Samsung forum

General discussion

Connected TV Widgets

by dcanora / June 28, 2009 1:27 AM PDT

Hi! I was wondering what the process and timeline are for deploying new TV Widgets on Samsung televisions (such as my LN40B650)? Will Samsung eventually make all widgets available? Is it a pick-and-choose by Samsung thing? Is it a licensing thing with the widget authors? Just wondering...

For example, I see at the Yahoo website (http://connectedtv.yahoo.com/services/tv-widgets) that a Netflix widget now available. Will we see it on the Samsung anytime soon?

Also... BIG, HUGE wishlist item: Please add Pandora Radio!!!

BTW, love the television Happy

Thank you-
-d.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connected TV Widgets
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connected TV Widgets
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Connected TV Widgets
by Samsung_CE_Tech Samsung staff / June 29, 2009 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Connected TV Widgets

dcanora,

I am extremely happy you love your new TV. As far as widget development goes, the reason you are not seeing more widgets yet is mainly due to licensing issues. There can be a netflix widget from yahoo, but if netflix isn't licensed to be viewed directly on a Samsung TV, then we can't add that widget to our library. But don't worry, we have plans to release all new widgets pretty soon.

- CE_Tech

Collapse -
Connected TV Widgets
by thatguyb / July 7, 2009 5:00 AM PDT

Any word on when and which widgets are going to be available? I'm looking at replacing our DLP with a new flat panel and was just noticing the eBay, Showtime and other widgets on Yahoo that weren't available on the Samsung yet. I've read the news releases where CBS and Showtime are planned for the initial Vizio lines in October, but I like the Samsungs better.

Collapse -
Connected TV Widgets
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 7, 2009 7:01 PM PDT

thatguyb,

I don't have a list of widgets that are planned. I tried to coerce a "hint" out of our partnership team, and until it's formally announced, even I don't know the progress of participating widget developers. I can't even speculate at this point.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Creating your own samsung widgets
by davidcrosby1 / July 17, 2009 7:38 AM PDT

I have a query over creating your own widgets for the TV, the samsung tv indicates that you can access a developer category of widgets and gives you a code to use on the yahoo web site connectedtv.yahoo.com , but it is not obvious how to get access or use the code. I signed up to receive information for the widgets, as yet I have had no obvious reply and it seems to be geared to a company, as opposed to an individual. Can you tell me how you can create your own widgets for the TV ? and where do you go to obtain the information and upload ? or have I misunderstood what you can do ?

David

Collapse -
Creation of own widget
by and7ey / April 17, 2010 2:31 AM PDT

I have the same question - is there any manual available to create own widget?

Collapse -
Creating Your Own Widget
by jfam5 / May 18, 2010 4:39 AM PDT

I've sent an e-mail to the Samsung Widget support team regarding. They have replied in the past, althought with absolutely nothing useful or helpful. I too signed up for the Yahoo Widget Development kit and got the 4 digit code. However, from what I read in their documentation, you have to install and develop on Linux (which I don't have or desire to get). Also, it's all coded in java and javascript. I dont' see why they just don't offer a wizard so you can create your own. Oh, that's right, why would they want to ENABLE the user? I also sent an e-mail asking if I could buy a widget. Something to show for what I paid for this TV!

Collapse -
widgets development
by and7ey / May 18, 2010 5:01 AM PDT

You don't need to install linux really - you may use vmware player with linux image. Development of widgets is quite simple (even without any wizard), usage of javascript provides us with much more flexibility. All docs are available there - http://developer.yahoo.com/connectedtv/.

Collapse -
Widget Development
by jfam5 / May 18, 2010 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: widgets development

I guess I need to devote a little time to it. Curious why developers aren't creating widgets that folks can pay them for or share and load on their TVs with the development code? Sort of like testing it for them.

Collapse -
which developers?
by and7ey / May 18, 2010 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Widget Development

Do you expect that from yahoo developers?
Or some other developers? There is no much sense for others to develop it - especially, if they don't need it. There is no any good way to sell it. And once you've uploaded your widget, you have to wait once it is approved by Yahoo first and then by Samsung. After that it becomes available for ALL.

What kind of widget you are looking for?

Collapse -
Developer Widgets
by jfam5 / May 18, 2010 6:00 AM PDT
In reply to: which developers?

I ran across a link for a mapstv widget. A guy had developed it and was looking for testers. Users were supplying him with their YahooID and Developer code and he would add them to his test list. The widget would show on their TV as if they were testing it. That's kind of the scenario I was thinking about to get around the whole Yahoo/Samsung formality. Or if a developer made the widget code available so I could upload it to my test area and then to my TV.

Here are the widgets that I'd like to see.
1) One that would link to my Hulu queue so I could watch Hulu on my TV
2) Netflix
3) An RSS type widget that I could link to my Phanfare.com rss feed and see the photos and short videos that I have online. No password or username is required.
4) Some sort of streaming news video widget from a major network like CNN, Fox, NBC, CBS, etc.
5) Google earth wouldn't be bad either.

