Networking & Wireless

General discussion

Connect two wireless routers together?

by webmaster06 / June 8, 2006 7:07 AM PDT

Okay, here's the setup. I have a wireless router in the secretary's office (it's a Netgear RangeMax WPN824). The problem I am experiencing is that computers about 100 feet away (connected wirelessly with cinder block walls) get very little signal. What I want to do is lay a wire from the router in the secretary's office to another router in another room (known as router B). What I think I should do is plug an ethernet wire into the router in secretary's office, and plug it into the Internet port on the back of router B. Will this work? and what steps do I need to take if it won't? Does router B need to be a netgear as well? I'd rather get a linksys, but if a netgear is required, fine. Please let me know, and please be detailed and clear.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connect two wireless routers together?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connect two wireless routers together?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only one router can.....
by Michael Geist / June 8, 2006 7:17 AM PDT

act as the DHCP server on this network. The other must have this setting turned off and it's IP set to the upper end of the range. Not an easy setup but Netgear support can help.

Collapse -
Or you can just get a repeater/range expander OR
by Gakada / June 8, 2006 3:18 PM PDT

you can have wireless router accesspoint and set it up using the same name and password as the first one.. (you can also create two different wireless area ion your office, if you want too)

Collapse -
The second router needs to be configured differently
by pratapan / June 10, 2006 3:32 AM PDT

What you really need is just an AP. But these typically cost $100+. You can buy a cheap SOHO router and just use the switch and AP functionality to extend your wireless. To do this, do not use the WAN port, turn off the dhcp server and configure the same essid name but a different channel.

If you connect the routers in Series,
---wan[router1]lan----wan[router2]lan---

Both routers are doing NAT and your IP address will change as you switch Wireless APs. IM will drop as well as VPN or other types of connections like the mail server.

One other thing that may or may not be a problem. You have the Netgear Rangemax gear. That product is optimized for other products that also support RangeMax extensions. If you buy another vendor your performance will degrade for the Nics that support Rangemax. Most laptops are currently vanilla 802.11b/g so this may not be an issue.

SKrall

Collapse -
Connect two wireless router together
by exoticaquarist1 / June 16, 2006 9:43 AM PDT

Buy a Access Point that will work as a repeater, that will allow you to 'extend' the coverage area of the first router. Just make sure the AP you buy will work as a repeater, they are fairly easy to set up and you just place the AP/repeater somewhere that has power and that is all it needs. (No ethernet cable required just 120v AC.) you are basicly making a range extender. So unless you want the work, just buy a range extender, or several if needed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.