shifted to SMARTNAVI with an empty file folder and froze. But I did get it to play . In that 4 year old 200i HP Burner in my other P4 CPU that burnt the disk, on Windows media player But that burner will not last forever. My new Centrious does have a finalization setting. And they don't work if they are not finalized. My Pioneer AO105 burner (DVD-R) didn't recognize it either. Don't feel bad, I've been looking at this for a long time. I thought I could sneek it in the back door, by finalizing it on the Centrious (+R, +RW) but it goes right into smartnavi (whatever that is) Regards Jack

Collapse -
DVD is Digital
by batonrougeenglish / July 23, 2005 2:04 PM PDT
In reply to: DVD........+R

This is very unusual that a DVD would need to be finalized?

I have never heard nor read of that. You can teach us all some new info.

Thanks for the info.

Collapse -
DVD+R & DVD+RW Differences:
by Refrax / July 24, 2012 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD is Digital

I own a Magnavox dvd player/recorder combo. I'ts my understanding that only the DVD+RW discs need to be finalized. I have made many movies this way, & ALL of them (DVD+RW) needed finalization.

Collapse -
I have a Philips DVR+DVD recorder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2012 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD is Digital

If I don't finalize any DVD media (includes +R, +R/W and the minus types) the media does not play on other players until I do that final step.

-> You make a good case this is not consumer friendly. i.e. "fiddly."

Collapse -
Finalizing +R
by Marv99 / September 2, 2005 4:27 PM PDT

Interesting and good to know. However sometimes +Rs recorded on my Centrious won't play on my Sony desktop till they are returned to the recorder and finallized. Not sure if it's the HP Burner I put in my desktop or some of the softwear.

Then again I think it's something with the Centrious the first one locked up then wouldn't power back on. I suppose that's what I get for using a no name unit. All in all it works well though.

For new Centrious Users I highly recomend plugging it into a switchable source. Then if it locks up turn the AC to it off for a while. Service desk said an hour to reset it. This seems to work and I haven't burnt this one yet. BTW it was a rental disk with visable, but not so you could feel it with fingers, damage to the intermost ring of the disk.

Collapse -
Above recorder used to go the other direction
by Marv99 / September 2, 2005 4:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Finalizing +R

I use the Centrious like a VCR mostly with DVD+RWs these absolutly don't need to be finalized. Also use it to get my old analog home movies into the Sony so I can edit and make better DVDs to my heart's content.

Collapse -
home dvd recorder
by maccman / October 15, 2005 11:36 AM PDT

Did you solve this? my dvd recorder has a firewire DV in port but i can't get a signal when connected to my apple powerbook?
are there any out there that do it?
thanks
Dave

Collapse -
Use the connectors you have
by sirsmall / July 22, 2005 3:08 AM PDT

Many laptops have S-Video connectors for video output (some have ''mini-S-Video connectors which require an adaptor for the regular 5-wire S-Video round cable), and most DVD recorders meant for recording television programs have S-Video connectors for input and output. You should be able to use your television as a monitor during this operation.

If you do have such connectors, then you need to connect an S-Video cable between the S-Video output of the laptop and an S-Video input of the DVD recorder. Set your video output on the laptap to external S-video (you can use your ''FN'' key with the proper "F" key to switch among outputs or use the Display app in the Control Panel to direct the video output) and make sure the DVD recorder is set to get input from that S-Video channel. Then play your home videos in a full-screen mode using Windows Media Player or whatever other video player you have on the laptop and record your DVD as you would any other video.

Alternatively, does the laptop have a CD recorder built-in? If so, you could record a VCD (video compact disc) on the laptop which can be played by many DVD players.

Just curious: how did you get the home movies on the laptop in the first place?

Collapse -
Oops, I forgot audio
by sirsmall / July 25, 2005 12:01 AM PDT

You will also need a cable from an 1/8" plug to a pair of RCA-type connectors for the audio. If your computer has a line-out jack, use that; otherwise use the headphone jack. Connect the RCA-type connectors to the same input source as the video--with the red connector to the red input and the other (either white or black) to the other audio input. You will need to adjust the audio to get the correct level on your DVD.

Collapse -
Laptop to DVD Recorder
by sapwiz / September 1, 2005 2:31 PM PDT

I also have the same issue (I have a HP NC6000 Notebook) and it has an S-Video Port in the back and a Headphone Mini-Plug Output on the side with a CD Recorder/DVD Player Combo. I tried connecting the S-Video to the Panasonic DVD Recorders S-Video Input and also have the recorder connected to the TV Input (via Yello/Red/White Video/Audio cable). I also have a Monster mini-plug from the HP NC6000 Audio output which has Left/Right RCA plugs on the other end of the cable connected to the Audio input of the DVD recorder.

However, I'm not sure how to switch the notebook so when I run an Mpg video using Windows Media Player it will send the signal to the DVD recorder and subsequently to the TV. Any ideas? I've tried the F-Key (like when I do for a powerpoint presentation), but it does not seem to send the signal to the DVD Recorder and then the TV.

Help
JR

Collapse -
laptop to DVD recorder
by Qiyuanzhang / April 21, 2006 11:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop to DVD Recorder

I had the same problem. Spent an hour with tech support on the phone. Turns out (to my suprise)that your laptop uses the s-video cable to recognize the monitor. Since it cannot recognize your DVD recorder as a monitor, it does not allow you to send out the signal. I am currently checking to see if there are drivers that will allow the laptop to recognize DVD recorders. So far... no luck. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
laptop to DVD
by wily_nelson / September 7, 2007 4:31 PM PDT
In reply to: laptop to DVD recorder

I am just about to buy DVD recorder for just that purpose - I have .avi .bin .mpg videos that I want to convert and burn externally. To see these at present I connect my laptop to the composite inputs on the TV and set the TV as a secondary monitor in Display Properties -> Settings. No problems. Perhaps to record on the stand alone set, I can use the TV out RCA's to the recorder??

Collapse -
laptop to DVD recorder
by Shoe_Shine_Roy / October 30, 2008 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: laptop to DVD recorder

although this was posted long ago i wondered if there was ever any driver to download or if the first solution was the only possibility for downloading since the computer s-video does not recognize the dvd recorder. also was there a way to use the TV as a monitor and record what is playing on the tv the way old vhs tapes could be copied in a vcr.

Collapse -
dvd player screws up s-video connection betw laptop and tv
by nhow / October 18, 2009 4:47 AM PDT

I used to be able to watch streaming video (on laptop) on my tv via an s-video cable. Now, since getting a Samsung SH875 recorder/player the connection doesn't work any more. There's no s-video input on the dvd recorder so I can't just connect the laptop through it to the tv. Only way to reestablish the connection between laptop and tv is to disconnect the dvd recorder (turning it off doesn't work). Any suggestions? Hope this is understandable.

Thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.