Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Connected,but not receiving packets???

by srnelsen / May 19, 2005 3:06 AM PDT

I lost my internet connection a couple days ago inexplicably. I'm connected on a LAN cable to a wireless router. D-Link is the brand, I belive. It in turn is connected to a cable modem. Both devices appear to working properly, and have been reset. My computer says it is connected and sends packets, but it won't receive any. My system is a 1.3 ghz Athlon, 384mb ram, Compaq ethernet adapter. I'm totally stumped, any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connected,but not receiving packets???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connected,but not receiving packets???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Me, too. Same problem.
by kaneharris / June 19, 2005 8:11 AM PDT

HP zt1130 laptop, netopia 802.11b card, network everywhere wireless & ethernet router, westell dsl modem on bellsouth.net, two desktops connected, 1 via ethernet, 1 wireless, both work perfectly, and have for over a year, and this netopia card worked perfectly in my old Windows 98 laptop. Also, networking & internet works on this HP laptop through the ethernet cable. Packets will send and send and send through the wireless connection but never receive any (always 0). Ran a program called WinsockFix and my ip address in ipconfig went from 0.0.0.0 to some real sounding address. Please help. Have had the same problem with two known good wireless cards on this laptop. Thanks.

Collapse -
Connected, but not receiving packets either
by ilisin2korn / June 20, 2005 1:22 AM PDT

i am connected through a simple cable modem and it just up and stoped working. Right out of the blue. everything was fine and nothing was changed. the device says connected but i have no access to the internet or to aol instant messenger. the receiving packets are low and maybe 1 is received every 5 or 10 minutes. is there anyone out there who can help me.....???????

Collapse -
Solved my Problem
by SAPLinkin / August 27, 2005 5:04 AM PDT

Hi Guys,
I had a similar problem.I am using a dell Laptop and was able to connect to the internet using my wireless connection and also connect to the Netgear router via wire.However one fine day the I wasn't able to receive any packets when I was connected to the wired connection.after some reading about tech jargons and commands I finally accidentally solved the problem simply myself.In Window XP I went to Show all connections->right clicked on my LA connection->properties->Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties
and selected the checkbox Obtain IP address automatically. And Wow the computer started receiving packets the moment I saved the setting..

Please try this out and Since I am not aware if there can be any damaging implications of my settings, Please tell me if that is fine.

Collapse -
Thank you it worked!
by usajess / January 13, 2006 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: Solved my Problem

Thank you to the person who posted the reply about receiving packets. I have been bewildered by this for the last 3 months, and had not been able to use my wireless internet. Your solution worked. I have Windows XP and a Dell Laptop. The only thing I had to do a little differently, was this: I opened "Show all connections" which was under the "Connect to" menu on the start menu screen. I right clicked onto my wireless network icon, clicked on properties, under the general tab. I then had to scroll down in the box with all the different items that the connection uses. In that box there was an icon for Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). I double clicked that icon, and clicked Obtain an IP address automatically, and it worked!
thanks.

Collapse -
My internet is not working... but i can see it's connected.
by pujashin / May 16, 2008 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you it worked!

Hi as you said before...
Will right this configuration in detalis pls?
Im not a software girl..

Thanks

Collapse -
computer shutting down
by Sainiana / March 24, 2009 5:32 PM PDT

I've got a computer that keeps shutting down. What may be the problem???

Collapse -
hi dude
by Neerajbaraiud016 / December 7, 2011 2:40 PM PST
In reply to: computer shutting down

here is the solution
open your cpu,then open the fan which is on the processor
and put "Heat sink paste" on the processor .
it will work ..try it ..the paste helps the processor to be cooled always
your processor get hot that is the reason it get shut down always
paste is easily aval in the mkt.

Collapse -
hey
by twichy2000 / May 30, 2011 6:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you it worked!

i did it and nothing happened.....

Collapse -
You are a great god
by Romsa75 / May 9, 2006 10:40 AM PDT

yes, this solved my problem too, thank you

Collapse -
WOW man thanks
by aussie7us / March 7, 2007 11:06 AM PST

that works perfectly
i have a toshiba laptop m35 X special edition
i used LAN at skool today and ever since i got home...my wifi stopped working!
that was cool though
it works after i adjust TCP/IP properties
thx

Collapse -
Thanks alot
by p_55 / November 15, 2007 7:26 AM PST

hi, ur solution solved my problem partially.. but after setting detect DNs automatically.. it resolved fully.. many thanks once again.. it worked perfectly for me..