Collapse -
widgets
by and7ey / May 18, 2010 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Developer Widgets

OK, the approach you've described will work.

Now you need to find developers Wink Unfortunately, I am not interested in the widgets you are looking for. Moreover, officially Yahoo widgets are not supported for my country.

Collapse -
seriously failing to understand how this could be
by thisisdom / June 29, 2010 9:30 AM PDT

All of the Samsung blu ray players have had Netflix all along. Now I want to upgrade to a newer system that has blu ray integrated into the surround system and can handle 3D, only to find that Samsung migrated to a widget platform and FAILED to secure Netflix day 1?!? Netflix is #1. Pandora is #2. Blockbuster's payment model is inferior to Netflix. This is a major oversight.

Dom

Collapse -
Widget Desires
by rlopin / June 28, 2010 2:43 PM PDT

Samsung widgets are awesome. Our family loves the Amazon Video On Demand, Blockbuster and YouTube widgets especially. Here are my top widget requests:

- Widgets that take advantage of my huge 57" TV screen! Seems so silly to scroll through 6 pages of video thumbnails when the right 3/4 of my TV screen real estate is completely unused.
- Search videos across widgets that offer movie rentals. It's crazy that I have to first search Blockbuster, then Amazon, then go to my laptop (attached to HDMI on TV) and search NetFlix. By the time I find a movie the kids have all lost their patience and gone upstairs to the cablebox connected TV. Perhaps Google will provide a widget to provide this functionality (although it would compete with their recently announced GoogleTV, so maybe not)
- Search/Filter Movies by MPAA and TV ratings, not just genre. The kids/family category for example is too babyish for my kids. Why can't I just say show me all sci-fi movies rated PG or PG-13?
- Put a keyboard on the back of the remote so I don't have to go through the painful on-screen keyboard. Or just add bluetooth so I can use my own bluetooth keyboard.
- WiFi support -- because not everyone has an Ethernet jack near their TV
- A NetFlix widget (get a licensing deal closed!)
- A Hulu Widget

Keep innovating Samsung. Widgets are starting to eliminate the need for connecting a laptop to the TV (but not quite yet).

Collapse -
yes very good
by sheriffdude / October 23, 2010 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Widget Desires

you must be in the usa as in uk we dont have most of the widgets you speak of and yes blue tooth for a keyboard i can not be leave they dont have a compatible keyboard give me a job samsung as the people you have hired are not doing there job /
the painful on-screen keyboard yes why would we when most people have a laptops

Collapse -
samsung tv widgets
by sheriffdude / October 23, 2010 3:00 AM PDT

come on samsung pull your finger out if you cant give us the widgets that i was told you would yes that was there will be 80 widgets by 2009 now we are lucky if we have 18 and most are really bad and can we have have a compatible keyboard how hard can that be to do my remote i had over ten years ago for skyb opened up into a small keyboard i mean why would i want to use twitter and have to scroll to ever letter when i could do it in 2 secs on a laptop its just not going to happen thank god the tv has the best picture i have had on any tv love it but as far as widgets go Samsung has failed to keep its promise

Collapse -
Very Distressing
by JohnnyL / July 4, 2011 1:56 PM PDT

Here it is July 2011. I've owned my 2009 model PN50B650S plasma for a year and a half. Finally upgraded to cable internet vs DSL and now have a fast enough speed to make Netflix on the TV possible only to find out in the time I've owned my TV there has been absolutely no progress in getting a yahoo widget to access Netflix. Very ridiculous when you consider that the 2010 models that use Samsung apps have a Netflix app. I know I can buy a BlueRay player with Netflix access but why not be able to access direct from TV. Don;t give me the usual BS that its some sort of licensing deal. Accessing via a BD player or the TV is the exact same thing...its accessing via a internet connected device. My guess is Samsung wants to charge for the app and there is no way to charge for Widgets or its some kind of deal with Blockbuster and Amazon. There are no widgets that are at all useful . Without Netflix the idea of using the TV to access the internet is dead on arrival at my house. I do know one thing though....in the future if I access Netflix through a device it will not be a Samsung device. I will either get another brand BD player or connect through a small HTPC. Sign me....one very pissed off Samsung customer.

Collapse -
Odd idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2011 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Very Distressing

Since the app is from Yahoo why didn't you get p.o.d. at Yahoo for not issuing that?

Collapse -
Not that Odd at all
by JohnnyL / August 30, 2011 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Odd idea.

If its a licensing issue for Samsung TV's then it it's not Yahoo's issue. Just try finding out the issue why Sammie BD players have Netflix but TV's do not, but LG (or is it Vizio) TV's do. Very difficult to find out any info. Also, why do Samsung 2010and later models use an entirely different widget library and not yahoo. They use the Sammie Smart Aps.
Like anything that is Yahoo related, I expect yahoo support to slowly dwindle and die out altogether.

Collapse -
Read the Ambassador's replies.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2011 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Not that Odd at all

There's a lot of FUD out there. No need to perpetuate it.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.