Mac OS forum

Connect to a Laser Writer Pro 600?

by 1234Doug / December 15, 2012 7:12 AM PST

Hi I have an old Apple LWPro 600 printer that used to be hooked up to an OS 7 model, which i no longer use. But i'm still using my G3 Imac (red) with OS 9.0.4 (too lazy to upgrade). And wondering if i can hook it up to the 600. I searched the web from my Windows XP pro laptap for a driver to use...but so far no luck. Maybe I haven't looked far enough. Any ideas?

The printer has an RS232 serial port, a local talk/RS-422 port and a Centronics parallel port.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connect to a Laser Writer Pro 600?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connect to a Laser Writer Pro 600?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
So it's a postscript printer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 7:39 AM PST has the specs.

XP has many PostScript drivers for you to try. As to the ports, use what your XP machine has. However I found most owners to explode trying to get serial RS232 to work.
Collapse -
To connect that printer to your iMac you would
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 8:55 PM PST

need either an Ethernet to AppleTalk(LocalTalk) adapter or a USB to AppleTalk(LocalTalk) adapter.

There used to be a number of these around, back in the day, one of which was produced by Asante.

Hawking may produce a print server that will go from Ethernet to Serial.

There was also a device made by Farallon which turned Ethernet into AppleTalk.

Google would probably help with those three devices.

As for drivers, take a look at this site:

Collapse -
Time travel.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 11:54 PM PST

Most if not all laptops from the XP era had parallel ports. I see Centronics parallel listed so that's less work than the adapters.

I remember using many LaserWriters back then. The stock PostScript drivers did fine.

Collapse -
Thats true but the iMac G3 never did have a Centronics port
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: Time travel.

and this guy is trying to run it on that platform.

The XP box was only mentioned as the search platform for the driver

Collapse -
(NT) Oops. I misread it. Thought they were going from XP laptop
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 7:26 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks Bob for pursuing the option of an XP hookup
by 1234Doug / December 18, 2012 10:11 AM PST
In reply to: Time travel.

My IBM think pad has a 15 pin port on the right side. Is that the serial port? Regarding a possible there a website that offers easy to understand steps for downloading the right driver? The few sites i've been to so far have been confusing. One download was unreadable/unrunable.

Thanks "P" for your info on hooking up to the IMAC. I made a reply to your message but somewhere in the middle i punched a wrong key or group of keys and the whole reply disappeared and i was unable to get back to it so maybe i am repeating something that is already out there somewhere: I checked the OS 9 harddrive and found the ALWPro 600 listed there in the system's folder. So hopefully i won't need to download a driver. Good thing too because i got lost on the website you showed (link) and couldn't find any Mac drivers. For the hardware, i got lucky again: my local computer recycler had one (the last one?) Asante printer box (ethernet to appletalk). So hopefully i'll be in business. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
15 pin should be VGA.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2012 10:21 AM PST

25 pin ports were not uncommon in the XP era. And I never had to load a driver as there were plenty of PostScript printers to choose from XP.

If you recall those days, Apple was firing salvos at that other company on an idea called "Desktop Publishing" which we sort of take for granted today. To strike back, they included a lot of printers that would print that sort of output.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.