Samsung forum

General discussion

connect PC to TV

by kallen420 / August 18, 2009 12:24 AM PDT

Hi, I have a new Samsung LCD HD TV LN40b530 and I am trying to connect my HP DV9000 lap top to it so I can watch movies from Netflix.
I bought the D Sub cable and that worked, the picture from computer is now on TV, but when I tried to connect the audio it won't work. I bout a cable that has a red and white ends on one side and a single one on the other. I tried to connect the single one to the computer and the other 2 to the TV but I don't get any sound. The cabe I bought says Stereo Y adapter and the store clerk said it should work. Do I have the correct cable? If not what do I need and how should I connect it. When I spoke to the tech at your company he told me to connect it into the spot right next to where the D Sub cable goes on the TV, but there is no area right next to it. There is one for a red and white above it to the right and one on the bottom. Please help, I'm tired of going to stores here and talking to people who don't know what they are doing. I'm not complaining about your tech's they have been very helpful.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: connect PC to TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: connect PC to TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
connect PC to TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 18, 2009 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: connect PC to TV

kallen420,

If you're facing the jackpack on the back of the television, the audio in for the PC is to the right of the 15-pin input. Here's a diagram of what you should see behind the television:

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/40b530jackpack.jpg

To the right of the input, it says PC Audio - that's where that input will go.

So the input should be a 3.5mm male connection to a 3.5mm male connection. Try that out and keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Bigger pic
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 18, 2009 5:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks.
by kallen420 / August 19, 2009 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Bigger pic

I found the right place, but my problem was I was putting the two ends in the slots next to each other (red & white) when I changed that and just put the one (white) in the sound came through the TV.

I really appreciate your quick answer, one suggestion I have is when you explain to people who can't find the right place to put the cord end, tell them it has a plastic cover and it says audio in above that. My problem was I was looking for a red or white hole to place it in, I didn't know it was plastic. When I finally looked closely and I saw the audio in and just tried to put it in below and it worked.
Thanks again, now I'm trying to play a movie from netflix but it won't enlarge to the full size of the screen. Is that because my computer doesn't go to 1080P?
Kathy

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 19, 2009 4:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks.

kallen420,

I tested this out on two different sized monitors, so hopefully this will help you.

An easy way is to get full screen with your current resolution is to start the movie, then press ALT+ENTER. This should full screen the browser and remove the toolbars. From there, you can click on the FULL SCREEN button on the webpage showing the movie, and you should be set to go. To get out of full screen, press ESC.

You may have black bars on the sides for 4x3 movies, or on the top and bottom for 16x9, but this is normal. If you have four black bars, then your settings aren't optimum.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
hdmi connection
by mamontano / September 29, 2009 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Thanks.

Wouldn't the hdmi connection be better than d-sub for video and
composite for audio?

Collapse -
hdmi connection
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 1, 2009 3:59 PM PDT
In reply to: hdmi connection

mamontano,

If your computer has an HDMI, it will provide a lossless digital signal compared to the D-Sub's digital-to-analog-to-digital connection. But the computer has to be able to send that signal, and in some cases, the driver has to be updated.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Connect PC to TV
by psheth12 / September 28, 2009 11:12 PM PDT

While this will not address your issue of connectivity, it will help you with a better user experience once you resolve your connectivity issue.

To better navigate Netflix and other online content on your TV, you may want to try the Loop pointerin-air mouse remote control for TV. You simply use natural hand motions and the cursor on the screen responds to those motions. Now you can browse and easily control all online content on your TV - without dragging a mouse across your couch or coffee table.

Collapse -
HP PC to new HDTV
by jbnola56 / September 29, 2009 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Connect PC to TV

Hello. I just today bought a LE37B553 TV. I have a HP Pavilion DV6000 notebook. I've reading this post and also need help with the audio and video connections. From what I'm reading, I guess I need to get a 15 pin VGA cable plus something that connects the headjack on the notebook to the single audio jack on the back of the TV. It seems the connections on the side of the TV are useless for this.

What sort of cable should I get for this?

Thanks

John

Collapse -
HP PC to new HDTV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 1, 2009 6:29 PM PDT
In reply to: HP PC to new HDTV
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.