Collapse -
connected but not receiving
by ctichivangani / April 21, 2008 9:37 PM PDT

guys i have checked your help and its not working, after i have changed the TCP/IP properpties to automatically assign the IP address

the machine still wont receive anything.

ps there are 3 computers on a network of about 400computers behaving like this

Collapse -
Packets
by sheen215 / November 9, 2008 3:43 AM PST

This worked wonderfully. Thanks

Collapse -
Problem Solved
by Sanbrisas / January 6, 2010 11:49 PM PST

Thanks a million SAPLinkin. Almost 5 years later, your "accidental" discovery is still working. Solved my problem pronto.

Collapse -
Thanks! Worked!
by amy.z / July 16, 2010 7:52 AM PDT

Thank you. I forgot that I used static isp for the sake of port forwarding and downloading and sharing torrents.

Collapse -
Thanks! Worked!
by dmesoj / August 31, 2010 9:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks! Worked!

Thank you. Worked for me too.

Collapse -
You are a legend
by Spope0 / September 15, 2010 7:34 PM PDT

Thankyou! Finally can get back to work after a **** day trying to sort this out

Collapse -
Your Solution Worked!!
by nbrea / October 18, 2010 11:54 AM PDT

Thank you so much!

Collapse -
thanks a lot dear
by ramhanu / December 5, 2011 10:55 PM PST

thanks dear ur article help me a lot . now i got connected.

Collapse -
Still not connecting
by ES*ROC / September 4, 2006 5:36 AM PDT

I tried that but I'm still connected and sending packets but I do not receive very many packets maybe 1 for every 100 packets I send out. (HELP)

Collapse -
Connected but not receiving packets
by ray_c_yuen / January 4, 2007 10:45 AM PST

I've had the same problem intermittently since I bought my D Link wireless router DI-524 and wireless network card DWL-G510. I wish I spent the extra few dollars on a better, faster, stronger performer. My son's computer was showing connected with a good to sometimes very good signal strength. The network connections window would show 'sent' 780 packets but only received 'one' (sometimes none).

I reset my router, unsecured it, removed the firewall, ticked the TCP/IP and DNS to auto, tried to reload the card driver but nothing worked. Sometimes it would not detect my wireless network at all. My son's PC is only 25 feet in a straight line (through a few plaster walls) from the router. I moved my router 12 inches away from the main PC onto the wooden bookcase then turned my son's PC 90 degrees so the newtork card antennae would be the shortest distance possible (instead of being tucked in behind the PC and in the corner of his cupboard/desk area).

It made all the difference with it receiving a 'very good' signal but NO downtime and constant packets being received. Hopes this helps somebody as i tried everything that was suggested on all the forums with no help.

p.s. I have secured my network again and after some months of frustration my personal signal has gone from 'very good' to very happy' Ray (Australia)

Collapse -
STILL STUCK!
by pharaohincubi / November 16, 2007 2:53 AM PST

I'm still stuck. I think I also have the same problem. I dont know how on earth it happened, one day everything was fine, and the next my internet doesnt work and I cannot system restore. I've looked around on the internet and cant find any thing that works. I have noticed though that my connection is sending packets, but not recieving any. I thought it might be something to do with the IP address and it was suggested I set my computer to find the IP address automatically. Turned out that it was already set to that, so now I really just dont know what to do. PLEASE! Any help is MUUUUUUUCH appreciated.
Thanks

Mike

Collapse -
Same Dang problem
by elmodorhpo / December 22, 2007 1:47 AM PST
In reply to: STILL STUCK!

my connection is sending packets, but not recieving any

The second I plug in a network cable or turn on wireless data starts going out. I can see this on the wireless status under Activity it shows about 1,000 packets outbound per 5 seconds and nothing inbound. It cripples my computer and I can?t open any files. If I disconnect the network connection or wireless the computer works perfect. When looking at the task manager nothing is running at that capacity. It shows my system as being idle.

Can someone guide me into investigating why So much data is showing outbound yet nothing is showing running. I was on explorer when the computer started locking up. When I disabled the wireless it worked perfectly.

Using XP Professional fully updated to date.

I ran Spybot, and Norton Nothing weird is showing up.

Please help!

FYI This is the first time something has stumped me since my old Apple IIE days. That?s 24 years of geekhood and I?m bloody stumped for the first time.

Great problem to have just before Christmas I can?t think straight I?m so obsessed with this problem.

