Connect Panasonic GT50 and VT50 to WD my book essential 3tb

by Jamesnero / April 16, 2013 8:25 PM PDT

Hi guys,

My device is:
a. Panasonic 55"GT50
b. Panasonic 65"VT50
c. Panasonic DMP-BDT220
c. WD my book Essential 3TB NTFS

Need some advice on how to play the files inside the hard disk. I've tried to connect through USB 3.0 but result is always device not detected

Any share of successful experience?

Thanks in advance,
James

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connect Panasonic GT50 and VT50 to WD my book essential 3tb
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connect Panasonic GT50 and VT50 to WD my book essential 3tb
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
NTFS file system on Panasonic HDTV???
by Sandy77-77 / April 19, 2013 10:12 PM PDT

Hi guy, I have just a question about the file system on USB device that I can connect to a Panasonic HDTV (WT50): are you sure that the tv is able to read the ntfs file system?
I ask this because on the panasonic TV manual I read that the only file systems supported are FAT16, FAT32 and exFAT... I'm very confused... Confused

Collapse -
I believe many of the Panny's made in 2011 and newer...
by Pepe7 / April 22, 2013 1:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
VT50/NTFS
by khisel / June 11, 2013 3:53 AM PDT

I have confirmed that the VT50 will support NTFS on the USB ports, but you probably don't want to use it. The implementation of NTFS is half-baked and incredibly slow. I reformatted a 128GB stick to NTFS so I could conveniently watch video files >4GB. Big mistake. Everything slowed to a crawl--even simple picture browsing and mp3 playing. Honestly, it was almost unusable; in fact it WAS unusable to watch high-bitrate video material and just locked up. Switching back to FAT32 solved all these problems. Luckily Handbrake allows you to split up video files into smaller chunks so I can still watch high-bitrate material although even FAT32 will occasionally skip a frame or two. So even though the VT50 now supports NTFS, avoid it if you can!

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: disk
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 16, 2013 8:58 PM PDT

Are you sure your devices are compatible with so large a disk that is partitioned in another way (GPT) than smaller disks (MBR)? What does the user manual say? What does Panasonic customer service say?

If not supported, your choices are limited:
1. Use a smaller MBR formatted disk
2. Buy devices that can handle GPT partitioned disk
3. Wait until Panasonic issues new firmware for their devices.

Kees

Collapse -
GPT, MBR??
by Jamesnero / April 18, 2013 8:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: disk

Hi Kees_B,

I don't quite get you. What is GPT and MBR?

I've tried to plug in 2GB USB mobile disk and it just works. but not the 3TB WD.

Collapse -
Re: GPT, MBR
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 18, 2013 8:55 PM PDT
In reply to: GPT, MBR??
Collapse -
GPT, MBR
by Jamesnero / April 19, 2013 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: GPT, MBR

Hi Kees,

Thanks for the link and I kinda understand more now than ever.

As for the support of panny, I'm now in Indonesia. So Customer service in here is quite limited in product knowledge.

I may take your advice on buying the device that can handle the HDD, something like popcorn a-400, I assume it can work though.

James.

Collapse -
Answer
You are repeating prior trials.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2013 1:29 AM PDT

If you read prior questions you discover your average Smart TV may not support USB 3.0 or such a large drive.

Forgive me but it's sad to read when folk exclaim "but USB 3.0 is backwards compatible." Sure, you tell that to the device that didn't work. You also have the second issue of a drive size that didn't exist when the folk that wrote the code were chiseling out the work.

When I want this to work I get a boring old 500GB USB 2.0 drive. That way I only have to deal with video encoding issues.
Bob

Collapse -
USB port
by Jamesnero / April 18, 2013 8:44 PM PDT

Hi R. Proffitt,

I looked at the back of TV, and I saw four HDMI port, 2 USB port, and 1 USB 3.0 port.

Yeah, on your advice with the boring old 500GB USB 2.0 drive. Happy
I've been thinking about that or maybe I should buy some Media player.
But before all this, I thought like let's give it a try and ask someone from the forum. Maybe it's just me with this problem. Still it seems I need to spend some more cash on it to make it work..

Thanks for the advice thou..

Collapse -
NICE!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2013 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: USB port

Good to see the USB 3.0 on appliances as that will help with what I've seen happen.

There's one other issue with drives that draw power from USB, but that's well discussed and another area you know that can be trouble. Frankly I wonder how the TV makers are going to support folk on this.

My bet is that consumers are going to flame the makers about this.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Other methods for accessing the files work better
by Pepe7 / April 17, 2013 2:45 AM PDT

My advice? Skip connecting any external drive directly to the Panny plasmas. Proper support for this functionality is still merely an afterthought. They add it to the lists of features just to get you in the door, essentially.

My successes have only been with a few smaller drives, like Bob has suggested. And not all of those older externals were properly recognized either, FWIW. My solution was to utilize a media player such as an WD Live TV. Not only does this avoid compatibility issues of the HDTV firmware that can't read certain devices, you gain the ability to play back practically any file/format/codec you like. It also connects via HDMI to the HDTV, which is normally preferable over USB of any flavor. [Can you say 1080p? Wink ]

Collapse -
Media Player
by Jamesnero / April 18, 2013 8:49 PM PDT

Hi Pepe7,

Yeah, I've been thinking bout that too. Media player could be the better solution.
Which brand of media player have you tried, I mean like you recommend. A friend of mine suggested the Popcorn A-400. Would like to hear your opinion on this one.

Thanks for the advice.

Collapse -
streamers, etc.
by Pepe7 / April 19, 2013 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Media Player

FWIW, I've tried Apple TV, a few Roku boxes, and a WDTV Live. The only one that plays back nearly everything I throw at it is the WDTV device. Interface leaves something to be desired (not Plex, clearly), but it's still acceptable IMHO. Of course everyone's going to have a different opinion on prioritizing the GUI issue.

Haven't had the opportunity to try out a Popcorn yet. Looks very promising(!)

Nothing beats a HTPC though. People forget that you can simply leave the desktop where it is in the home and run cables for IR blaster/HDMI video to the HDTV to make the HT space 'cleaner' per se, but gain the 100% customizing of what software/hardware you choose on the HTPC.

hth

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.