Computer Help forum

General discussion

Connect LCD TV to Computer and Internet

by scott.nunley / August 10, 2008 9:51 AM PDT

I have a Panasonic LCD TV that I want to connect to my computer (vista) so that I can use it as a montor and surf the web. What do I need?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connect LCD TV to Computer and Internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connect LCD TV to Computer and Internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Connect LCD TV to Computer and Internet
by prabodh79 / September 6, 2008 4:20 AM PDT

Hello Scott,

I think this is a good question. First you need to check if your LCD TV has a slot on the back side, just like your moniter has on the back where you attached the cable from the CPU. if it has then you need to read manual of your LCD TV, because now a days all LCD TV supports computer payback. So if you have purchased LCD TV recently say not more than 9 months back. then its very much possible just check and try what i have mentioned above. I am using my LCD TV as a moniter sometimes or for a change.

I hope this helps....
Cheers......

Collapse -
Most Certainly
by High Desert Charlie / September 12, 2008 1:09 PM PDT

Nearly all LCD TVs these days have a computer monitor input "D-Sub" connection. If your laptop has DVI output, you can also purchase a cable that converts DVI to HDMI so if your TV supports 1080p you can take full advantage of it.

Collapse -
Re:
by prantik91 / September 12, 2008 1:52 PM PDT

If you are using a laptop or a notebook then S-Video Cable is also an option for making the Tv work as an external display.I'm sure the LCD must be having an S-Video Port but do confirm whether your PC has one.

Collapse -
You need the proper video card
by GENE8 / September 13, 2008 10:31 AM PDT

You need a video card that has either an HDTV/S-Video connector or an HDMI connector. An HDMI connector is the best one to have, since is it specially designed for an HDTV and carries an audio signal. The HDTV/S-Video connector is best used for connecting your PC to a older TV that has a S-Video input, but no HDMI or DVI inputs. If your video card has a DVI connector, you can use that also for your TV. Try to use a dual-link DVI-D cable if you're going to use the DVI connector for your TV, since that type of cable provides the highest bandwidth and resolution of all DVI cables.

Collapse -
Connecting PC to T.V.
by blurrier / September 14, 2008 2:27 AM PDT

You can also connect your PC to your T.V. using a DVI/VGA cable. You will also need to get an RCA 'Y' adapter,plug it into the computer earphone jack, and run 2 RCA cables to the audio input on your T.V. The picture isn't as good as it would be if you used a DVI/HDMI cable, but it's better than a DVI/S-video connection. I like to stream full episodes from the NBC website (such as Late night with Conan O'brian, Alfred Hitchcock, Fear Itself, etc.) Good luck with your connection.

Collapse -
Picture size
by samlangdon / February 27, 2009 8:44 AM PST
In reply to: Connecting PC to T.V.

I have my computer hooked up to my Sony XBR4 52in LCD via VGA cable. I have the connection on my TV. The problem I am having Is I want the picture to fill the screen. It currently only fills in the middle third. How can i do this. I have adjusted the video output to no avail. What can i do? Do i need a bigger better video card or just live with the picture size? Thanks

Collapse -
check it out
by johnnys_tech / May 20, 2011 8:19 AM PDT

I had pre-ordered the Channel Master power line 4 port adapter. Now i have great connection to my x-box, tv, and living-room computer and all I have is one router hooked up in my bedroom. Set up must have taken less than a minute to figure out (even without instructions). This product is seriously brilliant! Highly recommended

Collapse -
How do connect Entertainment Bridge to Samsung Plasma TV
by TonyPerez24 / January 1, 2014 1:14 AM PST

I recently purchased a 64 inch Samdung television; model PN64E633D2F. I desire to connect the relevision to the internet so i can get stuff like netflix. I have been able to accomplish this trough an x-box but would prefer to use a device just for this so I can few up the xbox for game use on another television/

I have a cisco LinksysE1000 Router. Customer support at lINKSYS suggested that I obtain a 4 port dual Entertainment Bridge, model WES10n. When I attempted to hook the bridge to the tv i was unable to because the out line for the Bridge was an ethernet cable and the ports for the tv are everything but ethernet (USB, EX-Linnk, HDM, and component AV-In) What can I do to make that connection? Is there a cable made this is ethernet for the out put of the Entertainment Bridge and one of the ports for going into the television?

Collapse -
lcd
by emmaharward789 / May 17, 2014 10:26 PM PDT

this is a great idea to choose the LCD...u do the lcd attach the cpu...no more things u do...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.