Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

connect laptop via dial up modem over a cell phone

by jeffsedlak / May 2, 2004 10:28 AM PDT

For limited travel, I would like to connect to the internet with the dial up modem in my laptop using my cell phone, I have a USB cable that came with drivers to connect the two but I keep getting errors that claim the USB device is not recognized when I plug the phone in. Even if it were recognized, cell phones don't have dial tones so how would I get the modem to dial out?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: connect laptop via dial up modem over a cell phone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: connect laptop via dial up modem over a cell phone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:connect laptop via dial up modem over a cell phone
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2004 10:06 PM PDT

I can see where many would be confused.

The USB to the cell phone does not provide a signal path from the modem to the cell phone. It's to do other things depending on what they offer.

Seek another solution.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:connect laptop via dial up modem over a cell phone
by jeffsedlak / May 6, 2004 1:20 PM PDT

thanks for the reply! Do you know? is there any way I can use the dial up modem in the laptop over a cell phone connection? I know it's far from broadband, but it is only for the one or two times a year when I am travelling and no reasonably priced connection is available.

jeff

Collapse -
Yes. I know, but it depends on what hardware we have and its capabilities.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2004 12:42 AM PDT

Some cell phones don't have a means to connect to a modem .

You may need a better cell phone. Bottom line? Have the cell phone people show you the setup with your model phone.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Yes. I know, but it depends on what hardware we have an

Best way is to get other city dial-up numbers that your service provider provides.Most of your ISP's have a mass number of dial-up numbers for all states.

Collapse -
Re: connect laptop via dial up modem over a cell phone
by cunal / August 30, 2004 2:16 AM PDT

Get in touch with your cell provider. When using a cell to accesses the internet you dont need your modem you use the Cell co. line which diles for you. It is usauly slow. If you conctect your cell Comanpy they will put yu in touch with teh haardware yu need. its usualy runs from $45 to &75 bucks. depening on which phone you have, I use mine a lot and have always had good service as long as you are on your cell Co. tower if you rome it wont work.

Collapse -
Are you still able to do it?
by cheezehead11 / June 26, 2008 4:55 AM PDT

Are you still able to use your cell as dial up modem?
Please let me know what phone model, assesory, and software you are using. Thanks.

Collapse -
Any one know how?
by harry2494 / August 13, 2008 5:17 AM PDT

To whoever knows,

Please let me know how to use cell phone to do the modem dial-up to other phone number if you know.
I don't want to connect to internet, I like to connect to other PC with modem so I can connect to that PC when I am on the road.

Which hardware, what company and which service is needed?

I guess I need the dial tone to make the call but how?

I know we can use cell + data plan so you can connect to internet but that is not what I want.

Regards,
harry2494

Collapse -
connecting to internet
by viperrey / November 20, 2008 12:05 PM PST
In reply to: Any one know how?

Anyway you should have cell phone datacable at least. Second thing is cell phone network provider. Your phone plan should have data/fax transmitting option enabled. Only if these options ready, you can connect to Dial-Up ISPs, using software provided with your cell.
Peter S.
LAN chat team

Collapse -
use my motoral as a modem to connect to the Internet
by sothonod / January 28, 2009 3:53 PM PST
In reply to: connecting to internet

I was able to connect my cell from my laptop with the correct driver using a usb cable. I can communicate from my pc to the cell but I did not find a software that let me call my dialup connection using US-cellular. any idea? If my cell can be used as a modem it should not matter what carrier I'm using?

Collapse -
not reply to you
by harry2494 / August 13, 2008 5:22 AM PDT

Sorry,

Previous post is not to reply to you.
Just similar question as yours.

Harry

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.