Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Connected to Wireless Network but "No Internet Access"

by learnold21 / February 4, 2011 9:12 AM PST

First, I know that the answer to my problem is guaranteed to be in another forum here somewhere but I just can't follow some of the technical lingo or figure out which fix I need, sorry.

Here's the issue: We recently set up a new wireless network with a new router and modem. We have three laptops connected to it. We have all been connected to and able to use the internet at some point. Every so often though, usually after the computer has been asleep or shut down then restarted, the wireless network connects but says "no internet access" and pages can't be loaded. This has happened to our new HP Pavilion dm4 (Windows 7), and new MacBook Pro (OS X Snow Leopard) but not our old Dell Latitude D610 (XP) but we haven't used it very often. Usually if we disconnect from the network (on the laptop) and then reconnect, the connection is reset and works again. This problem happens way too often though and this last time it took almost an hour before the HP could reconnect. I tested the HP and it passed the Ping test (if that helps). We are using a Netgear WGR614v9 router and a Gateway SMC8014 Broadband Modem. We are using WPA Personal security and all laptops have the correct password. There is full signal strength. In the past, we have had a Linksys wireless router and a Gateway wireless modem/router and never had a problem like this. Reading about other similar problems, I wonder if this is a common issue with Netgear routers. Please let me know what the problem most likely is and how I can fix it. If you need more information, just ask! Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connected to Wireless Network but "No Internet Access"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connected to Wireless Network but "No Internet Access"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Given only that much detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2011 9:20 AM PST

Sounds like the old winsock reset (see google) or an expired Norton issue.

Tell more.
Bob

Collapse -
What info would help?
by learnold21 / February 4, 2011 9:47 AM PST

I looked up winsock reset and that seems like a Windows, specifically Vista, issue and fix but my problem happens on a MacBook Pro as well. As for Norton, the Windows computers have current Norton subscriptions and the Mac has never even had a Norton trial on it so I don't think that's it. I read a bunch of posts about similar problems and many of them center around communication issues between the router and computers dealing with IP address and DSN problems. Those fixes may fit my issue but I became lost in the technical lingo and I don't know how to find or interpret the right information to determine the problem. What additional information would be useful? I have a very surface knowledge of internet connection so I don't know what other information is relevant to tell you. If there is system info or a test i could give you the results from, please just let me know what it is. Thanks.

Collapse -
Just back, can I ask?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2011 10:41 AM PST
In reply to: What info would help?
http://www.smc.com/files/AA/DS_SMC8014-BIZ.pdf shows this cable has a router.

Since the 614 is also a router how did you deal with double nat issues?

About post 18 or 19 in the CNET Networking Forum in that forum's sticky we describe how to use your 614 as a WAP.

Knowing how you setup your 614 router to deal with double NAT or as a WAP should help.
Bob
Collapse -
I think you found the problem
by learnold21 / February 4, 2011 2:45 PM PST
In reply to: Just back, can I ask?

I think you hit the nail on the head. I had started wondering myself if the two routers could work together. It is currently using double NAT. I read up on double NAT and some fixes. The problem now is that I don't know how to access the Netgear router settings needed for most fixes. Using the IP address gets me the Gateway router settings which I can access and change but the IP address on the WAN port doesn't work in the address bar nor was I able to use Netgear's www.routerlogin.com to access it. Can I just change settings on the modem/router that will fix the problem? For example, under LAN settings, I can disable "DCHP Server". Under NAT settings, I can set up port forwarding. Under Firewall settings, I can enable a DMZ host.
OR do you know a way I can access the Netgear wireless router settings? It could be that I don't know how to find the correct IP address for the Netgear router though I've tried many different processed that I found online. Since the modem and router were given to us by the people that furnished our apartment, I do not have the software for either one installed on any of the computers but I could try downloading it from the net if that would help. Thanks again.

Collapse -
That's why we have the setup in the sticky post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2011 5:41 AM PST
Collapse -
Works
by mr_dasari / March 26, 2011 7:21 AM PDT

This worked for me. Try turning off your anti virus firewall and see if it works. If it does, then turn it back on and click on your anti virus restore defaults.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.