Collapse -
Update
by elmodorhpo / December 22, 2007 2:30 AM PST
In reply to: Same Dang problem

I just ran ipconfig and received an error message
An internal error occurred: A device attached to the system is not functioning. Please contact Microsoft Product Support for further help.

Collapse -
Update after 15 hours of messing with it.
by elmodorhpo / December 22, 2007 4:42 AM PST
In reply to: Same Dang problem

The second I plug in a network cable or turn on wireless data starts going out. I can see this on the wireless status under Activity it shows about 1,000 packets outbound per 5 seconds and nothing inbound. It cripples my computer and I can?t open any files. If I disconnect the network connection or wireless the computer works perfect. When looking at the task manager nothing is running at that capacity. It shows my system as being idle.

Can someone guide me into investigating why So much data is showing outbound yet nothing is showing running. I was on explorer when the computer started locking up. When I disabled the wireless it worked perfectly.

Using XP Professional fully updated to date.

I ran Spybot, and Norton Nothing weird is showing up.

I just ran ipconfig and received an error message
An internal error occurred: A device attached to the system is not functioning. Please contact Microsoft Product Support for further help.

More things I learned if I place the think pad on my docking station at work it works perfect. It stops sending datat.

If I use it on a VPN from home it sends data but it works I can open files. If the VPN is not active I can?t use the computer.

I downloaded the Newest driver from IBM and I am not showing the ipconfig error any more.

I?m still broke but I have found a way around it 15 hours into this issue.

Please help if this rings a bell for you!

FYI This is the first time something has stumped me since my old Apple IIE days. That?s 24 years of geekhood and I?m bloody stumped for the first time.

Great problem to have just before Christmas I can?t think straight I?m so obsessed with this problem.

Collapse -
Things to check
by PudgyOne / December 22, 2007 5:14 PM PST
Collapse -
No luck pudgyOne
by elmodorhpo / December 22, 2007 9:38 PM PST
In reply to: Things to check

PudgyOne

I tried those steps when I updated the driver and I was able to see the IP address, and reset it. Currently Data will flow both ways but it is always sending packets, when it is sending it renders my desktop useless. If you attempt open a file it takes about a minute. If you turn of the wireless it opens immediately

Thank you for your help, I tried the steps a second time no luck. I'm currently 16 hrs into this issue.

Collapse -
You said
by PudgyOne / December 23, 2007 12:53 AM PST
In reply to: No luck pudgyOne
If you turn of the wireless it opens immediately

This could ten to tell you there could be some type of spyware.

Try running some of the tools from here in post 2

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=238606&messageID=2432058

Also look for drivers for your wireless card & adapters

Everest Home Edition will help, if you do NOT know.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Everest-Home-Edition.shtml

Also make sure the firmware is up to date in your wireless router

Broadcast SSID
Use WPA security, WEP can be hacked

If you have to go into the router to make any changes, I would try pressing the reset button in the wireless router for 30 seconds. This will reset it to factory settings. Set it up according to the Forum Sticky. Give it a new SSID name to help you connect everything easier.

Rick
Collapse -
SAME PROBLEM : received packets stays at 0
by livinglegend222 / January 26, 2008 11:17 AM PST
In reply to: You said

hello all, a router is connected to my pc, and my laptop connects via wireless network to that router. Had no problems for 2 years, all of the sudden, no more connection. Says its connected, but stays on 'acquiring network address' and never ends up connecting. I manually entered the ip address in the internet protocol propreties. This solved the connection problem....BUT: problem now is: Status is connected, Speed is at 54.0 Mbps, signal strenght is at its max...but the RECEIVED PACKETS stay at 0 (while the sent ones move up)...this resulting in NO INTERNET. does someone have a REAL Answer to this problem?
* I have to add that once in a while, the received packets do all of the sudden start moving on up...and the internet works...its stays like this for about 5 minutes...and then....the received packet number stalls...and the internet stops once again for hours at a time.

Please help
Thank you.

Collapse -
Sending Packets but Not Recieving
by aitch303 / December 19, 2008 1:53 PM PST
In reply to: STILL STUCK!

I also read all of the above and found auto detection of IP address already enabled. My computer hadn't moved in over a year but I unpluged the wireless card and reinserted it and moved it to the best location possible...no effect. Then I decided to enable the "Use Windows to Configure My Wireless Network Settings" and hit OK and let that run. THAT WORKED. Many settings were enabled and now I am on-line once again. To get there, go to Control Panel->Wireless Network Connections. Right click on Network Connection, select Wireless Networks tab, check 'Use Windows to Configure My Wireless Network Settings" and hit OK.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.